Critter Of The Day

bunta71

Woke up last night with one of the large (about 11" long) lizards on the ceiling directly above me. I know what a lounge lizard is and have raised a couple of linoleum lizards along the way. Anyone know much about these? Are they poisonous? This one was almost aggresive when I started messing with it. Had a couple in my other house but were always in the bathroom and not poised directly above my open snoring mouth. Note: spent the last hour trying to attach a photo of it but by following the insane attachment possibilities, and being less than a genius can't seem to figure out how. I click on the upload deal, find the picture, says it is uploading and then nothing. I hate the way computers are set up only for the geeks and the way they assume most are geekier han they are

Edited by bunta71

It sounds like one of my favorite geckos, Tokay. Beautiful to look at and feisty if you try and catch them. They’re not poisonous but can be a nuisance when they call out at night.

Search the forum for Tokay and you’ll find plenty of info on them.

Once in awhile we see one of these around our house, about 7 inches long not including his tail. Not sure about his specifics but he's pretty quick and I wouldn't want to wake up with him above me.

Here's a pic. FYI, I am not a geek. :o

post-30832-1213857839_thumb.png

Once in awhile we see one of these around our house, about 7 inches long not including his tail. Not sure about his specifics but he's pretty quick and I wouldn't want to wake up with him above me.

Here's a pic. FYI, I am not a geek. :o

Thats not a tokay thats a Chameleon and cannot walk on celings has 2 toes instead that cling onto branches it sounds like the OP has a Tokay in his home and if so I am suprised you can sleep unless its a female who do not cry out unlike the male who crys out TUUUUK KAAYYYY time and time again to attract a mate.

Found on run over but still alive once tried to pick it up and it was very feisty even though obviously in bad shape I put him out of harms way to rest in peace.

I had a tokay on the wall near the back door once. thought I'd poke it with a stick and it would run outside. Did it hel_l, turned around and bit the stick. I could really feel the power it exerted and it was hanging on the wall at the time.

Fiesty they are for sure.

Yes the upload picture function aint very user friendly for anyone less than PhD level in computers. After you upload the file you then click on manage my attachments (or similar) and click on something else but I can't remember what it says (being a dumb ole hairy ar5ed mekkie engineer).

...feisty if you try and catch them. They’re not poisonous...

All true, plus be advised they DO BITE if provoked, any animal bite is prone to infection, and they're like a pit-bull dog-- won't let go. Handle with care.

Edited by toptuan

There is a lot of good Tokay info on the other thread at

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/lofiversion/...php/t94177.html

Tokay's are good for your property as they eat scorpians, cockroaches, other lizards, and even mice and rats. The will call out "tokay" and you should count how many times they crow. A lazy one does only 4 or 5, wheras a hard-working one will crow 6-10 times or even more. At least that is what the neighbors tell me! Ours seem to stay up in the attic and not inside. Don't know how I would feel about one above my head on the ceiling while I sleep.