Call Costs

raybingham

At present I use an international dialling card to call Thailand from the UK. This is a very geed service in terms of cost (one charge to 0207 - London - number then less than 1p per minute).

However, the quality of calls is variable - ranging from crystal clear (rarely) to barely audible (often).

I am looking for a better quality means of making calls but retaining good value.

I am happy to consider the option of calls being made from Thailand TO the UK if that is a more viable alternative.

What do other members do ?

Skype is good if she has an internet connection but most Thai girls don't.

There are calling cards and there are calling cards. If one of them doesn't provide a clear line, then try another. We regularly use a calling card here in Australia and the line is perfectly clear.

There are companies, such as the AussieCall.com, who advertise at the bottom of Thai Visa pages. They advertise free calls to Thailand. I have never used them so can't advise you further. I'm sure if you Google around you'll find them.

Is Vonage or something equivalent available in the UK?

Here in the US, I can make unlimited calls to Thailand for a flat fee of $10/month. Of course, I have to have the premium service with Vonage, which runs $24.99/month; this service offers me unlimited calls here in the US, caller ID, call-forwarding, etc.

All said, not that bad... for $35 (plus a few extra dollars in taxes) I can call both regular and mobile phones, both here in the US and Thailand.

I use the various companies in Holland that offer cheap calls to Thailand and other countires, these are 0900 numbers where you call the access number of the country of choice, and then you enter the number you want to call, this can be programmed into your home or mobile phone by adding a pause (sometimes several). The quality is quite good, and they all use voip. When using a land line, the fares are 2 eurocent per minute, when using a mobile phone it will be around 15 cent, (because you have to pay your mobile carrier around 13 cents a minute.

Of course there are also the various VOIP companies that also offer, 2 to 5 cent per minute, but this requires an internet connection. (at least on your end). Skype requires both to have internet, or you have to revert to skype-out, but the quality of skype isn't better then that of the options mentioned above, sometimes the quality is actually worse.

Edited by sjaak327

This works from UK and costs just 1p per minute to a Thai land line or mobile.

Dial 0844 861 75 75 and then 00 66 plus the number you want to call in Thailand.

The 1p per minute is from a (BT) land line, if you call from a mobile in UK you may be charged an extra fee by your mobile service provider.

I have been receiving calls using this system for a couple of years without problems.

More Details

Edited by PREM-R

This works from UK and costs just 1p per minute to a Thai land line or mobile.

Dial 0844 861 75 75 and then 00 66 plus the number you want to call in Thailand.

The 1p per minute is from a (BT) land line, if you call from a mobile in UK you may be charged an extra fee by your mobile service provider.

I have been receiving calls using this system for a couple of years without problems.

More Details

Further to above use 0844 200 9898 at half a penny a minute

Chivas