Thai Gay, Transgender Rights Group

AlexLah

No, I suspect he mixes up the 'accepting' west where you'll still likely to have the crap beaten out of you (Mathhew Shepherd anyone?) with 'tolerating' Thailand where you're left alone to live your life.

Edited by cophen

In my opinion to accept someone means give people the same rights no matter what or who they are.

What I would like to know if there is some kind of group that fights for their rights.

Example, same sex marriage.

Is there a group in Thailand that try to have the law changed and have equal rights for gay, Lesbian, TG people?

Hi all,

Friend of me like to know if there is a group in Thailand that fights for the rights of Gay, lesbian and transgender people.

Alex

If you look at the link 16 topics down about the ILGA-Asia Regional Conference i think you'll find some information.

In my opinion to accept someone means give people the same rights no matter what or who they are.

What I would like to know if there is some kind of group that fights for their rights.

Example, same sex marriage.

Is there a group in Thailand that try to have the law changed and have equal rights for gay, Lesbian, TG people?

Yes, definitely. There was a group that was actively lobbying to have gay rights included in the latest Thai constitution. Perhaps someone can name that group.

Hi all,

Friend of me like to know if there is a group in Thailand that fights for the rights of Gay, lesbian and transgender people.

Alex

How about google the word "fasiroong"? (Meaning rainbow sky in Thai) Don't know if they work with the right issues specifically, but start from there. If you don't know Thai, drop them an email, or call. They have a hotline number. I'm sure someone can help you.

I know that there is a group led by Khun Natee something. Can't remember his last name. He ran for Bangkok senator before, but did not win the seat. He works on gay issues in Thailand.

Or how about National Human Rights Commission, Thailand?

Edited by noctiluca

Rainbow Sky is the main organization in Bangkok, and I think in Chiang Mai - though they do most of their work on HIV, but a little on LGBT rights. If you google them you will get their wb page - not many of the staff speak english, though

OK, My friend called them and asked why they are not at the PAD protest to at least mention and speak up for equal right for everyone.

No answer other then, Uhhhh uhhhh.

If you peeps are serious you should go there and show some examples of country's where there are same sex marriage and explain it.

I am very much for that (and I am straight).

How about you, do you wanna fight for your right?

Oh you say, gays are accepted and tolerated in Thailand, are you sure?

Tg's are accepted in Thailand.

You remember the TG that wanted to go into CM2?

You all have to go out and educate the people.

That it is not about what you love but who you love.

Now is your moment.

This is happening all around the world.

Why do you sit down in your sofa and do not care?

Thousands of people are there, why not the Thai gay and TG movement?

Oh you say, gays are accepted and tolerated in Thailand, are you sure?

Yes, I do. Until you have spent some time as a gay person in the west with all its anti-discrimination laws and same-sex partnerships you have no idea what discrimination really is. You don't think those laws were passed for fun, do you? They were passed because there was (and still is) enormous discrimination against gays and because they were necessary. There might not be laws protecting gay folks in Thailand but that's mainly because they don't need it. People don't get the crap beaten out of them for being gay in Thailand. Some folks may snigger at them and look down on them but everyone looks down on someone else wherever you go in the world. Stop trying to fix problems that don't exist.

Cophen, I really think you are blind.

In Thailand you are really not accepted.

Do you speak and understand Thai Language?

They make a joke of you, specially if you are Farang and Thai.

Katoys are presented on Thai TV for fun and make joke out of them.

At least in some other country you can marry and have a normal life.

Please do not make a poor example of what is happening outside Thailand.

My questions is : Are Gay people and TG peaple accepted in Thailand?

Cophen, I really think you are blind.

In Thailand you are really not accepted.

Do you speak and understand Thai Language?

They make a joke of you, specially if you are Farang and Thai.

Katoys are presented on Thai TV for fun and make joke out of them.

And you think that passing some law will stop any of that? The reason that there are gay groups that fight for our rights in the west is because in most western countries homosexuality was illegal until the recent past. The groups were formed to change the law. In Thailand homosexuality has never been illegal so there's been no need for the groups to form in the first place.

" ... At least in some other country you can marry and have a normal life ... "

Right ... all six of them (Netherlands, Belgium, Canada, Norway, South Africa, Spain) out of a total of 195.

I think Alex you are trying to view Thailand and it's culture through a very thick set of Western eye glasses. That will get you precisely nowhere in terms of 'understanding' just about anything to do with Thailand. Storm the barricades if that's what makes you happy, but I'm pretty certain 'bemusement' (or laughter) on the part of the Thais will be the dominant reaction.

Cheers ...

Edited by nongkhai

To whom are we talking here? We have been having a big discussion - several - lately on ThaiVisa about farang doing volunteer work for Thai charities and foundations. Fact is, it is illegal. I know of two farang who were deported because they got involved with political causes (one for the Akha people, the other maybe for anti-prostitution activities). Surely we should not volunteer, IMHO.

It is interesting to know which Thai foundations fight for LBGT rights. The LBGT Thais might appreciate our appreciation, if they thought we understood their situation. Neither I nor my lover wish to ask the Rainbow folks why they are not crusading with PAD for gay rights. Does their website tell what they do for gay rights in Thailand?

A gay rights group (FACT - Fraternity for AIDS Cessation in Thailand) was started 20 years ago by Natee Teerarojjanapongs. At the time it was (obviously) dealing with information and misinformation about AIDS. It doesn't seem to have grown very much over the 20 years. Perhaps the Thais don't feel they need groups to defend their rights. I'm sure that if it was important someone would have done something by now. All this 'making sure the Thais have their rights' (according to what we westerners think their rights ought to be) seems a bit colonial to me. Mine's a pink gin and a solar topee what! what!

I think people, perhaps particularly westerners, tend to think Thailand embraces non-st8 lifestyles, which unfortunately is not the case. Tolerance maybe, but definitely not acceptance in my book. But violence against gays in particular are rare, though, thank goodness. Unfortunately, discrimination and bias do exist.

Anyway, sorry to hear that no one so far could help you directly in this cause. IMHO, I don't think there is an actual gay group that deals with gay right issues specifically. There are some overlapping groups that work with right issues, though. I'm not expert in this area, so not sure how much I could help. Nevertheless, I may have some lead that you may want to follow.

I found this article in Bangkok Post in the Outlook section (26 June issue). The title is "Rainbow warrior; Activist Chantalak Raksayoo raises important issues of gender and sexuality." Since I have a feeling that quoting the URL here is not permitted, you may want to google it from the web. Here is some excerpt:

Chantalak, 36, is the founder of Sapaan, an alternative media source for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people (LGBT). When her organisation joined the National Book Fair recently, their booth was searched and three books were banned for portraying "sexually explicit" love scenes between lesbian lovers.

Chantalak is a lesbian activist who believes in the power of media to create public awareness on gay and lesbian rights and, more importantly, to help gays and lesbians feel confident about themselves and to realise their rights to live their lives as equals in society.

Attitudes, however, can change. What's required is increased information and education, said Chantalak. When Anjaree temporarily stopped publishing Anjareesan, Chantalak then started Sapaan in 2003, in an effort to promote positive LGBT issues.

Sapaan has also served as an LGBT consultancy and advocacy group.

To highlight that the opportunity to choose gender and sexuality is a basic human right, Sapaan recently organised a seminar on "The Yogyakarta Principles", which denounce discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation and gender identity as well as promote the need to recognise the rights of transgendered individuals.

Hopefully, this may help lead you to what you want to know. You may google the word "sapaan". The first link should lead you to their web site. The email and phone number are at the bottom of the page. Unfortunately, the web site is in Thai, though.

I think Thai people in general have sympathy for people with alternative lifestyles, but misunderstanding and bias abound. Many folks don't even understand human rights. Some consider those who advocate human rights as nuisance. They are not used to people demand and protest for something. Sometimes, I think they think right campaigners demand for "special" rights, which is ridiculous. Because in the end it's the rights for all, them included. Essentially, gay rights is also human rights. So, nothing wrong if we demand for our rights, as long as people don't forget that rights also come with duties and responsibilities, IMHO. :o

I feel personally indebted to a lesbian woman's activist group (perhaps Noctiluca can remember their name?) who campaigned successfully some years back to overturn a law some ignorant administration tried to institute preventing gays and lesbians from being hired for public teaching jobs.

Nice to see you back posting on here, Noctiluca.

On the tired old chestnut of gay "acceptance" in Thailand, I would offer some advice to make the argument a bit more meaningful this time around: anyone who wants to say that Thailand is or is not accepting of gay persons/relationships should express a specific list of exactly what "accepting" means. You might find that you are not really arguing over the same thing, which would save a lot of time.

When I describe what it is about Thailand that makes me happier to be a gay man here, I prefer not to speak on those terms, but rather to say that Thailand has very little homophobia. Guys can touch and hug each other as friends, sleep in the same bed, and do and wear all sorts of things that in the homoerotically paranoid English-speaking countries would immediately have a man branded an evil fairy for life. Ironically, when I'm in "straight" mode (around company to whom I'm not really 'out') most straight Thai men are far more outrageous than I am. I'm not being self-complimentary in saying this- if it weren't for years of paranoia and strict social barriers, maybe I could be more relaxed publicly, too. Some sociologists have claimed that the homophobia of many countries hurts not only their gay populations, for the obvious reasons, but also their straight male populations for the reason that they are never socially allowed the same affection and support for each other that women and gay men can routinely take for granted. In this country, the straight (and gay) men enjoy the rare privilege of being allowed to show affection for each other.

"S"

I feel personally indebted to a lesbian woman's activist group (perhaps Noctiluca can remember their name?) who campaigned successfully some years back to overturn a law some ignorant administration tried to institute preventing gays and lesbians from being hired for public teaching jobs.

Nice to see you back posting on here, Noctiluca.

Something like Anjalee or Anchalee, perhaps. Not too sure about that.

Thanks, Ijustwannateach. Well, I do lurk in here from time to time. I was away for a couple of months, and no access to Net on regular basis. My laptop started to behave badly, and that too kept me away. I even missed out on that "Love of Siam" movie discussion. :o Wish I had more time to contribute as a regular board member, though. :D

I agree with you that homophobia is not a serious threat here in LOS, but it doesn't mean it does not exist, though. Well, probably in a different form from the one you find in the West (or in some countries with certain religions :D ), i.e. violence or prosecution. Well, it may not even be classified as the so-called homophobia, but surely fear, bias, stigma, and discrimination--or at the very least misunderstanding--still exist. Perhaps to a lesser degree, mainly just because we are not into confrontational mode as in western practice.

Apart from entertainment, fashion, or hospitality business, or even artist circle, I don't see a public figure or a role model who is open about his/her sexual orientation. Of course, we exist in every social circle, in any professional and educational levels, but most of us still have to carefully choose which side of us we want others to see, depending upon location, situation, and who you are with. You don't see a publicly open person as head of a government or a big corporation, do you? Well, not any time soon, yet. <I'm sure some of them are gay, but the point is they are not open about it, and there is a reason for that.>

I remember last time when a gay rights group with well-intention proposed to address the legal status of transvestite or transsexual people in the 2007 Constitution, there were outcries from people (usually the conservative traditionalists), who claimed that it was against the "proper Thai" tradition or culture, whatever that is. And we haven't talked about the legal rights or equal rights in "marriage" yet.

It all comes down to "place" or status in Thai culture I think. In certain professions, entertainment or fashion circle for example, gays are common, accepted, or celebrated even, but it is not so for the rest. It is as if they expect us to be in those circles only. That's fine. You can be great and successful in your field at your level, as long as you don't step outside, it is ok with us. Those are your fields. Blah blah blah...

I know this is common in most other countries as well, not just specific to Thailand. But that's my point. Once we can whole-heartedly accept, for example a gay (or lesbian) prime minister, or more realistically equal rights, then I would say homophobia--for a lack of better word--is not an issue.

Just my thought. :D