Teaching English!

stephania

Hello all readers. I have a friend of mine who is an English student in Spain but her considering spending her summer teaching English in the Peru. It would only be a 6 week placement (She have to return to university and furthermore would miss her cats too much; She have to take her foto de gatitos with her for sure!). Her only worry is that her English may not be good enough to explain complex grammatical issues. She did do a curso de ingles extranjero in the States and have done some turismo social in South America before, mixing with a lot of visitors from the US and Canada so feel like she can communicate well – but perhaps a certificate in teaching would help her to be able to break down the more complex aspects to language learning. Also – what age/level would she be best to teach – beginners who only want to know the basics or those who are already very good and will just want conversational class? All advice welcome!

Hello all readers. I have a friend of mine who is an English student in Spain but her considering spending her summer teaching English in the Peru. It would only be a 6 week placement (She have to return to university and furthermore would miss her cats too much; She have to take her foto de gatitos with her for sure!). Her only worry is that her English may not be good enough to explain complex grammatical issues. She did do a curso de ingles extranjero in the States and have done some turismo social in South America before, mixing with a lot of visitors from the US and Canada so feel like she can communicate well – but perhaps a certificate in teaching would help her to be able to break down the more complex aspects to language learning. Also – what age/level would she be best to teach – beginners who only want to know the basics or those who are already very good and will just want conversational class? All advice welcome!

Is her English as good as yours?

I teach interpreting and translation to advanced students in Germany.

IMO, your qualification is not so important as your ability to impart the necessary learning skills to your target group - because many

could learn if they only knew how.

So I don't teach per se, I look on my job as making it easier for them to learn.

It works for me and I have seen many so called unqualified teachers get results - better than a qualified teacher who is just not

succeeding in reaching his group at any level.