Wirless Problem

Boater

Hi

For some reason my laptop will not pick up any wireless networks in Range.

I do know a setting has been changed on my laptop my a friend, but he cannot remember what he changed ( basically he was trying to get my bluetooth to work )

Any advise how to get my wireless working again?

Tx

for your wireless network adaptor - check it is set to automatically configure network connections

Configure network software for Windows XP

1. Click on START - Settings - Network and Dial Up Connections

2. Select and double-click on Local Area Connection

3. In the "Local Area Connection Status" window, click on the Properties button.

4. In the "Local Area Connection Properties" window, select and double click on Internet Protocol (TCP/IP).

5. In the "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) Properties" window (shown), the following should be checked:

Obtain an IP address automatically

Obtain DNS server address automatically

internet_protocol.gif

<br />Hi<br /><br />For some reason my laptop will not pick up any wireless networks in Range.<br /><br />I do know a setting has been changed on my laptop my a friend, but he cannot remember what he changed ( basically he was trying to get my bluetooth to work )<br /><br />Any advise how to get my wireless working again?<br /><br />Tx<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Hi this is just a thought as you do not describe exactly what is happening but if you can get access to an internet machine, try downloading network stumbler (I think it is at www.netstumbler.com). This will tell you if your wireless device is recognised and what APs it can see and their signal strength. If your wireless device is not working go to Control Panel - System - Hardware - Device Manager - Network Adapters, can you see your network card, if not try re-installing drivers. If your card is there and is not working try right clicking on adapter and choose uninstall from menu then reboot and Windows (assuming you are using Windows) will go through the 'found new hardware' routine and you can re-install your drivers. Hope that helps

Some computers have a Wlan card utility software that controls the Wifi & Bluetooth... Sounds like your friend has activated it from its dormant state to enable bluetooth... (This is not Windows software but proprietary to your computer or Wlan card - For instance I have a Dell and it has a TrueWlan Card utility) look for that running on your computer maybe a bluetooth icon or reception bars have appeared in your lower right system icon tray... right click and open it up and see if there is a way to enable your wifi radio and UNCHECK the box that says let this tool manage my wireless settings - that will release control back to Windows standard wifi

delltruemobile9.JPG

Edited by sfokevin

<br />Hi<br /><br />For some reason my laptop will not pick up any wireless networks in Range.<br /><br />I do know a setting has been changed on my laptop my a friend, but he cannot remember what he changed ( basically he was trying to get my bluetooth to work )<br /><br />Any advise how to get my wireless working again?<br /><br />Tx<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Hi this is just a thought as you do not describe exactly what is happening but if you can get access to an internet machine, try downloading network stumbler (I think it is at www.netstumbler.com). This will tell you if your wireless device is recognised and what APs it can see and their signal strength. If your wireless device is not working go to Control Panel - System - Hardware - Device Manager - Network Adapters, can you see your network card, if not try re-installing drivers. If your card is there and is not working try right clicking on adapter and choose uninstall from menu then reboot and Windows (assuming you are using Windows) will go through the 'found new hardware' routine and you can re-install your drivers. Hope that helps

Hi,

Thanks alot for this... wireless is now working! :o