Online Hotel Booking

Felt 35

Hi!

I usually book hotels through asiarooms.com or asiahotels.com.

However It seems from their webpage that www.agoda.com is cheaper for the same hotels.

Would like to hear if anyone have experience with using them!

Regards :o

Hi!

However It seems from their webpage that www.agoda.com is cheaper for the same hotels.

I have been using them over the last two years. Booked with them several times and never had a problem whatsoever. Can recommend the service and since company is based in Singapore my credit card is safer. Even their chat service in connection with bookings is excellent.

Hi!

I always use agoda.. They are fine..

I have found sawadee.com (and r24 which is affiliated) is often cheaper than Agoda (they are often a killer because they add the taxes after the initial price quote). I always check both sites to compare as sometimes some have special deals (stay 5 pay for 4nightrs etc). The variations in price can be surprising. Also latestays.com can have really good prices if you are booking within two weeks of staying. I have used all three sites numerous times and never had any problems with credit cards, or reservations when I've got to the hotel

I also always check the hotel website, very occasionally they have the best deals.

I also use tripadvisor.com/ - they have reviews of nearly every hotel there is - from past customers. Can have some useful info about hotels, locations etc.

Edited by Sporting Dog

I have found sawadee.com (and r24 which is affiliated) is often cheaper than Agoda (they are often a killer because they add the taxes after the initial price quote). I always check both sites to compare as sometimes some have special deals (stay 5 pay for 4nightrs etc). The variations in price can be surprising. Also latestays.com can have really good prices if you are booking within two weeks of staying. I have used all three sites numerous times and never had any problems with credit cards, or reservations when I've got to the hotel

I also always check the hotel website, very occasionally they have the best deals.

I also use tripadvisor.com/ - they have reviews of nearly every hotel there is - from past customers. Can have some useful info about hotels, locations etc.

Agree with the above. I have noticed that some of the online sites seem to be trying to increase margins and are now actually more expensive than the hotels' own websites. Booking direct can indeed ocassionally be cheaper than the agents, especially if you do not want breakfast. Examples where I found this to be true earlier this year were the Sofitel and Chareon Thani Princess - both in Khon Kaen.

Edited by citizen33

and since company is based in Singapore my credit card is safer

Agree - good service from Agoda, but they are based in BKK, not SG.

Not according to other sources including their own website. The credit card charges always show as Singapore too.

Agoda was one of the pioneers in online booking and is incorporated in Singapore for tax reasons and as they are able to us E-Clearing to process credit card payments. They may advertise in Thai Baht, but they cannot process in Thai Baht.

E-Clearing is a Dynamic Credit Card processor which offers merchants kickbacks for each transaction. You must process in one of 12 currencies such as Gbp, Euro, Yen, Sgd Usd to name a few. Basically the customer is losing 2-4 % on each transaction( May be more as Agoda is a big player)

Not only that, Agoda add on a minimum of 21% on their nett rates from hotels/wholesalers. Thats at least double what the cheapest companies do. Thats to pay for their reward programme. They only show you the price with taxes and service fees at the end screen when a minimum of 21% is added.

I have found sawadee.com (and r24 which is affiliated) is often cheaper than Agoda...

...Booking direct can indeed ocassionally be cheaper than the agents, especially if you do not want breakfast. Examples where I found this to be true earlier this year were the Sofitel and Chareon Thani Princess - both in Khon Kaen.

Agreed. I just used R24 for my booking in Mukdahan and they were very good. What I like about them as well is that you dont have to provide credit card details when you check for availability like some of the other sites mentioned. Some of them want credit card details up-front and IF the room is available then you have to book.

Fair enough if you are booking way in advance, However, I got into a really annoying situation just before Xmas, when I had provided my credit card details and could not get any feedback about availability of a hotel room later that week. I had to wait 3+ days for the online agency to tell me they had no availability in that hotel. Their terms and conditions said I HAD to take the room if it was available and as they had my credit card details I just had to wait for them to respond or I would have been stuck with the room.

So I then had to find a room in a hurry ! Hardly the end of the World I admit, but who needs the hassle if it can be avoided.

If R24 were to take this long I could at least have started looking elsewhere immediately I thought there was a problem.

Edited by dsfbrit

I have only used agoda once and it wasnt until too late that I noticed that tax is added on AFTER their quoted price - sneaky trick

Now I am back using sawasdee.com - always cheaper, up front with prices and always very efficient

I just booked a couple hotels. I found the same hotels at all the major sites (Asiarooms, Agoda, Sawasdee, latestays) and compares total cost after taxes/fees/etc.

For one of the hotels Agoda (first time using it) was several hundred baht a night cheaper. For the other Sawasdee was cheaper by just a few baht/night. Sawasdee was much faster at confirming the reservation, but I don't know if the delay is due to the booking site or the hotel choice.

So if you don't mind spending a few extra minutes, you might be able to save yourself some baht over a long holiday.