Is It Worth Buying A Car In Bkk

ozsamurai

I'm sure they're vastly more intelligent than me. Good luck to them. I wish them luck as they queue for the money-saving BTS cards or whatever it is people use. And, of course, I'm FULL of admiration for the farang who lives like the locals and travel to work on the blue buses. Hurrah for them, I say.

I, of course, am a firm supporter for the public transport system . . . .for other people.

The public transport system is for the public. And long may they use it. Me? I'm not the public. I'm me.

:o

Edited by bendix

I'm sure they're vastly more intelligent than me. Good luck to them. I wish them luck as they queue for the money-saving BTS cards or whatever it is people use. And, of course, I'm FULL of admiration for the farang who lives like the locals and travel to work on the blue buses. Hurrah for them, I say.

I, of course, am a firm supporter for the public transport system . . . .for other people.

The public transport system is for the public. And long may they use it. Me? I'm not the public. I'm me.

:D

As selfish as it sounds, I am quite proud of the fact I have never ridden a public bus in Thailand. :o

I do rarely ride the BTS, but since it goes to such a small part of Bangkok, it is not real handy.

Company car and driver to and from work and out to golf course on weekends. Taxis on weekends around Bangkok. Works well for me.

TH

Car in BKK? Of course.

SkyTrain goes to the places I don't need to go to, except, 1 stop for very light shopping (i.e. postcards) at On Nut.

Regardless of how close or convenient public transport is, it does not help you with half (or more) full trolley from Lotus or Carefour.

Then you have to face taxis and rude drivers.

Once I wanted to be smart ass and not rent a car. Over 2 weeks, going daily to Siam Water Park, to every driver I had to tell to drive slower and turn off blasting radio. One said in Thai to my wife "Your farang stupid, it's only 130km an hour".

I would pay 1000-1200B a day to have my own mobility and peace. Until I am there permanently to buy a car that would be driven more often than 1 out of 8 weeks.

Can't imagine myself stepping in those red or God forbid little green battered buses. Or what they call those baht-buses in Pattaya. What a humiliation to ride in them, starting from the way you have to bend to enter.

It's not like you can't use public transport when you own a car, not sure why folks have to make it into some kind of contest.

Probably the best summary so far is post #8 above, although I'd add that taxi's do vary greatly in terms of how well maintained the vehicles are and of course how mentally stable the drivers are. You don't pick up hitchhikers do you? Using taxis is kind of the same thing with the roles reversed. You'll usually be fine, but most are well aware that there are plenty of guys out there with gambling, drinking, drug, etc. problems operating taxis.

:o

Exactly Bendix, but now that you have revealed your preference for a car, we can all see your "inferior intelligence levels" compared to the intelliegent people who use the public transport system. :o

Actually no, I was referring only to you. But I guess you can't figure that out on your own, so I am glad to help.

I bought my car when I was living in Pattaya, and even after moving to Bangkok I couldn't be without it, especially for taking my daughter to school.

Going to work and back I tend to leave the car at home and use the BTS/Motorbikes to cut through the traffic though.

And RE: Bribes to the BIB. In my 5 years of driving here the only times that I have paid a "Fine" is when I have done something wrong. "Touches wood"

ํYou will fit right in here on TV bkkjames. As Heng quite rightly pointed out, people can use both methods of transport for whatever suits the occasion. Just because you live near and use the skytrain you are NOT better than everyone else.

Car in BKK? Of course.

SkyTrain goes to the places I don't need to go to, except, 1 stop for very light shopping (i.e. postcards) at On Nut.

Regardless of how close or convenient public transport is, it does not help you with half (or more) full trolley from Lotus or Carefour.

Then you have to face taxis and rude drivers.

Once I wanted to be smart ass and not rent a car. Over 2 weeks, going daily to Siam Water Park, to every driver I had to tell to drive slower and turn off blasting radio. One said in Thai to my wife "Your farang stupid, it's only 130km an hour".

I would pay 1000-1200B a day to have my own mobility and peace. Until I am there permanently to buy a car that would be driven more often than 1 out of 8 weeks.

Can't imagine myself stepping in those red or God forbid little green battered buses. Or what they call those baht-buses in Pattaya. What a humiliation to ride in them, starting from the way you have to bend to enter.

The baht buses are the best thing about Pattaya, although that's not saying much...what's not to like about getting a ride home at 2 in the morning for 10 baht? I get the bus to Pattaya as well for that matter - 117 baht from Bangkok or 150 from the airport, another bargain.

Saw a baht bus in Bangkok today actually, on Silom.

What is the distance between your place of residence to your place of work? If it is less than 10 k, and you have a place where you can take a shower at the office, then I suggest you bicycle to work. I owned a car in Bangkok, drove it for 3 years, drove me mad, got rid of the car and rode a bicycle to work. Then the best thing happened to me. I moved out of Bangkok.

When I was drive my car, it took me 1.5 hours to get from my home to the office. On my bicycle, it took me 30 minutes. Best driving when there is a lot of traffic because the cars moooove much slower. Actually safer for you. Get a gas filter to protect your lungs.

Oh by the way, I am not kidding. :o PEACE!

After close to twenty-five years of driving around this maddening metropolis I am now car-less and couldn't be happier.

No more waiting in unending lines of traffic.

No more ptrol/gasolinen bills.

No more probs with the BIB.

No more probs finding a non-existent car-parking spot.

No more worries about having another tipple before I drive (wobbling) home.

No more arguments with my insurance company.

No more arguments with the mechanic at the dealer's garage.

No more trying to see the GD thing when I'm fed-up with it.

Even my cardiologist is happier!!!

Don't, unless you are living in the depths of "Nakorn Nowhere" even thnk about buying a car.

Yours , a happy BTS traveller,

AjarnP

So . what has this thread taught us, then? Let's summarise.

Those who have cars .. . ummmmm . .love having cars and wouldnt change it for the world.

Those who don't have cars don't want to have cars.

Brilliant. Thaivisa at its very best.

When are rates going up and to how much?

How regular will you have to deal with police bribes? And how do they work - do the police make up spurious reasons, or do they just hold their hand out and go "500 baht, chief".

If the windows aren't blacked out than fairly often, otherwise provided you don't pull off too many dodgy manouvers around police boxes there isn't to much to worry about. Pattaya is a different matter alltogether tho. :o

funny, I've been driving here since 1997, and have been pulled over twice. Both times, my fault. Got a ticket and was on my way.

The trick is to obey the law. Simple stuff, don't run an orange light, indicate, turn at intersectoins from designated lanes. Wear a seatbelt.

If a copper does try it on, and you have clearly done nothing wrong, then they are out for a day-long take and aren't specifcally targeting you. Play dumb, waste their time and they'll soon wave you on as you are preventing them from catching more gullable drivers.

In five years, I have been pulled over 7 times, Twice were my fault, and I paid the fine once at the station, and once my passenger gave the officer 100 baht.

Once, I was able to find fault in his arguement (this officer spoke English) When I pointed out that what he said was impossible and that he was targeting farangs, he let me go. Twice I had cops demand 2000 baht for imagined infractions, so I called a friend very high in the government who spoke to the officers each time who quickly let me go.

THen twice were simple misunderstandings of road signs. Both times, the officers laughed once we fgured out what was the problem, and both times, they let me go without a ticket.

I live in Phasi Charoen and work in Omyai. After work, I go to Pin Klao to work out and eat before goign home. I have to have my car, and I am glad I have it.

Yes, I hate the traffic, especially within Bangkok proper. And I hate paying for the benzine. But I like having the abililty to get around to where and when I need.

I was hoping to buy a Prius this year, but their entry into Thailand got delayed. So now I am looking at other alternatives and a better way to get around. But no matter what, iw ill still ahve a car.

So . what has this thread taught us, then? Let's summarise.

Those who have cars .. . ummmmm . .love having cars and wouldnt change it for the world.

Those who don't have cars don't want to have cars.

Brilliant. Thaivisa at its very best.

Not everyone fits that description. I worked on the wrong side of the river and had very little choice but to have a car. Taxis were few and far between. I went into Bangkok once or twice a week and was VERY happy when I was able to find a secure parking place so I could take a taxi. No possible way would I have owned a car if I lived in the heart of Bangkok.

ํYou will fit right in here on TV bkkjames. As Heng quite rightly pointed out, people can use both methods of transport for whatever suits the occasion. Just because you live near and use the skytrain you are NOT better than everyone else.

Never thought I was better, just smarter :o

At least all the pro car people admit that there really isn’t a financial reason to own a car in Bangkok. Personally I’m in the middle. I have a car, but I still take taxi’s/BTS/MRT quite often, depending on what ever is more convenient. I’ll drive to the top of the soi, and then grab a taxi. What drives me crazy is when one of the locals tries to convince me that they need to own their own car because it’s cheaper. More convenient maybe, but it’s rarely cheaper to have your own car if you live in Bangkok.

If you have the money, it’s nice to have a car in the garage, but that doesn’t mean you need to drive it in every situation, (I’m thinking of the BiLs).

.... A car gives you the freedom to go and do whatever you like, when you like. You can easily travel to places most people don't bother taking a taxi to (don't know the area and whats there etc..) People that think otherwise either simply can't afford a car or never visit any of Bangkok outside ....

Lucky that the Lord Almighty gave me 2 legs to walk, to ride a bike and brains to think!

Car, Freedom and if you can't "afford" a car - you can't be free - and can't do whatever you like, right?

What a clever revelation, I never ever dared to even get close to this fantastic combination!

Are you a sales representative of a large Oil company or only a car dealer? :o

Edited by Samuian

Can't you fuc­kers accept the fact that some people prefer public transportation while others like having a car? There are plenty of people who use public transportation and a car and will use the more convenient option.

The buses have limitations, the BTS is useless if you don't live near a station or your destination isn't close to one, Taxis are the cancer of Bangkok. Cars cost money but can you go to a shopping mall and buy a household appliance like a TV and take it on the BTS, Bus, or easily get a taxi that will stop for you?

It really is cheaper to own a car versus take a taxi every day. Like the OP, 200 baht a day, 30 days a month. 6 thousand baht a month for fares and with the rising fares this six thousand will bloat considerably.

My mother, in a Honda Jazz, from Bangna to the city center and back every day plus trips everywhere in between spends around 4-5k on gas a month. I could reasonably expect that if she completely replaces car usage with taxis it would rise to somewhere closer to 10k.

Can't you fuc­kers accept the fact that some people prefer public transportation while others like having a car? There are plenty of people who use public transportation and a car and will use the more convenient option.

The buses have limitations, the BTS is useless if you don't live near a station or your destination isn't close to one, Taxis are the cancer of Bangkok. Cars cost money but can you go to a shopping mall and buy a household appliance like a TV and take it on the BTS, Bus, or easily get a taxi that will stop for you?

It really is cheaper to own a car versus take a taxi every day. Like the OP, 200 baht a day, 30 days a month. 6 thousand baht a month for fares and with the rising fares this six thousand will bloat considerably.

My mother, in a Honda Jazz, from Bangna to the city center and back every day plus trips everywhere in between spends around 4-5k on gas a month. I could reasonably expect that if she completely replaces car usage with taxis it would rise to somewhere closer to 10k.

The 2 pages of comments on the topic both for and against is a pretty clear indication of your first point. But regarding your point about shopping for TV's and appliances, you are telling me that you can fit your new flatscreen in the back ofyour mom's jazz but I can't fit mine in the back seat of a taxi? My 42 in plasma fit fine thanks.

The point about the taxi fare going up is correct, it did. What used to cost me 70baht now costs roughly 75 to 80 or 10% increase, but the price of gas has risen how much in the last year, so I assume the cost of filling your tank has gone up as well? By the way, the OP could choose to use a bus to go to work as well, not just a 200 baht taxi everyday. And I don't think he spends 200 baht everyday unless he works 30 days a month?

And according to your math, you leave out the capital cost of purchasing a car and / or financing it. Honda Jazz at 800k (guess on my part), after 4 years is worth how much half? So 400,000 divided by 48 month is roughly 8500 a month. Add that to your gas, parking, tolls, insurance and maintenence and the math arguement is less impressive.

So let's compare.

OP spends 200 baht x 300 days a year = 60,000 baht

Jazz spends 8500 x 12 payments - 102,000 baht year

Insurance = ?

Petrol = ?

Maintenence = ?

Traffic fines = ?

Anyways, have fun driving.

The 2 pages of comments on the topic both for and against is a pretty clear indication of your first point. But regarding your point about shopping for TV's and appliances, you are telling me that you can fit your new flatscreen in the back ofyour mom's jazz but I can't fit mine in the back seat of a taxi? My 42 in plasma fit fine thanks.

The point about the taxi fare going up is correct, it did. What used to cost me 70baht now costs roughly 75 to 80 or 10% increase, but the price of gas has risen how much in the last year, so I assume the cost of filling your tank has gone up as well? By the way, the OP could choose to use a bus to go to work as well, not just a 200 baht taxi everyday. And I don't think he spends 200 baht everyday unless he works 30 days a month?

And according to your math, you leave out the capital cost of purchasing a car and / or financing it. Honda Jazz at 800k (guess on my part), after 4 years is worth how much half? So 400,000 divided by 48 month is roughly 8500 a month. Add that to your gas, parking, tolls, insurance and maintenence and the math arguement is less impressive.

So let's compare.

OP spends 200 baht x 300 days a year = 60,000 baht

Jazz spends 8500 x 12 payments - 102,000 baht year

Insurance = ?

Petrol = ?

Maintenence = ?

Traffic fines = ?

Anyways, have fun driving.

I will, thank you.

Curiously, those who have cars don't seem too incensed in this debate. It's only the non car owners who feel the need to get irate and argumentative in this thread.

I wonder why the need to so passionately attack something one doesnt have?

Edited by bendix

Curiously, those who have cars don't seem too incensed in this debate. It's only the non car owners who feel the need to get irate and argumentative in this thread.

I wonder why the need to so passionately attack something one doesnt have?

Good point bendix, I guess as a smoker, I am just a bit pissed off at all the laws stopping me from doing what I like to do (in the name of public health) meanwhile I have to breath in the cancer causing fumes of all you car owners.

But Thank You For Driving :o