Permanent Residency

Hi ,

I am having almost 3years back to back non o extensions complete, based on marriage . I do not generate income in Thailand but outside .My Thai wife does generate income . My Non O extension is based on the 400000 THB rule (grandfathered)

I would like to move ahead and do the Permanent Residency but like to know if there is a way doing so without being employed or having business in the Kingdom. It is my understanding that i must show some Tax Payments (3 years?)...if so how much and where do i need to do the "voluntary" Tax Payment .

Thank you for info and advice,

mbox

I would start by using the searchfunction and also take a look at the pinned thread about this subject.

But from what what you have told us now i very very much doubt that it will be enough for what you want.

Good luck.

One of their main decision factors is if you are a valuable asset to the country.

They mainly decide this on how much tax you pay monthly, so basically you need to be working here on a work permit.

In general applicants only paying tax on the minimum salary (50,000 Baht/month) will get refused at application!

So I doubt you will have much chance of seeing your application accepted.

<br />One of their main decision factors is if you are a valuable asset to the country.<br />They mainly decide this on how much tax you pay monthly, so basically you need to be working here on a work permit.<br /><br />In general applicants only paying tax on the minimum salary (50,000 Baht/month) will get refused at application!<br /><br />So I doubt you will have much chance of seeing your application accepted.<br />

the minimum salary is usually around 30-35k bath, 50k is already a high salary as it does allow you to get extensions.

The PR (and the concept of PR is a joke in itself, as there are many ways it can be revoked) department is one of those in-active postings that immigation officers get assigned to, as there is a set of catch 22's that need to be negotiated to get the rediculously titled PR. I mean for example, having to be married to a Thai for a full 5 years before you are entitled to apply for PR under the marriage provision, and then still requiring a work permit after that.

The PR (and the concept of PR is a joke in itself, as there are many ways it can be revoked) department is one of those in-active postings that immigation officers get assigned to, as there is a set of catch 22's that need to be negotiated to get the rediculously titled PR. I mean for example, having to be married to a Thai for a full 5 years before you are entitled to apply for PR under the marriage provision, and then still requiring a work permit after that.

Actually, PR in Thailand works much like PR everywhere else in that there are two components to it: a permanent residency component and a re-entry facility that allows the holder to leave the country and return again as a PR. The permanent residency component of Thai PR does allow the holder to stay in Thailand forever, just like PR anywhere else. The re-entry component (effected via endorsements and Non-Quota Immigrant visas only if the holder wishes to travel abroad) allows the holder to leave Thailand for up to a year. Unlike many other countries, however, Thailand imposes no minimum residency period on its PR holders, which means that a Thai PR holder can maintain his PR indefinitely even while living abroad, so long as he visits Thailand once a year to renew his new endorsement/Non-Quota re-entry permits. Contrast this with Australia, where PR can be lost unless the holder spends at least two years in any given five years actually in the country, with most other countries imposing similar restrictions on minimum time in. Most other countries reserve the right to revoke PR in certain cases, such as criminal behaviour, so you have to keep your nose clean, but for normal people living and working in Thailand the rules governing Thai PR are not all that bad.

On the negative side, Thai PR does not give the holder as many rights as PR in some other countries, such as property ownership for example. Not holding my breath for any changes there though, but Thai PR holders can go on to get Thai nationality which confers all the rights that the locals themselves enjoy. Thai PR is not as worthless as it may look at first sight..

Actually, PR in Thailand works much like PR everywhere else in that there are two components to it: a permanent residency component and a re-entry facility that allows the holder to leave the country and return again as a PR. The permanent residency component of Thai PR does allow the holder to stay in Thailand forever, just like PR anywhere else. The re-entry component (effected via endorsements and Non-Quota Immigrant visas only if the holder wishes to travel abroad) allows the holder to leave Thailand for up to a year. Unlike many other countries, however, Thailand imposes no minimum residency period on its PR holders, which means that a Thai PR holder can maintain his PR indefinitely even while living abroad, so long as he visits Thailand once a year to renew his new endorsement/Non-Quota re-entry permits. Contrast this with Australia, where PR can be lost unless the holder spends at least two years in any given five years actually in the country, with most other countries imposing similar restrictions on minimum time in. Most other countries reserve the right to revoke PR in certain cases, such as criminal behaviour, so you have to keep your nose clean, but for normal people living and working in Thailand the rules governing Thai PR are not all that bad.

On the negative side, Thai PR does not give the holder as many rights as PR in some other countries, such as property ownership for example. Not holding my breath for any changes there though, but Thai PR holders can go on to get Thai nationality which confers all the rights that the locals themselves enjoy. Thai PR is not as worthless as it may look at first sight..

Thank you dbrenn, very informative. Maybe I came acrooss a little harsh. Cheers again.

the minimum salary is usually around 30-35k bath, 50k is already a high salary as it does allow you to get extensions.

Well, you need to have had the extensions for 3 years in a row to qualify for PR, but they have never looked kindly on people only paying taxes on that 50,000, i.e. just enough to get the extensions.

BTW, currently labor department demands a minimum salary equal or more then what immigration needs to approve a 1 year extension.

Practically that means minimum salaries at labor department are now nationality based (50,000 Europeans, 35,000 for Filipino's,...).

They require this regardless of whether you will use your WP to extend your stay or not! Even when you already have a 1 year extension (marriage for example).

In force for about 1 month now.

Exceptions are teachers and journalists.

Well, you need to have had the extensions for 3 years in a row to qualify for PR, but they have never looked kindly on people only paying taxes on that 50,000, i.e. just enough to get the extensions.

BTW, currently labor department demands a minimum salary equal or more then what immigration needs to approve a 1 year extension.

Practically that means minimum salaries at labor department are now nationality based (50,000 Europeans, 35,000 for Filipino's,...).

They require this regardless of whether you will use your WP to extend your stay or not! Even when you already have a 1 year extension (marriage for example).

In force for about 1 month now.

Exceptions are teachers and journalists.

Being a teacher doesn't account for anything, I applied a few years back - 4 years back to back extensions, married to a Thai etc etc and Bht 30 000 per month previous 3 years - first statement was - " you don't pay enough tax " "yes, but I am on a government contract to a university and have no control over my wage level" " doesn't matter" -- end of story.

Since the OP's income is from outside Thailand I doubt he is paying any direct Thai tax?

I do not think that the wife's income will factor in when he applies for PR.

Since the OP's income is from outside Thailand I doubt he is paying any direct Thai tax?

I do not think that the wife's income will factor in when he applies for PR.

Correct on both points so far i never paid any direct Thai tax. Nor will wifes income factor when applying PR. I am looking into what best way to go now....so whatever relates to my situation is welcome.

mbox

<br />
<br /><br />Well, you need to have had the extensions for 3 years in a row to qualify for PR, but they have never looked kindly on people only paying taxes on that 50,000, i.e. just enough to get the extensions.<br /><br />BTW, currently labor department demands a minimum salary equal or more then what immigration needs to approve a 1 year extension.<br />Practically that means minimum salaries at labor department are now nationality based (50,000 Europeans, 35,000 for Filipino's,...).<br />They require this regardless of whether you will use your WP to extend your stay or not! Even when you already have a 1 year extension (marriage for example).<br />In force for about 1 month now.<br />Exceptions are teachers and journalists.<br /><br />

yes i saw that hopefully this does only apply to new work permit as sunbelt said in the appropriate topic.