Maps

sparrow

Are there Ordannance survey style detailed maps of chiang mai (and other provinces)? Looking for something that would show off road trails for walking and motorbiking in the hills and mountains, tracks up to hilltribe villages and across country with points of interest such as waterfalls etc. where to buy?

Also wondering where i could get an old ornate map of the city or province as a gift for my father as he likes that sort of thing.

Cheers :o

Sure, the Royal Thai Survey Department maps are what you are looking for.

I bought many (dozens, I like detailed topographical maps) at Suriwong Books on Sri Donchai Rd.- they have a huge selection.

You'll probably want the 1:50,000 scale- shows trails, small structures, etc. Much more detail than the 1:250,000 series.

As for the old map...don't know about that.

I bought many (dozens, I like detailed topographical maps) at Suriwong Books on Sri Donchai Rd.- they have a huge selection.

You'll probably want the 1:50,000 scale- shows trails, small structures, etc. Much more detail than the 1:250,000 series.

And you thought I'd let this one pass! I agree.

Also, you might ask for this volume at the book store: Thongchai Winichakul, Siam Mapped, A History of the Geo-Body of a Nation, Chiang Mai: Silkworm, 2004. Intelligent book. Wonderful historical maps!

There are also complete sets of detailed digitalized 1-50,000 maps of Thailand available. a total of 1,250 maps totaling 3.76 GB. They date from 2539. A contact sheet of the maps is provided. They were invaluable in developing GPS maps (rotweilermaps.com).

RT

post-32371-1213930105_thumb.jpg

130 Baht/sheet - there is a big selection of the 1:50,000 Thai OS at the big bookshop on Chaiyaphum Road near the Amora Hotel (sorry forget the name but its huge and has a car park in front).

Wonder if anyone has come accross a good atlas (book) style detailed street map of CM - trying to drive holding huge sheet maps is not easy!

130 Baht/sheet - there is a big selection of the 1:50,000 Thai OS at the big bookshop on Chaiyaphum Road near the Amora Hotel (sorry forget the name but its huge and has a car park in front).

Wonder if anyone has come accross a good atlas (book) style detailed street map of CM - trying to drive holding huge sheet maps is not easy!

You certainly do need a detailed street map of Chiang Mai :o DK Books, the big bookshop that you mention, is not in Chaiyaphum Rd but in Kotchasarn Rd, a ways on the other side of Thapae Gate from Amora Hotel.

/ Priceless

[

Sounds like you are in dire need of a local map yourself :o One presumes that you are refering to the "DK Book store" which is only another kilometer further down the road.

[

Sounds like you are in dire need of a local map yourself :o One presumes that you are refering to the "DK Book store" which is only another kilometer further down the road.

Beat you to it, didn't I? :D

/ Priceless

Edited by Priceless

Are they only in Thai language?

[

Indeed I stand corrected - apologies.

I should have looked at the Bangkok Airlines City map which is about the most detailed I've got. Any better city street map/atlas recomendation (A-Z like) would be appreciated.

[

Indeed I stand corrected - apologies.

I should have looked at the Bangkok Airlines City map which is about the most detailed I've got. Any better city street map/atlas recomendation (A-Z like) would be appreciated.

No one map does the job fully, but I find the Chiang Mai Big Map - Finder Map the most useful. Otherwise, Nancy Chandler's Map of Chiang Mai 16th edition (with updates on the internet at www.nancychandler.net) can be useful since it has a booklet in which you'll find various useful categories (e.g., wat index with map locations). Both are available at lots of places. Both have commercial references. You will need other maps outside the the "metro area" for the province.

Otherwise, for amusement, ask a Chiang Mai native to give you directions to a place. The mayor is not certain which direction is north, and map reading is an arcane discipline here.

Are they only in Thai language?

They are in both English and Thai, scea. :o

PM me and I will be able to assist you there. I will be back in CM by August and will have a copy with me.

If it is GPS maps you are interested in, you may wish to try rotweilermaps.com

(aka a certain bookshop, a shameless plug...)

There are also complete sets of detailed digitalized 1-50,000 maps of Thailand available. a total of 1,250 maps totaling 3.76 GB.

Where can we get this 3.76gb worth of maps from?

No one map does the job fully, but I find the Chiang Mai Big Map - Finder Map the most useful. Otherwise, Nancy Chandler's Map of Chiang Mai 16th edition (with updates on the internet at www.nancychandler.net) can be useful since it has a booklet in which you'll find various useful categories (e.g., wat index with map locations). Both are available at lots of places. Both have commercial references. You will need other maps outside the the "metro area" for the province.

Otherwise, for amusement, ask a Chiang Mai native to give you directions to a place. The mayor is not certain which direction is north, and map reading is an arcane discipline here.

Thanks Mapguy - will look out for them.

My brother is a map fanatic - he's got all the UK OS maps - a whole room full - shame he never travels or perhaps you two would have a lot in common!