What Is This Fly?

farangconnection

This fly looks very much like a Tsetse Fly, but can you get them in Thailand. It landed on me this morning.

post-27891-1214450190_thumb.jpg

In Thai language ginglee (or similar). Will not harm you and the Thais eat them -- definitely not of the tsetse or mozzie type !!

This fly looks very much like a Tsetse Fly, but can you get them in Thailand. It landed on me this morning.

In Thai language ginglee (or similar). Will not harm you and the Thais eat them -- definitely not of the tsetse or mozzie type !!

What a surprise..

Jinglid = cricket (not sure if they would call the game that though if they played it..)

Doesn't look like one to me apart from the back legs, but it's the tropics and there are millions of different insects around. Chances are, it's completely harmless and just lost looking for some suitable vegetation somewhere...

As you reside in Jurrasic Park it may well turn out to be some breed of long extinct man eating kangerillerpig flying thingy. :D

Probably awoken from milleniumss of hibernation when Yorkie opened his wallet and bought a round :o

Looks remarkably like a Surinus Barflyus ,should be treated carefully. :o

closely related to the more common Surinus Balloonchaserus :D

I was going to recommend www.thaibugs.com.

But I opened it just now and a virus was found as soon as the front page came up.

It is a great site for pics of insects, maybe only take a look if you have virus software installed.

Looks remarkably like a Surinus Barflyus ,should be treated carefully. :o

closely related to the more common Surinus Balloonchaserus :D

Very common after large gatherings , attracted by the copious amounts of spilt grog and bull dust. :D

This insect is not a true species of fly. Having no wings it is technically known as a walk. (Walkliphora vomitfarangoria)

The species breaths through 5 tubes located at the front below the eyes. Air is sucked in like a jet by continuous fast forward movements. The Walk has to maintain fast movements in order to breathe and is always busy buzzing about.

Sometimes incorrectly described as the Blue Arsed fly, which is a totally unrelated species.

Edited by distortedlink