Great Or Good Thai Movies With English Subtitles

Chocolate was one I saw for sale on the streets of Bangkok while with friends and it didn't have English subtitles, probably because of the whole international distribution thing.

Often a lot of them will usually always have English subtitles in the cinema but it's hard to find DVDs with subtitles sometimes. As for going the other route and buying them from illegitimate providers, you usually won't find them. The pirates are afraid of the Thai film companies but not the international ones...

As for Syndromes and a Century, I am in the U.S. now so was able to rent it. Didn't watch it yet, but I'm looking forward to it because of the controversy. There were about 10 minutes worth of scenes the government censors decided were offensive to the kingdom of Thailand, even though this was made by a Thai filmmaker. I'm not even sure what was in the scenes but I'll certainly find out because I'm not in the land of censorship. I think it was merely a scene of some doctors drinking and another with a monk playing a guitar. When the maker of this film finally showed it in Thailand, he merely cut out the censored scenes with silent black for the duration of the scene in an artsy form of protest. So, if you saw the film in the cinema you would have sat for a few minutes of nothing on the screen for those scenes. Curious, considering the director and writer said he merely made the film as a tribute to his parents, but an honest look at life in Thailand. I suspect the honesty is what got him in trouble. Even if he saw doctors drinking in a hospital and a monk strumming a guitar as a kid, can't have any real-life scenes of Thailand if it disrupts everyone's rosy perceptions of Thai doctors and monks. That'd just be too honest, forthright and commendable in terms of free speech, reality and cultural awareness. Not everything fit in to the view of the protectors of Thai culture when his movie came up for review. As you can tell, I really hate censorship especially when it's this ridiculous.

I see Pen-Ek has a new film competing at Cannes this year. Any idea when it'll be released over here?

Pen-Ek's new film "Nymph" (นางไม้) hits theaters in Thailand on July 2, according to the teaser poster seen in Wise Kwai's recent post.

• 2 weeks later...

Sa-ra-nae Haow-Peng is in the cinema now.

It is like Jacka55 show and MTV show.... fun tho

th_Theme1-final.jpg

another one is ... YHam Ya-so-thorn 2007

funny issan-country movie

th_poster2.jpg

Edited by thithi

• 2 months later...
My favorites in the last couple of years have been Muan Rare, (the Tin Mine), Fan Chan, and Jot Mai Rak (The love letter)

All told a good story, had enough charisma to hold the attention and certainly tugged at the heart strings a bit

Do you have english subtitles for Tin Mine?

or where can i download them?