For Non-immigrant 'o' Visa (marriage) - Re: Translations

Wondering if anybody has tried something which could save me a lot of time in Bangkok.

I will be marrying a Thai lady in a few months. I have been told as part of the process of getting my "permit to marry" from the U.S. Embassy my divorce papers from previous marriages (in the U.S.) will need to be translated into Thai. My friend several years ago went through the same process, but he had to wait overnight for the translation service (near the embassy) to complete the translation. To save time and hotel costs, I thought I would try to mail my papers by EMS (from within Thailand) to a translation service who would then mail them and the translations back to me. Then I could just bring them with me when I went to BKK and avoid all the translation hassle. Has anybody done this, and if so, which translation service?

Haven't don it myself this way but all agencies provide this service. THe US embassy website provides a list of transaltion agencies. Just use one of them. (The price will ofcourse be more as they also need to translated the divorce papers).

http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/root/pdfs/tra...otographers.pdf

Good luck with you wedding.

Wondering if anybody has tried something which could save me a lot of time in Bangkok.

I will be marrying a Thai lady in a few months. I have been told as part of the process of getting my "permit to marry" from the U.S. Embassy my divorce papers from previous marriages (in the U.S.) will need to be translated into Thai. My friend several years ago went through the same process, but he had to wait overnight for the translation service (near the embassy) to complete the translation. To save time and hotel costs, I thought I would try to mail my papers by EMS (from within Thailand) to a translation service who would then mail them and the translations back to me. Then I could just bring them with me when I went to BKK and avoid all the translation hassle. Has anybody done this, and if so, which translation service?

It is INCORRECT that you need a translation of your divorce decree. You will need to take your decree to the US embassy and get a "Freedom to Marry" document from them (in fact, if they are like the British Embassy you'll need to prepare the document for them to certify. It's a simple single page and there are examples abounding on the internet). THIS you will need to get translated then certified at the Thai Consular Services office in Chaeng Wattana (the translation service will do it for you for about 800 baht. Add to that the fee and it will come to about 2300 baht). So, the Embassy will take your money, then the translation service will take your money, followed by the consular office in Chaeng Wattana, followed by the Amphur where you actually marry. Finally, your wife will take whatever you have left! Welcome to Thailand!!

It is INCORRECT that you need a translation of your divorce decree. You will need to take your decree to the US embassy and get a "Freedom to Marry" document from them (in fact, if they are like the British Embassy you'll need to prepare the document for them to certify. It's a simple single page and there are examples abounding on the internet). THIS you will need to get translated then certified at the Thai Consular Services office in Chaeng Wattana (the translation service will do it for you for about 800 baht. Add to that the fee and it will come to about 2300 baht). So, the Embassy will take your money, then the translation service will take your money, followed by the consular office in Chaeng Wattana, followed by the Amphur where you actually marry. Finally, your wife will take whatever you have left! Welcome to Thailand!!

Newbie, hey your next to last sentence is a great opening for your first posting to the forum.  Keep 'em coming!!

Mac, married out at Thanyaburi, but did it some years ago in Oregon so less paperwork