Firefox 3 On Kubuntu.. Opening Maximized

LivinLOS

No matter what I do the window opens as a window and has to be manually maximized.. It wont remember last position..

Have tried dragging window edges, closing maxed, everything..

How you you control launch window prefs in KDE4 ??

Also Cant for the life of me work out why the nice looking FF3 default look and feel in the MS install is replaced by the fugly 1.0 looking images and icons for the Linux 3.0 default..

Are Linux users supposed to like it ugly ??

Do a spot-check to ensure you have the appropriate permissions set up with the directory ~/.mozilla. It should be something like:

drwx------   4 userID userGroup  4096 2008-05-25 05:48 .mozilla

Note, in many cases, the userID and the userGroup are the same.

If that is ok, then burrow (change directory) into the .mozilla folder to verify that the folder ~/.mozilla/firefox has the same permission. Then burrow into firefox, where you should see a directory for your profile... something like nu7qhkga.default. Make sure the permissions on this folder are similar to that of ~/.mozilla.

If that is ok, then burrow into that directory, and check the permissions on all of the files to ensure that you are the owner. Also check the file permissions on sessionstore.js. This file should be owned by you and it should have read-write permissions (600) only for you.

To change ownership of a file, use chown. To change permissions, use chmod. If your directories and your files seem ok, then don't worry about these commands. If you find a problem and don't know or understand how to use chown/chmod, just post back a reply with the current permissions assigned to the particular folder or file that you suspect may be a problem.

Edited by Gumballl

Thanks for taking the time..

Actually its fixed itself after 3 days of not saving the position.. I was doing another task and FF opened (2/3rd window as usual) but to the right hand side of screen this time and once window position set this time it stuck. I was set to try and trace through the perms later but have a bit of tinkering.

I have to say.. Having tried linux installs all the way back to slackware 3.2, and every time just finding them more work to use.. I am feeling very sold on kubuntu 4.0.5.. All hardware has worked.. Skype and msn now there.. Various apps all coming together.

Part of that is that I have so much handled online these days, google docs holds my primary docs, gmail is the front end for my mail, firefox foxmarks shares bookmarks, basically with so much being cross platform it gets easier to migrate than ever before.

Theres still niggles, some things with installing from non standard repositories seemed illogical / not documented correct. Google earth crashes and logs me out, theres stuff I need to solve and relearn.. But all in all I think Bills lost another one, and I was previously pretty happy with Vista.