Something Weird Just Happened

sweetchariot

Hi folks.

I was merrily browsing ThaiVisa a few minutes ago, when I lost control of my mouse, and for about 20 seconds files started opening at lightening speed. It was so fast, all I saw was my documents, and my pictures being opened.

Is this just my computer having a funny turn, or something more sinister? I have all the regular anti-virus/spy etc, is there something else I need?

This is my personal PC, and there is nothing of any value for anyone to steal from it, but it was a bit unnerving.

Hmmm... drivers? Maybe there's a ghost in the machine. Run it through some scans - make sure your drivers are updated?

Hi folks.

I was merrily browsing ThaiVisa a few minutes ago, when I lost control of my mouse, and for about 20 seconds files started opening at lightening speed. It was so fast, all I saw was my documents, and my pictures being opened.

Is this just my computer having a funny turn, or something more sinister? I have all the regular anti-virus/spy etc, is there something else I need?

This is my personal PC, and there is nothing of any value for anyone to steal from it, but it was a bit unnerving.

Can anyone give me some links/ programmes that would be good to try?

Thanks.

Edit/ just tried that windows defender, and it wants to install windows genuine advantage. This has been popping up for months, and I am reluctant to install it as I bought this PC in Thailand, and know there is a strong likelihood that the XP is a copy. I have heard this can cause all sorts of problems if you do install it on a copy.

Edited by sweetchariot

No problem installing Validation Tool on XP copy.

Windows Automatic Update can also be turned on without problem.

Seems MS decided that it was better that all machines running Windows are better off with all security and software updates installed. They are in it for the long haul and even if many are running bootleg copies, they are still using Windows. Sooner or later they will be buying a MS operating system.

Are you running it on a copy? I am not doubting you but would feel more comfortable if someone else could validate this.

Cheers.

I am currently runnning on XP Pro - copy. Not that i wanted to or aware that the shop that customiised my computer had installed a copy. Eversince i am unable to do windows update because of the validation tools that detected my Windows to be a copy. Haven't done an update for slightly over a year.

Are you running it on a copy? I am not doubting you but would feel more comfortable if someone else could validate this.

Cheers.

I am currently runnning on XP Pro - copy. Not that i wanted to or aware that the shop that customiised my computer had installed a copy. Eversince i am unable to do windows update because of the validation tools that detected my Windows to be a copy. Haven't done an update for slightly over a year.

Myself and one friend no problem on Xp Pro. Validation Tool and Automatic Update. Copies.

Another friend. Vista Ultimate. Same. Copy.

Hey bobbin, you're right. I just this morning decided to turn on the automatic updates ( previously on manual updates), and "whallah!" all updates downloaded and installed. Thanks for the idea.

Most probably the mouse button or a key got stuck.

You could always run a scan with your antivirus of course.

Sounds like when the laser on my mouse started to go. Try replacing your mouse and see if you still have a problem.