Wp Application Time, 90 Day Reporting? Many Questions

Hi everybody,

I have been doing some looking around here to find answers, but cannot seem to find any matching my situation.

This is the situation:

My dutch employer is sending me to Thailand for a minimum of 6 months, and possibly one year with a possiblity for longer, in order to monitor and expedite a couple of large orders we got running at a Thai workshop in Sri Racha. I will be placed there in-plant, but will remain an employee of the Dutch company. I will receive my Dutch salary on my Dutch bank account, as usual. I will get some allowances for housing and such too. This will be taxed in Thailand apparently.

Our group has a Thai branch and they told our HR people that the Thai company (Italian owned) will need to apply for the WP.

-Is this right?

Also;

-What documents do I need to provide our HR dept / Thai Embassy for this WP?

-What is the average processing time for this WP?

-What type of visa will this be? (ie. Non-immi B?)

-Do I have to do 90day reporting?

Furthermore, my company is also paying for moving some of my stuff with me. I will bring limited furnture and such and it will be done by a reputable relocation company. I have a couple of OPENED single malt whiskeys that I want to bring. I know that the limit is 1 litre for tax-free stuff, but do these opened bottles count?

-What is the chance that Thai Customs will go through all my personal effects? Not planning bring contraband, of course :o

The plan my company has now is for me to start there mid-July. Is this feasible?

I am very excited about this, of course, because I have been working on joining my Jaoying Suay for some time. :D

Khap khun khap :D

I answer as a third party as have never done the work permit routine but below is my understanding:

Suspect you need to find out more about customs duty as it does not appear you will qualify for duty free import of anything. To qualify requires a one year extension of stay and that requires a salary according to your nationality (and you have said you will not receive a salary). In any case would not advise trying to bring in open bottles as there is a strict crackdown on spirits at this time.

You need to arrive with a non immigrant B visa and as I do not believe you can qualify for extension of stay with the system you plan to use it should be a one year multi entry type so that you can make board runs every 90 days and return. There would not be any address reporting using this type of system. You obtain work permit but am sure the company will do most of the leg work. Extensive company paperwork is required as well as your passport. Time varies from a couple of days to weeks.

Does anybody now about this matter?:

Our group has a Thai branch office and they told my HR people that the Thai company (Italian owned) will need to apply for the WP and visa.

-Is this correct?

I will not be working for the Thai company, but it will be my place of daily activities. The dutch company I work for will pay my salary and allowances. I would really appreciate some clarification on this.

Does anybody now about this matter?:

Our group has a Thai branch office and they told my HR people that the Thai company (Italian owned) will need to apply for the WP and visa.

-Is this correct?

I will not be working for the Thai company, but it will be my place of daily activities. The dutch company I work for will pay my salary and allowances. I would really appreciate some clarification on this.

The advice given is correct - only a Thai entity can apply for a work permit. When you say your group "has a Thai branch office", do you mean that your Dutch employer has a subsidiary company incorporated in Thailand or that they have registered as a foreign corporation conducting business through a branch office in Thailand?

Actually, the group is a French owned engineering multinational. It has several branch offices around the world. I work for the Dutch one. There is also one in BKK, but I will not be transferring to that office. I will still be formally employed by my company. Our branch office/company does not have a legal business entity in Thailand. That is the tricky part.

The Thai branch don't really want to have to apply for the visa and WP, even if my office will pay for everything. They do a whole batch for the year and have some sort of max quota.

-Do get a non-immi B or O before the WP?

My place of work will be one of our suppliers. I am an expediter so I will be monitoring work, check that schedules are met and report to the procurement dept. back in The Netherlands. If we are not there on the workshop floor kicking their asses, we will not get our stuff on time.

I am not taking a Thai's job. I will be a company rep.

Thing is, it seems as though the ball is up in the air right now. I just want to know how long this will take organize. MY manager wants me to go middle of next month.

-Can it be done that quick? Getting the papers for the visa is no problem, but the question is who needs to apply for this.

And I want to tell my Jaoying when I am coming :o