Waiting For The Visa To Oz...

this is what a 100 visa allows

you are permitted to enter or remain permanently in Australia with your spouse

you are entitled to work and study in Australia

you may enrol in Australia's medical benefits expenses and hospital care scheme, Medicare.

See: Medicare

you may be eligible to receive certain social security payments (as you are exempt from the two year Newly Arrived Residents Waiting Period)

See: Centrelink

you may be eligible to apply for Australian citizenship (subject to the residency eligibility criteria)

you are permitted to enter or remain in Australia with your spouse.

It is the permanant visa.....next step....citizenship

• 2 weeks later...

Just wondering about giving the embassy in Bangkok a ring to check on the status of the spouse visa application, it has been three weeks since the interview and we are both a little anxious.

I guess it is a pretty common feeling to be experiencing, and no doubt the embassy gets heaps of calls about what is happening with applications.

I'm sure it is better to wait and not bother them... but I want to call them anyway :o

Does anybody have any advice or feedback?

Cheers.

Normally okay to call, particularly if the Case Officer has provided you with their direct office number.

I was a tad anxious as well and waiting to book the air tickets, so I called and Wanida was fine and said we should have an answer in a few days, which we did!

can someone confirm this..

thai national enters australia on a prospective marriage visa, a year later gets aproved a temp spouse visa, two years after gets approved a permanent spouse visa.

after one year they can apply for Australian citizenship? (total of 4 years in australia, 3 on temp visa, 1 on perm spouse).

Waiting no more! :o

Got the call today, and can you believe at the exact time I was calling the embassy in BKK to check on the progress, the case worker was calling my wife to say she has the visa!

Thanks to all the old timers, newcomers and Thaivisa, couldn't have done it without your support.

Marvelous.

Hahahahaha.

The Australian government has recently upped it's quota for the issue of Visa in Thailand.

The wait for a prospective marriage visa was 3 - 4 months but I have heard of one getting it in just over a month.

To the chap who is getting married in Thailand in September you will need to notify the Australian embassy beforehand and fill in the necessary paperwork ,It will need to be an official marriage and not just a religious ceremony.

Interesting once in Australia and married ( married within 9 months of arrival ) you then need to apply for permanent residency, costs much the same as the first application, so it's quite an expensive excercise. Once this permanent residency has been submitted they will give you a card which you can take to Medicare and they will issue you with a Medicare card. Permanent residency and citizenship are 2 seperate issues, you do not become an Australian citizen just because you have permanent residency.

It seems to be that if all your paperwork is in order the application progresses quite quickly. If you need to know what is required to lodge with the application all the information is on the Australian government website, it is quite extensive so it is as well to have it all in order before you go in.

Waiting no more! :o

Got the call today, and can you believe at the exact time I was calling the embassy in BKK to check on the progress, the case worker was calling my wife to say she has the visa!

Thanks to all the old timers, newcomers and Thaivisa, couldn't have done it without your support.

Marvelous.

Hahahahaha.

Congrats and well done