Pregnant, Homeless Woman

emh1969

Twice recently, including this morning, I've seen a homeless woman near Tha Pae gate. She's probably about 16-22 years old and unless my eyes are deceiving me, looks to be about 3-5 months pregnant. I was going to try and talk to her today and find out what her story is and what sort of help she might need but she was sleeping and I didn't want to disturb her. Plus, I have no idea if she speaks any English.

Anyway, I'm only in Chiang Mai for two more weeks but am willing to help however I can. If anyone else has any thoughts or ideas or wants to help, post away.

If you see her again, come over to Gecko Books main branch (you can see the yellow and black signs from Thapae Gate). I'm no Joe Cummings, but if she speaks Thai, I can probably communicate with her for you.

A warning, you may be taking on quite a project.

George

Her name is Daaw (ดาว), she is due on the 16th July. She is Thai and is not HIV positive. She is reluctant to have any help, as many people have tried. I think she is about 25years old.

There are many destitute young people hanging about every night in that area. Has been going on for years.

Most make a living by selling themselves for cheap sex or/and peddling drugs.

This is Thailand which does not provide any welfare assistance or local authority accommodation for these people.

Unless the OP is willing to provide shelter, food, medical and 100% support for this unfortunate girl, than sadly the only other alternative is to look the other way.

Edited by distortedlink

The OP's humanitarian intentions are admirable.

Happily, looking the other way is not the only other alternative. You can contact people who work with the homeless in Chiang Mai, tell them about your concerns, seek their advice, and look for a way to help.

This group does outreach work with street children in Chiang Mai and operates a drop-in center in the city. You may wish to talk to them. Even if they can't help, they can probably connect you to someone who can.

The Volunteer for Children Development Foundation

95/1 Moo 6 Tambon On-Tai Ampher Sankampang

Chiang Mai Thailand. 50130

[email protected] Tel.66-53-874065, 66-9-8506683

http://www.vgcd.org/

Thanks for all the replies. Some thoughts and comments:

Ulysses/George: I appreciate the offer to help translate.

Wadey: I'd also be interested in hearing why she doesn't want help. Would she turn down food or water if someone wanted to buy her some?

Distorted Link: Yes, helping out a homeless pregnant woman would require a lot of work and not something that I was looking to take on by myself, particularly since I'm leaving in two weeks. That's why I posted a message here, to see if others were interested in helping. Of course, if she doesn't want help, then I'm not sure what can be done.

Puwa: Yep, I'm a bleeding heart liberal! I appreciate the contact information.

There are many destitute young people hanging about every night in that area. Has been going on for years.

This is Thailand which does not provide any welfare assistance or local authority accommodation for these people.

Unless the OP is willing to provide shelter, food, medical and 100% support for this unfortunate girl, than sadly the only other alternative is to look the other way.

Thailand provides non government assistance in many ways.

BTW, I should mention that I also reject the idea that unless someone is willing to provide ALL the help someone needs, then the alternative is to do nothing. There are lots of options between all and nothing.

Sorry, need to make a correction on my last post. Her name is Jen เจ็น and she is due on the 16th August.

She will take food and water, not sure from strangers though. She has been offered accommodation, but to date has turned it down and she doesn't say why.

She has told my friend she wants to go somewhere in the last month of her pregnancy and something is being arranged. A few of her street friends have settled in at a halfway house at Mae Joe called ABBA House. She maybe going there.

Sorry, need to make a correction on my last post. Her name is Jen เจ็น and she is due on the 16th August.

She will take food and water, not sure from strangers though. She has been offered accommodation, but to date has turned it down and she doesn't say why.

She has told my friend she wants to go somewhere in the last month of her pregnancy and something is being arranged. A few of her street friends have settled in at a halfway house at Mae Joe called ABBA House. She maybe going there.

Thanks for the additional information. I did receive a PM from someone who indicated that their former maid works for Abba House and that they definitely go down to Tha Pae gate and talk to people there. That being said, a quick google search took me to the web page for Abba House and they are VERY fundamentalist Christian which isn't everyone's cup of tea. Still, in my opinion, if you're homeless and pregnant, you shouldn't be too picky about who you accept help from.

Twice recently, including this morning, I've seen a homeless woman near Tha Pae gate. She's probably about 16-22 years old and unless my eyes are deceiving me, looks to be about 3-5 months pregnant. I was going to try and talk to her today and find out what her story is and what sort of help she might need but she was sleeping and I didn't want to disturb her. Plus, I have no idea if she speaks any English.

Anyway, I'm only in Chiang Mai for two more weeks but am willing to help however I can. If anyone else has any thoughts or ideas or wants to help, post away.

Why don't you marry her and raise her child as your own.

If you can't contribute with something worth reading - then don't

well Bergen, beauty is in the eye of the beholder; I thought it was quite funny, therefore worthwhile

well Bergen, beauty is in the eye of the beholder; I thought it was quite funny, therefore worthwhile

Some folks have absolutely no concept of reality. Sidris has a friend.

Two minds like `that` alike, wooow, must have known each other from some kind of hospital.

One thing they didnot get a hold of is compassion...

You've got the right idea there Carib......

ʎ11ɐuoısɐɔɔo.......ɥʇbuǝ1ǝʌɐʍ ǝɯɐs ǝɥʇ uo ǝɹɐ ǝʍ ʞuıɥʇ ı

Two minds like `that` alike, wooow, must have known each other from some kind of hospital.

One thing they didnot get a hold of is compassion...

You've got the right idea there Carib......

ʎ11ɐuoısɐɔɔo.......ɥʇbuǝ1ǝʌɐʍ ǝɯɐs ǝɥʇ uo ǝɹɐ ǝʍ ʞuıɥʇ ı

.sey yllanoisaccO

The number of "destitute young people" hanging around Thapae Gate is very small compared with 8 -10 years back. The 'nations finest' had a big clean up, some years back.

That said there are always varying numbers hanging around the Petronas gas station, DK Books, and the klong end of Loi Kroh every morning. Not destitute from their garb, some difficult to determine their gender (without a full physical) and always available for hire.