Gym In Chiang Mai

angelal

I slogged through the 4,783 previous posts about gyms in Chiang Mai, but still haven't found an answer to my question. I reside near the intersection of Chareonrat road and the Rama IX (?) bridge. I am looking for a gym (with lots of free weights) in this corner of the city. What makes this complicated is that I have no transportation, so I have to rely on tuk-tuks and song-taews. Anywhere I go that is not within 20-minutes' walking distance requires me to pay B40+ each way for transportation. That expense reduces the amount I am then able to pay for a gym.

So, do you know of any gyms within 1-2 miles of my location, with decent free weight equipment, that don't charge an arm and a leg?

Thanks.

Angela

I slogged through the 4,783 previous posts about gyms in Chiang Mai, but still haven't found an answer to my question. I reside near the intersection of Chareonrat road and the Rama IX (?) bridge. I am looking for a gym (with lots of free weights) in this corner of the city. What makes this complicated is that I have no transportation, so I have to rely on tuk-tuks and song-taews. Anywhere I go that is not within 20-minutes' walking distance requires me to pay B40+ each way for transportation. That expense reduces the amount I am then able to pay for a gym.

So, do you know of any gyms within 1-2 miles of my location, with decent free weight equipment, that don't charge an arm and a leg?

Thanks.

Angela

Yes. The municipal gym at the stadium has a good set of free weights and only costs 20 baht per visit. I think there is also an option to buy an annual membership for something in the hundreds of baht, then pay only 10 baht per visit. Not sure of the specifics. You can search all those other threads for more specifics on this gym or just have a visit--costs so little it would be worth it.

According to Google Earth, the gym is around 1.6km from the bridge--a mile.

Map is attached...

post-48006-1214737088_thumb.jpg

Yes. The municipal gym at the stadium has a good set of free weights and only costs 20 baht per visit. I think there is also an option to buy an annual membership for something in the hundreds of baht, then pay only 10 baht per visit. Not sure of the specifics. You can search all those other threads for more specifics on this gym or just have a visit--costs so little it would be worth it.

According to Google Earth, the gym is around 1.6km from the bridge--a mile.

Thanks for the suggestion. However, my husband visited that gym several times back in March and April, and he said it was in very poor condition. The equipment was pretty sparse, they didn't have any dumbbells over 50 pounds, the metal plates were rusty, and the cables on the machines were frayed. Do you know if it's been refurbished since then? If so, we'll certainly check it out again, but if not, we'd like to find somewhere a little less health-hazard-y. :o

Thanks for the suggestion. However, my husband visited that gym several times back in March and April, and he said it was in very poor condition. The equipment was pretty sparse, they didn't have any dumbbells over 50 pounds, the metal plates were rusty, and the cables on the machines were frayed. Do you know if it's been refurbished since then?

Almost certainly not, though it has been over six months since I've been there (been back in the US and using California Wow since I've been back).

I thought they had dumbbells over 50 pounds, though I would only be using those for shrugs and honestly don't remember. Yes, the plates were rusty--though when I lifted them, my arms couldn't tell the difference.

Thanks.

Angela

Wouldn't a 20 or 30 minute walk or jog to the gym be a good warm up? Songtaews are still charging 15 baht per trip around town, certainly not 40+ baht.

Edited by Blinky Bill

In Tanawan Village Moo Baan, there is a complex that has a swimming pool, free weights, various workout "machines",several martial arts dojos. All of these are new and modern facilities. Costs about 800B for yearly membership PLUS various daily charges depending on what you do. Located about 400 meters/yards north of the intersection of the first ling load and Mae Jo Hwy.#1001 (past Limping Market). Heading north, turn left approximately 50 meters before Jet gas station, through the security gate, straight ahead about 100 meters, on the left

Thanks.

Angela

Why doesn't he bicycle to the gym of his choice. He'll get a short cardio warmup before he starts his weight exercises. If he doesn't have one, you can buy a dirt cheap bike if it is used on a limited basis.

Songtaews are still charging 15 baht per trip around town, certainly not 40+ baht.

Uh...how? Any time we go anywhere, the minimum charge is B60 (30 per person). I recently quit asking the price beforehand in the songtaews, and now I just hand them money at the destination, but if I ever try to give them less than 30 per person, they squawk and tell me I need to pay them more. Maybe they can sense that I'm relatively new here (arrived in late March), and therefore assume they can rip me off without me knowing?

Why doesn't he bicycle to the gym of his choice. He'll get a short cardio warmup before he starts his weight exercises. If he doesn't have one, you can buy a dirt cheap bike if it is used on a limited basis.

Thanks for the reply. Neither of us has a bike. The traffic here is scary, and I'm pretty sure I'd get killed on my first outing on a bike. :o Besides, we're only here for three more months, most likely, (for a total of 6 months in Chiang Mai), so we didn't figure the monetary investment in a bike would pay for itself before we left.

The Government price is still 15 baht, but I think that they are all charging more. I have been just handing them 20 baht for medium length journeys with no problem.

Thanks. Are there any easy rules for what constitutes a medium-length journey? I'm assuming that from my condo to, say, Central Airport Plaza is a long journey. How about here to Kad Suan Kaew? Medium? Here to the Night Bazaar, or Carrefour? I'm still trying to figure out the transportation here!

Thapae Gate to Central at Kad Suan Keaw would be 20. Probably 30 to CM University main gate.

Thapae Gate to Central Airport Plaza would be 25-30. I used to pay 20 when the normal rate was 15.

A lot of the problem is figuring which plces are common destinations and have a lot of riders and which are considered to not be "convienient".

Thapae Gate to Central at Kad Suan Keaw would be 20. Probably 30 to CM University main gate.

Thapae Gate to Central Airport Plaza would be 25-30. I used to pay 20 when the normal rate was 15.

A lot of the problem is figuring which plces are common destinations and have a lot of riders and which are considered to not be "convienient".

You are the guru for the downtown scene....unfortunately for the folks barely out of town,the government prices and short downtown hops mean zilch when it comes to doing a ten to fifteen minute trip out to say 1st Ring rd and Mae Jo Hwy. Just for shits and giggles sometimes see what you can dicker a songtheaw down to at night or even daytime for a trip to my house near that intersection. Definately not convenient for them and the prices are astounding. Daytime prices for a songtheaw from my house to airport plaza run around 200Baht for the average newbie without knowledge or negotiating skills. When I used to use these guys I found one that charges 100Baht per hour and that was about the best around.Not that long ago either.

In Tanawan Village Moo Baan, there is a complex that has a swimming pool, free weights, various workout "machines",several martial arts dojos. All of these are new and modern facilities.

I'd like to hear more about the martial arts dojos. Anything besides the typical Tae Kwan Do McDojo?

• 2 weeks later...

This list from www.chiangmaiinfo.com - hope it's accurate?

I'm in CM May - December each year... Looking for a gym with good/keen instructors, need to take it slow after breaking some bones and doing little fitness work for a few years. Can live without the trimmings (jacuzzi, steam room etc), not keen on the hotel versions full of tourists, not that worried about cost, would prefer not to have more than a ten minute tuk tuk trip (live near Ka Tarn corner of the moat, Sri Donchai).

The first one on the list isn't far, anyone familiar with the Chiang Mai Fitness Centre? (I realise it's in a hotel).

Chiang Mai Fitness Center Chiang Mai Plaza 92 Sridonchai Rd.,

A. Muang, Chiang Mai 50100

trans.gifChiang Mai Hills Fitness Center

18 Huai Kaew Rd., T. Suthep,

A. Muang, Chiang Mai 50200

trans.gifChiang Mai Orchid Fitness Center Co. Ltd.

23 Huai Kaew Rd., T. Suthep,

A. Muang, Chiang Mai 50120

trans.gifChiang Mai Sport Club & Club House Inn

284 Moo 3 Chiang Mai-Fang Rd., T. Don Kaew,

A. Mae Rim, Chiang Mai 50180

trans.gifEmpress Fitness Center

The Empress Hotel 199/42 Chang Khlan Rd.,

T. Chang Khlan, A. Muang, Chiang Mai 50100

trans.gifHillside Fitness Center

Hillside Plaza & Condotel 4 Flr 4, 50/24 Huai Kaew Rd.,

A. Muang, Chiang Mai 50300

trans.gifLotus Pang Suan Kaew Hotel

99/4 Moo 2 Huai Kaew Rd., T. Suthep,

trans.gifPowerhouse Fitness Center

18/1 Nimmanhemin Rd. Soi 6, T. Suthep,

trans.gifShin Yu Complex

427/3 Witchayanon Rd.,

A. Muang, Chiang Mai 50300

trans.gifSuriwongse Fitness Center

Suriwongse Hotel, 110 Chang Khlan Rd.,

T. Chang Khlan, A. Muang, Chiang Mai 50100

trans.gifWorld Club Housing Co. Ltd.

178/832 Moo 7, Chiang Mai-Hot Rd., Km 10,

T. Nong Khwai, A. Hang Dong, Chiang Mai 50230

Edited by wedders

• 1 month later...

Just to follow up: My husband and I joined the gym at the Centara Duangawan (located in the Night Bazaar). The price was alright, the facilities are good, and it takes us about a 35-minute fast walk to get there. We're pleased.