Recent Visa Run To Laos.

Hello,recently got back from vientiane,Laos after a visa run.They've recently set up a currency exchange place at the laos border (in laos),with not a bad rate at 33.50baht to the dollar,& can be handy as you get the laos visa quite abit cheaper if you pay in dollars.

Fully loaded up Tuktuks to the bus station near the mekong river cost 5000 kip per person,or theres a bus stop there where to the same place on the bus costs 4000 kip.As far as getting kip in town i find that its probably better to change your baht (sometimes the minimarts give as good a rate as the banks),than withdraw on an atm,as the atm fees seem high.On the train back to Bangkok we were surprised to have police come on the car & check through everybodies luggage through the train,including ours.

At the thai consulate i was told that they can issue x2 tourist visas,but i would have to use them in 3 months,which i'm presuming gives you 5 months with one extension?

I'm thinking that they do this to try & deter peolpe from border hopping,so they get a proper visa.Any others experienced this?

Visa validity has always been three months for the two entry - which means you can stay almost six months using both extensions. You have to enter for second tourist visa within that 3 months so you might lose a day or two from your first 30 day extension.

No, the double tourist visa will give you 180 days, not 5 months. The three month validity means you have to activate the visa's within a time period of 3 months. The first day you activate the first visa and get 60 days. This you can extend with 30 days at an immigration office. After that you have to leave the country and can come right back in to activate the second visa. This is another 60 days, which you can extend again with 30 days. Extension cost 1,900 baht.

No, the double tourist visa will give you 180 days, not 5 months. The three month validity means you have to activate the visa's within a time period of 3 months. The first day you activate the first visa and get 60 days. This you can extend with 30 days at an immigration office. After that you have to leave the country and can come right back in to activate the second visa. This is another 60 days, which you can extend again with 30 days. Extension cost 1,900 baht.

do they issue multi entry marriage visa in vientiane,Laos ?

At the thai consulate i was told that they can issue x2 tourist visas,but i would have to use them in 3 months,which i'm presuming gives you 5 months with one extension?

I'm thinking that they do this to try & deter peolpe from border hopping,so they get a proper visa.Any others experienced this?

Here's a real life example of my double entry TV from Vientiane.

Issued January 24, 08. Pick it up the next day so lose a day. Visa validity - enter before April 23. First visa run after 1st extension must be on April 22 (lose another day). Second extension until July 20.

Total period in Thailand possible on this visa: January 25 until July 20. Exactly 177 days. Not too bad really.

do they issue multi entry marriage visa in vientiane,Laos ?

The last two years I have not encountered nor heard of anybody (single or married to a Thai) who got a Multiple Non-O-Visa from Vientiane or Savannakhet. Single entry has been the best one could get.

Please prove me wrong, I would be the first to jump on such an opportunity.

Hello,recently got back from vientiane,Laos after a visa run.They've recently set up a currency exchange place at the laos border (in laos),with not a bad rate at 33.50baht to the dollar,& can be handy as you get the laos visa quite abit cheaper if you pay in dollars.

Fully loaded up Tuktuks to the bus station near the mekong river cost 5000 kip per person,or theres a bus stop there where to the same place on the bus costs 4000 kip.As far as getting kip in town i find that its probably better to change your baht (sometimes the minimarts give as good a rate as the banks),than withdraw on an atm,as the atm fees seem high.On the train back to Bangkok we were surprised to have police come on the car & check through everybodies luggage through the train,including ours.

"I'm thinking that they do this to try & deter peolpe from border hopping,so they get a proper visa."

a border hoper, woulnt have gone to the consulte, it maybe that they are "user friendly at the mo whislst others are not, so there workload has increased excessivly so it makes sense to spread it out ie give you longer before your return, cant remember if you pay more for x2 but maybe that as well!

" i'm presuming gives you 5 months with one extension?"

as others have said on here you should get more if you pay attention to dates etc, roughly your 60 days plus 30 ext, then "hop" trigger 60 entry, then 30 exten, thats roughly 6 months then you could do 3 x 30 days, (visa exemt ) hops, so that would be 9 months before going back to laos!

chris