Dvd Won't Burn.. Crashes Or Freezes... Never Completes

CosmicSurfer

I have tried everything.. But no matter what I do or what program I use, I just can't get a DVD to burn successfully.

I'm trying to burn some .avi files (Torrent downloads). I've tried different files, different sizes.

I've tried different software.. Roxio Easy Media Creater 10, Nero 8, and ImgBurn latest version.

I've tried burning Video Disks... I've Tried Data disks.

None of them work... They all either freeze or Error out trying to Complete the Disk.

This is Only for DVDs +R ... VCDs work fine on regular CD-R80

I'm about to jump into the Klong !!!!!!

Any ideas????

CS

A missing DLL file can cause that, so can a lack of free hard disk space or using a computer with a low ammount of memory. Take a look at the FAQ pages on the sites of the software programs you are using for some more ideas.

A missing DLL file can cause that, so can a lack of free hard disk space or using a computer with a low ammount of memory. Take a look at the FAQ pages on the sites of the software programs you are using for some more ideas.

I don't get any missing DLL messages or any Error messages of any type...

and I have over 100GB of free HDD space.. and 3GB of installed Ram.

The computer either just freezes or won't complete the disk, depending on the software I try.

and VCDs burn fine.

CS

When I had the missing DLL problem I didn't get any messages. Tracked down the solution via an FAQ, downloaded the file off the internet and things worked again. Apparently I must have deleted it or damaged it somehow but I had no memory of doing so.

When I had the missing DLL problem I didn't get any messages. Tracked down the solution via an FAQ, downloaded the file off the internet and things worked again. Apparently I must have deleted it or damaged it somehow but I had no memory of doing so.

Any Idea what DLL or Which FAQ ???

I've just installed CDBurnerXP, and I'm trying it now.... It started to work, then suddenly the light on the DVD stopped flashing, The program window says Burn Process started.... and the elapsed time is approaching 15 minutes... But Nothing is happening.. No action on Burner (Asus) and no movement in the Burn % indicator in the Program window.. Time remaining has show 2 minutes sionce I started the Burn.

Still striking out and looks like I wasted another DVD.

CS

Edited by CosmicSurfer

I have tried many different burner programs. I ended up with BurnAware. Not that it is the best one but what I discovered is that when I am burning a disk, I can't touch anything or try to do anything else. Normally the burn completes and everything is fine. If I try to do anything else while it is burning it all quits working.

Thought I may have seen the information about the DLL on the Nero site but can't find it now. Looking at the FAQ for CD Burner they mention problems with Net Framework so maybe read that FAQ for some ideas.

What about deleting the burner in Device Manager, unpluggging it and rebooting, then let the system detect it again? Driver reinstallation is always worth a try as well.

Have you tried burning at the lowest possible burning speed?

Have you tried burning to the DVD-R format?

Does your Phillips model burner incorporate buffer under-run protection? Does it have dynamic write speed calibration, what size cache does it have, is it a dual layer burner?

I have a temperamental DVD burner.. Its still ticking along from the early days of burners but wont burn cheap media, often needs to have its speed cut back and only like -R DVD's even though it should be a multi format burner.. I have tried a few FW's but dont really care, I just get high quality blanks and -R DVD's..

Have you tried burning at the lowest possible burning speed?

Have you tried burning to the DVD-R format?

Does your Phillips model burner incorporate buffer under-run protection? Does it have dynamic write speed calibration, what size cache does it have, is it a dual layer burner?

Lowest Possible speed - No, Just went with the default

Burn to DVD-R - No, I bought +R as shop and research suggested they were best for all players. But it a good idea to try them.

Phillips Burner - No... DVD disks were Phillips +R... Burner is ASUS DRW-1814BLT , just bought last November.

Dual-Layer - I actually am not sure.

Dynamic write speed calibration - I have no idea. Lost me here.. If it did, I would have no idea on how to set it.

Sorry.. I'm just a lowly user.. not a geek.

Wooh is me. :o

CS

I have tried everything.. But no matter what I do or what program I use, I just can't get a DVD to burn successfully.

I'm trying to burn some .avi files (Torrent downloads). I've tried different files, different sizes.

I've tried different software.. Roxio Easy Media Creater 10, Nero 8, and ImgBurn latest version.

I've tried burning Video Disks... I've Tried Data disks.

None of them work... They all either freeze or Error out trying to Complete the Disk.

This is Only for DVDs +R ... VCDs work fine on regular CD-R80

I'm about to jump into the Klong !!!!!!

Any ideas????

CS

Try Ashampoo Burning Studio it works perfectly.

CS, if you're using an EIDE ATAPI burner (i.e., not serial), it really wants to be both the master & alone (i.e., no slaves on the EIDE hardware interface). Ensure that the pin configuration (you can read this on one side of the physical drive as well as in the drive's owner's manual) is set for either master or CSEL. The burner will probably still function (though with degraded performance) if there's a slave, but it almost has to be the secondary master. Also, ensure that you're seating the end (not the middle) of the cable to the burner.

Had a similar problem last year using Burnaware software.

Problem went away when I set the burn speed to the slowest available and, contrary to expectations, switched from using Memorex disks to cheapo Princo ones!

I had this problem with Princo. So, I bought Sony (I believe real.......but here you never know.......). And the problem disappeared!

CS, if you're using an EIDE ATAPI burner (i.e., not serial), it really wants to be both the master & alone (i.e., no slaves on the EIDE hardware interface). Ensure that the pin configuration (you can read this on one side of the physical drive as well as in the drive's owner's manual) is set for either master or CSEL. The burner will probably still function (though with degraded performance) if there's a slave, but it almost has to be the secondary master. Also, ensure that you're seating the end (not the middle) of the cable to the burner.

Well, that's sure to help the OP :o

Well, that's sure to help the OP :o

:D HELP!!!! HELP!!!! :D

MY computer was built by Jedi in Pantip.... I think they know what they were doing....

But then again, they are Thai.... SO, how would I know!

CS

As I posted above - My Burner is ASUS DRW-1814BLT , just bought last November

Click Here

Your burner should be able to burn without any problem.

May I suggest you don't go with the default burn speed. Choose the lowest available speed for another trial run.

The software that is loaded for this burner should provide an option to choose the speed that you want. Take some time to click on all of the software programs tabs and learn what options are available to you.

Quite often the default burn speed is too fast to handle the job at hand.

Whilst the disk is burning, go and make yourself a cup of tea. Don't do any other computer work until the disk has been burned.

Apart from all the advice given above I'd also try to:

A) do a disk cleanup...removing all temp files etc..

:o do a disk check..Open a command prompt window..Then chkdsk Drive Letter: /R. You may be instructed to close all open handles..say yes...You may be asked to schedule this for next restart...say yes.

Do above for all drives in your computer. It often solves problems. Rather like scandisk for WIN98 but this method works in XP. May take a long time depending on how many disks and their size. Don't do any other operations during cleanup or chkdsk.

Burn problems can also occur depending on what you're trying to burn. If its programs etc.. (data disk) try scanning for virus first. Your virus checker may be kicking in and stopping the burn if its found a suspect file.

Always..always..always burn to an ISO file first and then burn that to the disk.

But honestly it sounds as if the drive is dead. I've had one before that refused to burn DVD after about 6 mnth but would burn CD ok. DVD needs a lot more precision on placing the laser than a CD.

best of luck.....