Credit Card In Thailand

At Thai banks, if you make less than 80K Baht a month, then your nick is your answer. :D

:o

One of my foreign friends asked me about getting a credit card here earlier so I passed it onto a Thai friend of mine who's running the credit card program for a bank here. His response:

"1. Completed Application

2. a copy of Work Permit (at least 6 months validity left)

3. a copy of Passport

4. Salary Slip OR

Income Confirmation Letter+Last 6 month Bank Statement

Anyway the minimum monthly income for applying BLACK Card is THB 100K, and THB 50K for Gold Card.

Thanks for customers na.... :D "

Sir,

If you have the chance to ask your friend: do they have any criteria regarding how long you had your WP? I just got rejected by Amex. Had a WP for eight months, paid my taxes, no record (good or bad) at Credit Bureau, makes 60.000 thb/plus commission (50.000 is the requirement). I suspect the rejection might be that I have not worked long enough.

The reason I need a cc is that I have to advance all my expenses, travel and customer entertainment myself, (usually takes 4 weeks to get reimbursed). Hate to be bank for a big company!

Thanks in advance.

Hi Doro22,

I'm not too sure if there is a requirement to have the WP for a certain amount of time or not. I'll ask my friend and get back to you about it. Applications for credit cards get rejected all the time in Thailand for the most mundane reasons so if you reapply you might be approved the second time. I once had my application rejected by Bangkok Bank because the approval officer was on holidays so they just rejected all applications received for a 2 week period (and yes I don't believe the actually used this as an excuse too). Citibank rejected me once saying they "lost" my documents despite me physically handing them to the approval officer. On both occassions I was approved on the second attempt.

A possible reason you may have been rejected is that they don't really know what your income is because you have a variable portion which is the commission. Does your passbook statement separate the deposit into a salary and commission component or is it one single entry? You may have been rejected because they assume your salary is variable and constitutes too much risk in their eyes, or they just don't know how to assess your income structure.

If you like you can PM me with your contact details and I'll have an RM from UOB contact you.

At Thai banks, if you make less than 80K Baht a month, then your nick is your answer. :D

One of my foreign friends asked me about getting a credit card here earlier so I passed it onto a Thai friend of mine who's running the credit card program for a bank here. His response:

3. a copy of Passport

4. Salary Slip OR

Anyway the minimum monthly income for applying BLACK Card is THB 100K, and THB 50K for Gold Card.

Sir,

If you have the chance to ask your friend: do they have any criteria regarding how long you had your WP? I just got rejected by Amex. Had a WP for eight months, paid my taxes, no record (good or bad) at Credit Bureau, makes 60.000 thb/plus commission (50.000 is the requirement). I suspect the rejection might be that I have not worked long enough.

The reason I need a cc is that I have to advance all my expenses, travel and customer entertainment myself, (usually takes 4 weeks to get reimbursed). Hate to be bank for a big company!

Thanks in advance.

Hi Doro22,

I'm not too sure if there is a requirement to have the WP for a certain amount of time or not. I'll ask my friend and get back to you about it. Applications for credit cards get rejected all the time in Thailand for the most mundane reasons so if you reapply you might be approved the second time. I once had my application rejected by Bangkok Bank because the approval officer was on holidays so they just rejected all applications received for a 2 week period (and yes I don't believe the actually used this as an excuse too). Citibank rejected me once saying they "lost" my documents despite me physically handing them to the approval officer. On both occassions I was approved on the second attempt.

A possible reason you may have been rejected is that they don't really know what your income is because you have a variable portion which is the commission. Does your passbook statement separate the deposit into a salary and commission component or is it one single entry? You may have been rejected because they assume your salary is variable and constitutes too much risk in their eyes, or they just don't know how to assess your income structure.

If you like you can PM me with your contact details and I'll have an RM from UOB contact you.

Guys,

Thanks for wise comments. anthonyu, I might take you up on the offer, will check first with Amex if they are willing to give me the reason for rejection.

I can survive without a cc, but it’s annoying to lend 10-20.000 + every month to the company, especially if it sometimes takes six weeks to get it back...

you could try citibank... my experience with them was pretty good.

back then, i had already worked for a couple of months before applying for a visa platinum card with them:

1. it was free (and with free gifts thrown in!)

2. they sent somebody to collect all my documents (usual stuff like WP, Visa, etc...) at my office

3. the card was approved within one week

4. they had somebody send the card to me

it was free, fast and easy!

UOB platinum Visa from memory has no fee - or if it is, it is minimal (ie no more than a couple of hundered baht all up).

but they are not verified by visa. I tried to book on Air Asia last week for a domestic fligt. Card is rejected. I call AA callcenter, and they told me that UOB cards cannot be used. I call UOB and learn that they are not interested in joining this program and they will also not refund the 650 Baht extra costs for booking through AA callcenter. At least they were very sorry for the inconvenience caused.

that sounds to good to be true! All banks I called so far want a m/m salary of 100k. I am self-employed and must be stupid paying me such high salary for tax reasons.

I also enquired with Bangkok Bank for a corporate CC, there seems to be an option. I am still waiting for the e-mail with the details, though.

you could try citibank... my experience with them was pretty good.

back then, i had already worked for a couple of months before applying for a visa platinum card with them:

1. it was free (and with free gifts thrown in!)

2. they sent somebody to collect all my documents (usual stuff like WP, Visa, etc...) at my office

3. the card was approved within one week

4. they had somebody send the card to me

it was free, fast and easy!

Same advice here. I think the annual fees for the Citibank Platinum ROP card are 2000/year (free the first year) and I have a supplementary card issued as well. Spending of 300,000 (I think) a year gets the annual fee reimbursed.

Seems to be common practise here for Thais to ring their Credit Card provider once a year (when their annual fee is charged), threaten to cancel the card, and the provider will rebate the fee.

So far no serious issues with Citibank in at least 4 years, apart from them sending rather too much glossy junk mail.

I seem to remember that no domestic Thai bank-issued credit card is given a guarantee by the bank, so that if you experience cc fraud, the bank holds you, the honest customer, responsible for all monies charged to your card until you can fill in forms and return them to your original branch to hand them in. So I won't use a Thai cc until I find there's one 24-hour phone number to register my lost card and cancel it.

I have SCB credit cards and find them very vigilant when the card is being used....I have used them out of country and have had a phone call off them within 10 minutes of the card being swiped asking if I have just used the card....seems to me better service than you would get from a lot of "western banks"

3. a copy of Passport

4. Salary Slip OR

Sir,

Thanks in advance.

The answer could well be in the fact you have no credit record in Thailand, If applying the same set of circumstances in any other "Western" country...highly unlikely you would be approved either.....only worked for 8 months....no credit history...you would be seen as a high risk to default...always remember banks only like to give credit to people who dont really need it as the risk is less...

Wow... 4 weeks to get reimbursed by a company is not unusual...if you are not happy about this then get them to advance you the cash on a monthly basis....not a big deal if working for a reputable company..

At present I use cash or bank transfer. The only problem of not having a credit card is on-line hotel bookings...however I usually get around that by checking the internet price and then phoning the contact us number and offer to bank transfer.

I had the same problem, so I opened a Kasikorn savings account with internet banking because from your online account you can get a virtual credit card (WebCard). It's free, no requirement, no question asked and it works pretty well for any kind of online booking up to 100,000 baht and it's safe (when you don't need it you can disable it). It's really a credit card, not a debit card.

From my own personal experience...Bank of Ayuthaya and Kasikorn Bank will issue a full blown credit card (Visa or Master) with a credit limit equal to an amount (minimum 50,000) you deposit in a special account with them.

Kasikorn Bank's online virtual web card also works well for internet purchases such as airline tickets, Amazon, PayPal etc.

But beware the reponse you get may differ from branch to branch. I found it best to go to the newer, smaller branches found in shopping malls and gas stations rather than the main high street branch. These small places seem more interested in getting customers.

So it can be done. Shop around don't take the first NO as a definitive answer.

The Director of Pattaya Tai Kasikorn bank told me recently that it's possible to obtain a CC WITHOUT a WP if you have at least 500,000 THB during 6 months on the account and / or if you have a company here.

I submitted the requested documents last week and I expect an answer next week.

I'll let you know.

Edited by geovalin

I seem to remember that no domestic Thai bank-issued credit card is given a guarantee by the bank, so that if you experience cc fraud, the bank holds you, the honest customer, responsible for all monies charged to your card until you can fill in forms and return them to your original branch to hand them in. So I won't use a Thai cc until I find there's one 24-hour phone number to register my lost card and cancel it.

I have SCB credit cards and find them very vigilant when the card is being used....I have used them out of country and have had a phone call off them within 10 minutes of the card being swiped asking if I have just used the card....seems to me better service than you would get from a lot of "western banks"

Ditto, was in HK and used my Thai Visa card to make a 40,000 baht purchase at a shop. They called me on my mobile before I even got out of the store. However, I travel so much on business they don't call for small purchases or hotels.

I got the whole paperwork runaround and policy talk BS runaround for months, going from Kasikorn, to Ayuthaya to SCB when finally, I found a new SCB branch, the woman said, "easy, put double the amount of the card limit into a savings account you can't touch, and we'll get you a credit card in 1 week." I did, and in 4 days I received both a Platinum Visa and a Titanium M/C

From my own personal experience...Bank of Ayuthaya and Kasikorn Bank will issue a full blown credit card (Visa or Master) with a credit limit equal to an amount (minimum 50,000) you deposit in a special account with them.

Maybe I am a bit slow: but if you do a deposit and get a "full blown" cc (equal amount deposit- credit limit), it sounds like a debit/electron card... Or do you get 30 days credit to pay the full amount...?

Kasikorn Bank's online virtual web card also works well for internet purchases such as airline tickets, Amazon, PayPal etc.

But beware the reponse you get may differ from branch to branch. I found it best to go to the newer, smaller branches found in shopping malls and gas stations rather than the main high street branch. These small places seem more interested in getting customers.

So it can be done. Shop around don't take the first NO as a definitive answer.

• 2 weeks later...

I get the jokers from AMEX THAI calling me every few months and its always the same conversation

"Hello sir - you must have alot of money because we bought a lead list that says you have accurred a billizzon miles on TG in the last year - so we want to give you a THAI AMEX credit card"

then I say ....

"Thats great I will take it - though I dont have a work permit because I only domicile in thailand and my offices are in a nearby country - hence all the miles - so I dont have a work permit because I dont work here"

that really confuses them - then still hungry for their commission they go and try to find a manager to see if they can make an exception and I usually hang up the phone and they never call back. ( you ever notice when they cant deal with situations they just put you on hold indefinitely)

In fact I really wish they would give me a card as I would rack the hel_l out of it - but unfortunately the hand does not know what the foot is doing.

At present I use cash or bank transfer. The only problem of not having a credit card is on-line hotel bookings...however I usually get around that by checking the internet price and then phoning the contact us number and offer to bank transfer.

I had the same problem, so I opened a Kasikorn savings account with internet banking because from your online account you can get a virtual credit card (WebCard). It's free, no requirement, no question asked and it works pretty well for any kind of online booking up to 100,000 baht and it's safe (when you don't need it you can disable it). It's really a credit card, not a debit card.

This is indeed good news ! Tomorrow I will go to PattayaKlang branch to ask confirmation.

This is indeed good news ! Tomorrow I will go to PattayaKlang branch to ask confirmation.

I went to Kasikorn bank , Pattaya Klang branch and could open an account just with tourist visa.I was not required any big deposit either, and put down just only 10,000 baht. To apply for internet banking you need to have a mobile phone number , as they will routinely send you a confirmation code via sms for some transactions. I could log in the system and request the card that was available one day later.

Tried to use it with Airasia and it was declined.

Tried again with Jetstar and was accepted.

Could anyway do also with Airasia using the direct payment option as I have internet banking with Siam Commercial Bank also.

Men, isn't life complicated.... :o

don't worry, air asia wont work with some visa cards issued by some banks here in Thailand. Certain banks here have blocked air asia as a payee. Dunno why - lady on the phone said it had something with paying to a malaysian - a country with higher levels of credit card fraud...

i'm working for a thai company. I have wp of 8 months, 40k plus monthly salary, salary slips, tax paper, bank account book

stayed here for 8 years with a solid bank history while studying.

still, i got rejected from siam commercial bank and ktc. The reason why i'm interested in this two banks coz they have lots of promotion while purchasing things in Thailand. Good installment as well.

how do i get the credit card? really frustrating.

• 1 year later...

You need a minimum of one year history of a valid Thailand work permit in order to apply for a Thai credit card. No way around that.

Some interesting points:

1. Central credit card has been mentioned here previously as a Thai credit card for which expats have a high percentage of receiving a successful and approved application. I followed that advice two years ago and I was approved.

2. Kasikorn Web debit card is a good alternative for people who haven't had a work permit for over one year. You can make purchases online only. Nice feature is that you can set the credit balanace to "Zero" when you don't need it. That way no one can make a charge. This is done by a mobile phone confirmation code generated on their website.

3. Bangkok Bank has a debit card "Be 1st" that can be used for online purchases. Ask your local Bangkok Bank staff how to apply because it is a special feature not available on the normal "Be 1st" debit card which is generally issued.

4. If you want to know which credit cards offer the best incentive program just ask any working Thai person. Most have a wallet full of credit cards. That is what I do in my office.

5. If you are on a retirement visa or not employed in Thailand some banks will allow you to place a deposit in the bank to hold as a guarantee. Not attractive but it is an option.

6. If you are married to Thai you can apply in her name for the credit card.

7. I pay my balance in full at the end of month. I don't want to pay the high interest charges.

8. Finally, be nice to the credit card people. They are just following the rules set by the company. If you treat them poorly (like many expats do in Thailand when they become upset) it will just make it harder for you to get what you want. Be friendly :-)

I applied for and received a Platinum card from KTC, they advised that the Min salary was thb 40,000 per month as well as the WP and copy of bank books for 6 months.

I was missing some of the "requirements" WP was not quite yet equal to 2 yrs and bank nook was not regularly updated, so missing a couple of months in between.

They seemed really happy to help, advised that I should not worry about it and that it shouldn't be a problem. Tokk about 2 weeks from the time I applied until I received the card in the mail.

Not sure if it helped, but I requested a Suplimental card for my wife and she is also working and has a good credit history.