Appropriate Visa For My Gf To Come To Thailand For Marriage

Hi Friends!

I am working in a reputed Engineering company in Thailand with Work permit. My gf is canadian and we are planning to get married in Thailand. Once we get married, my company will take care of her visa extension too, as I have discussed with the HR.

But I am wondering with what visa she should come to Thailand? I guess she cannot get Non-Immigrant dependent visa "O" becasue we are still not married. Can gf be considered as dependent with marriage intension? If not, the option left are on arrival 30 day stamp or with tourisa visa. Is it possible to get married and change her status to my dependent if she comes without visa and takes 30 day stamp? But 30 days would be too less to arrange all paper works to get married and change her status.

Or she should get the tourist visa that will allow her 60 days stay giving us a bit more flexibility?

Please help me with your suggestions if you got married in Thailand and made the change of status. Which visa option for her will be more convinient to change status inside Thailand?

Any suggestion and info regarding marriage in Thailand and visa matters will be appreciated. Thank you all for your kind help.

She should get a tourist visa. This will give her permission to stay for 60 days and this can be extended by 30 days at any immigration office in Thailand. After the wedding and with at least 21 days remaining on her permission to stay she can then apply at an immigration office for a change to non-immigrant visa and an annual extension of stay as your dependant.

--

Maestro

Marriage in thailand is very simple. First your g/f has to go to the embassy with all necesary documents. There she will have to fill out a form, which will be signed by the embassy. This form she has to get translated into Thai and then go to the Thai foreign office to legalize it. With the legalized document she can get married at any district office in Thailand.

Your girlfriend should have a look at the website of her embassy in Thailand: http://geo.international.gc.ca/asia/bangko...marriage-en.asp

The same goes for you. The website of your embassy should tell you wich documents are needed. It is the embassy who will have to check and certify that you can marry, so their rules apply.

The proces is straight forward and can al be done in one day, including the marriage. Legal marriage in Thailand doesn't consists of more than setting both your signatures at the district office. Don't expect any speaches or anything.

District offices in tourists areas will now how to deal with foreigners who get married. in small places you might want to consider calling them in advance, as they will have to look up the regulations on how the deal with the both of you.

There is only an income requirement for you to get a year extension.

When you have a 1 year extension, your legal wife can then piggyback on your extension, no separate requirements needed.

Guys, one more question, is it possible to change to her status to my dependent visa if she does not come with any visa, just get 30 days stamp at the airport on arrival?

I heared that it is not alowed to change status with stamping only, valid visa from the thai embassy abroad is needed.

anybody faced this?

Guys, one more question, is it possible to change to her status to my dependent visa if she does not come with any visa, just get 30 days stamp at the airport on arrival?

I heared that it is not alowed to change status with stamping only, valid visa from the thai embassy abroad is needed.

anybody faced this?

Yes she can. BUT,

There is every chance that the airline will not let her on the plane without a proper Visa if she does not have a ticket out of Thailand within 30 days.

Also on an entry stamp you would have to get married and apply for the non-O visa for her in the first 9 days of her stay. (You need to have at least 21 days left).

Like Lite Beer said, better to have a visa so she won't have problems with the airline.