Black Magic, Woodoo, Superstition, Exorcism ....

JanAndersLarsson

OK Boys ! For once a serious topic.

I guess you have all heard it. You are a farang. You can't understand.

My wife has epilepsy. Her family believes she is under influnce of an evil spirit. Visits an exorcist to cure her. In between they just lough because she is crazy.

The local police dies suddenly. Someone has set the evil eye on him.

Something bad happened. I did not have my amulett on.

What do you clever guys out there think ? I have heard that the khmer people in Surin are very proficient with black magic.

The Khmer/Thai in the Surin area do believe in black magic very similar to voodoo. They even have the dolls that they do in Haiti. Be careful if someone steals hair from you. They might be making a doll of you??!! :o

Especially older people believe in this but also some young ones. Who knows maybe it would help your wife to see an exorcist. Faith can move mountains. Tron kan försätta berg!

Edited by feffejonsson

Its not ''Purely down to education'' Its called Cultural difference, This place is called Thailand.

Back to the OP i hear you brother i get this malarky all the time in Surin. I don't believe in a word of it but i love to see it. It is so different and interesting i never get bored. Surin is where the Magic is at so i hear from the misses.

Well !

I guess my wife who is very superstitious is very suspecious about her daughter in law (khmer) from Surin. They are no friends.

I was with my wife and her family about ten years ago to see an exorcist. I say; brrr.... It was no fun.

So Leffe Jonsson (right ?); better to use western medicine if you know what it is all about. Since my wife listened to her doctor and takes her medicine every now day she has no problems. But back in the year of 2000. I guess I like her very much because I didn't throw her away.

I live near Surin and I thought it was the work of The Worzel Gummidge Appreciation Society. :o

I think most of my neighbours are affected by the all powerful spirit called Lao Cow :D

Dave(sorry must go, my spaceship has just arrived)

Edited by Dave the Dude

I live near Surin and I thought it was the work of The Worzel Gummidge Appreciation Society. :o

I think most of my neighbours are affected by the all powerful spirit called Lao Cow :D

Bye Dave...........Fly away ............fly away..................... :D

Tomorrow some superstitious Suriners may report they've seen UFOs :D

Can you give me a lift Dave, as long as I get to Ursa Minor Beta by last Tuesday, I'll be fine.

One of my sisters (the living one) suffers from Petit Mal, not full blown epilepsy, but some of the symptoms are similar, she can just switch off mid sentence in a conversation and then come back on-line ( so to speak) as if nothing had happened.

Is this the work of ghosts? ... somehow I doubt that....... and all the chanting by the orange robed leaches has yet to convince me otherwise.

Its not ''Purely down to education'' Its called Cultural difference, This place is called Thailand.

I agree but disagree. Go back 500 years or more in Europe and we would all believe in mystical creatures of the night. Since then our culture has remained basically the same, slightly evolved, but our knowledge (aka education) has advanced enormously. Even the "slight evolution" can be traced back to education. A lot of the so called cultural differences between races is down to lack of knowledge. Why should a person's feet be less important than their head? Neither can survive without the other (speaking of course in a purely natural world without welfare support).

Were we correct in our beliefs 500 years ago or are we correct now? That is a good question, there is an awful lot we don't understand and, for some, faith is a very powerfull force.

Can you give me a lift Dave, as long as I get to Ursa Minor Beta by last Tuesday, I'll be fine.

Sure, You can sit by the window next to Father Xmas or Jesus. BTW Elvis might be in the building too!

:o

Delirious Dave :D

My wife's nephew was married to a lady who lived at the south end of Roi-st on the Surin Border, her family practiced black magic to the extent that my wife's nephew left and moved back to his family home. I don't know much about black magic, but I do know that I have read some expert reports about it and they claim that it is real, but for it to work both parties have to believe in it. My wife's nephew twice when he was still living with his wife got stomach pains so bad he had to be rushed to the hospital and both times they could not find anything wrong. Black magic? Who knows, my wife's nephew says he does not believe in it, but since he has left his wife, over 18 months now, he has had no problem with his stomach. Issangeorge

My wife's nephew was married to a lady who lived at the south end of Roi-st on the Surin Border, her family practiced black magic to the extent that my wife's nephew left and moved back to his family home. I don't know much about black magic, but I do know that I have read some expert reports about it and they claim that it is real, but for it to work both parties have to believe in it. My wife's nephew twice when he was still living with his wife got stomach pains so bad he had to be rushed to the hospital and both times they could not find anything wrong. Black magic? Who knows, my wife's nephew says he does not believe in it, but since he has left his wife, over 18 months now, he has had no problem with his stomach. Issangeorge

Living in a marriage will most certainly some time give you stomach pains...and some time headaches :o

I believe there are SOME people out there versed in both black and white variations. However, they don't advertise themselves and nobody goes to them unless absolutely necessary. Have seen strange things and have seen strange things happening to me; which basically left me the choice to declare myself insane or .... that there really are things that cannot be, should not be. Preferred the latter :o

Somebody mentioned the vodoo dolls. Yes, I have participated in a ceremony involving them. AND MONKS!

On Epilepsy, I recommend the OP to read the book "The spirit catches you and you fall down". I admit it has a very uninspiring title, but is absolutely fascinating to read.

I believe there are SOME people out there versed in both black and white variations. However, they don't advertise themselves and nobody goes to them unless absolutely necessary. Have seen strange things and have seen strange things happening to me; which basically left me the choice to declare myself insane or .... that there really are things that cannot be, should not be. Preferred the latter :o

Somebody mentioned the vodoo dolls. Yes, I have participated in a ceremony involving them. AND MONKS!

On Epilepsy, I recommend the OP to read the book "The spirit catches you and you fall down". I admit it has a very uninspiring title, but is absolutely fascinating to read.

I am very fond of reading books but I guess I have enough experience of epilepsy already. But thankyou anyhow.

And Bergen ! The seriousness ! I think that the topic about black magic comes up at lest once every year here at Isaan forum. Funny to read about !

I agree but disagree. Go back 500 years or more in Europe and we would all believe in mystical creatures of the night. Since then our culture has remained basically the same, slightly evolved, but our knowledge (aka education) has advanced enormously. Even the "slight evolution" can be traced back to education. A lot of the so called cultural differences between races is down to lack of knowledge. Why should a person's feet be less important than their head? Neither can survive without the other (speaking of course in a purely natural world without welfare support).

Were we correct in our beliefs 500 years ago or are we correct now? That is a good question, there is an awful lot we don't understand and, for some, faith is a very powerfull force.

I can only speak for myself but if I had to choose between loosing a fot or my head I´d say my head is more dear and important to me!

Edited by feffejonsson

Epilepsy is officially referred to in Thai as FALLING CRAZY PIG disease.

Very sensitive indeed.

Yes I know. Are'nt they nice in LOS ??

It´s feffe.

By the way. What is a lad like yourself doing so far away from the country of suicides and broken dreams (Sweden).

I dispute the 500 years, Our Lady of Lourdes, an alleged apparition, was 150 years ago. Today, the mumbo jumbo practised by pentacostalists would be amusing if it wasn't so scary!

I think I trust belief systems that have lasted 5 or 6 thousand years as against a 2000 year old theory

I think I trust belief systems that have lasted 5 or 6 thousand years

And they would be what?

That a sabre tooth tiger was not a cute liddle puddy tat.

The older beliefs were more earthly orientated. Worship and pay homage to the gods and they will deliver you a better harvest thus you and your family can live a little better the following year. Not so different now with the way many Thais, and others, seek advice from "seers" before buying lottery tickets or buy those tickets from vendors camped out in revered temples.

Epilepsy is officially referred to in Thai as FALLING CRAZY PIG disease.

Very sensitive indeed.

Yes I know. Are'nt they nice in LOS ??

It´s feffe.

By the way. What is a lad like yourself doing so far away from the country of suicides and broken dreams (Sweden).

I am doing just nothing. Fullfills my dream of a nice life as fully retired. I bought a plot of land for my wife since 10 years. She grows rice, vegetables and a little fruit which she sells at the local market (most for fun) or gives away for free to her friends and the neighbours. We have no children together but two each (all grown up) from previous marriages. It is a little bit slow sometimes but now we have good roads so it is easy to take the car and go down to Jomtien (Pattaya) for a week or two.

christianity and the Inquisistion eradicated Paganism in Europe way back, Hundreds of years of a Christian europe would eventually have meant that most superstitious beliefs would have ceased to exist. I don't think education or lack of knowledge has anything to do with it, Every religion or belief can be picked apart by an educated mind that it why it is called faith.

If Christianity or Islam had never been founded i honestly believe European countries would be no different to Thailand in regards to Superstition and Mumbo Jumbo regardless of Education.

Hi there.

I was directed to this thread from another because it looks as though my 3 1/2 daughter has epilepsy, it is yet to be diagnosed but it looks almost certain.

Living in Bangkok I would think that we are less likely to experience that same degree of ignorance, although we have already experienced some stupidity in the form of somebody suggesting that we are bad parents for 'allowing' these seizures to happen. Although having this sort of thing directed towards my wife and I is obviously better than it being directed towards our daughter, although having read this thread it is clear that we should brace our selves for it.

We are somewhat fortunate in that the school principle has an epileptic son, and so they are empathic and know what to do in the case of a seizure (Which has happened twice at the school now).

We are beginning to learn the what the triggers are, which tend to be related to tiredness through either our daughter not eating enough or lots of excercise, and through this learning we are hoping to stem the frequency of the attacks, along with the medication which has so far failed to have any effect.

Hi there.

I was directed to this thread from another because it looks as though my 3 1/2 daughter has epilepsy, it is yet to be diagnosed but it looks almost certain.

Living in Bangkok I would think that we are less likely to experience that same degree of ignorance, although we have already experienced some stupidity in the form of somebody suggesting that we are bad parents for 'allowing' these seizures to happen. Although having this sort of thing directed towards my wife and I is obviously better than it being directed towards our daughter, although having read this thread it is clear that we should brace our selves for it.

We are somewhat fortunate in that the school principle has an epileptic son, and so they are empathic and know what to do in the case of a seizure (Which has happened twice at the school now).

We are beginning to learn the what the triggers are, which tend to be related to tiredness through either our daughter not eating enough or lots of excercise, and through this learning we are hoping to stem the frequency of the attacks, along with the medication which has so far failed to have any effect.

At www.epilepsy.com you can find a lot of information about epilepsy and its treatment. I guess your and the medics main problem just now is to find out what type of epilepsy your daughter has. When you find the correct medication she might be free of seizures for good or for a long time. But it can be quite a while before that.

Close I have only the knowledge about my wife with the disease. Since she was told by her doctor that she must take her medicine every day and since she learned to obey she has had no seizures at all but somtimes when she has forgotten she has been very close to a new seizure. Like your daughter she seems to be very tired then.

It is now more than 7 years that she has been free of seizures but I guess she must take her medicine every day the rest of her life. The prospect for children to be fully cured are much better.

Hi there.

At www.epilepsy.com you can find a lot of information about epilepsy and its treatment. I guess your and the medics main problem just now is to find out what type of epilepsy your daughter has. When you find the correct medication she might be free of seizures for good or for a long time. But it can be quite a while before that.

Close I have only the knowledge about my wife with the disease. Since she was told by her doctor that she must take her medicine every day and since she learned to obey she has had no seizures at all but somtimes when she has forgotten she has been very close to a new seizure. Like your daughter she seems to be very tired then.

It is now more than 7 years that she has been free of seizures but I guess she must take her medicine every day the rest of her life. The prospect for children to be fully cured are much better.

I am no expert on epilepsy. But I seem to recall reading somewhere that two common triggers are loud music or flashing lights. Lucky for everyone there is neither in Thailand!

Edited by feffejonsson

My son s disabled with Cerebral Palsy, Blindness and has Epilepsy. He is 5 yo now and his seizures are well controlled with Epilim (Sodium Valproate). He has a seizure for 3 minutes every month or so at the most but at the satrt identifying the correct medication to suit him best was more of an issue and we had to try several types before the Epilim was introduced and had a positive effect. In thailand we found people are more ignorant about disability in general but the medicines are readily available over there as long as you find the right doctor to identify which one for your child. Always find the best Paediatric Consultant Neurologist to monitor your child and prescribe the right medicines. The equivalent cost through Rajavej hospital pharmacy counter was 500baht for 7 day supply but that was for a Thai local brand of Sodium valproate. I don't know how much the original brand costs.