Payap University: Class Notes

Lithobid

Hi Lithobid!

I've just found your forum posts about your studying and class notes at Payap. Excellent stuff!

I am also thinking about studying there in the near future, and now I'm looking for some feedback from previous students, to help me with my decision.

how was your experience studying in the intensive Thai program?

do you feel it progressed your Thai language ability effectively?

thanks in advance for any feedback!

Cheers!

Bo

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
Lithobid: it is very generous of you to share your lessons with others like this. :)

All the best to you in your studies.

Far too advanced. I did conversational Thai and when they suggested I learn to read I left. 70+ letters? What's all that about?

An effective way in is what's needed.

Thanks for trying - but no thanks.

• 9 months later...
Lithobid: it is very generous of you to share your lessons with others like this. :)

All the best to you in your studies.

Far too advanced. I did conversational Thai and when they suggested I learn to read I left. 70+ letters? What's all that about?

An effective way in is what's needed.

Thanks for trying - but no thanks.

I think it is time to breath some life back into this thread. I will talk to the Arjans at Payap and see if they can post daily to this thread. It does seem helpful.

• 6 months later...

North = เหนือ, not ตะวันเหนือ

South = ใต้, not ตะวันใต้

East = ตะวันออก (sunrise)

West = ตะวันตก (sunset)

Since ตะวัน = sun

The sun doesn't go from north to south or whatever.

Does this make any sense to you?

Or someone has already corrected...

• 2 months later...

Excellent post :D. I am new here and want to join this topic. I am Vietnamese, but I really enjoy learning Thai.

Btw, I think ทันที is nearer to the meaning "immediately" than "suddenly". For example, go out at once: ออกไปทันที

Anyone here is in favor of Thai Lakorn (ละคร), a good way of learning to speak and listen to Thai. My Thai language has improved a lot owing to this method.

Edited by Duyen

A special thanks to Meadish for pinning this thread, and editing. I try to keep it as neat as possible but that's the side effect of learning. http://ic.payap.ac.th/certificate/thai/about.php This is the URL for Payap's current schedule, tuition fees, and contact #'s. I started this thread in part to peak interest, because I think they have a great program worth every penny. I know when I was searching for a school, it was hard to come by good 1st hand info, so please if you have any questions about the University or the Thai Studies program, don't hesitate to ask.

Cheers Lithobid :D

Giving Directions (Part :o

I've separated the directions into two sections, part A for giving directions to a place, and part B is more for describing where a place is, in relation.

Notice how กับ (with) is used in most of these words.

In class I noted the unusual dictionary definition for เยื้องกับ, I think a better translation for common usage would be "up, down the street from". David I'm sure you have advise here? :D

เยื้องกับ – Diagonally Opposite

ระหว่าง – Between

ติดกับ – Next to

ตรงข้ามกับ – Across from

ใกล้กับ – Close to

อยู่บนถนน "___" – On "____" road.

อยู่ในซอย – On the street (Notice how we use บน for road, and ใน for ซอย)

ทางไป – On the way to

อยู่บนถนนทางไป – On the street on the way to…(this is good to use if you don't know the name of the street, but you do know where it goes ex.)

อยู่บนถนนทางไปเชียงใหม่ - (on the road on the way to Chiang Mai)

Example Sentences

I've attached a map to this post. Let's start with the

City Hospital (โรงพยาบาลเมือง).

โรงพยาบาลเมืองอยู่ใหน?

(Where is the City Hospital?)

โรงพยาบาลติดกับมหาวิทยาลัยเมืองและเยื้องกับศาลากลางบนถนนMadison Ave. กับ 3rd Street.

(The City Hospital is next to the University, and down the street from the City hall, on Madison Ave. and 3rd Street.)

Now take a look at the map, and try describing a location to your friend!

I've been in the habit of putting a อยู่ before all the location placement words in your sentences. Do they teach it without the อยู่?

e.g. (โรงพยาบาล

อยู่ติดกับมหาวิทยาลัยเมืองและเยื้องกับศาลากลางบนถนน Writing it out again I see that I would actually use the อยู่ before the first one but not repeat it for a second phrase in the same sentence. What do they say about the use of อยู่ in sentences like that?

A special thanks to Meadish for pinning this thread, and editing. I try to keep it as neat as possible but that's the side effect of learning. http://ic.payap.ac.th/certificate/thai/about.php This is the URL for Payap's current schedule, tuition fees, and contact #'s. I started this thread in part to peak interest, because I think they have a great program worth every penny. I know when I was searching for a school, it was hard to come by good 1st hand info, so please if you have any questions about the University or the Thai Studies program, don't hesitate to ask.

Cheers Lithobid :D

Giving Directions (Part :o

I've separated the directions into two sections, part A for giving directions to a place, and part B is more for describing where a place is, in relation.

In class I noted the unusual dictionary definition for เยื้องกับ, I think a better translation for common usage would be "up, down the street from". David I'm sure you have advise here? :D

ระหว่าง – Between

ติดกับ – Next to

ตรงข้ามกับ – Across from

ใกล้กับ – Close to

ทางไป – On the way to

อยู่บนถนนทางไป – On the street on the way to…(this is good to use if you don't know the name of the street, but you do know where it goes ex.)

Example Sentences

โรงพยาบาลเมืองอยู่ใหน?

โรงพยาบาลติดกับมหาวิทยาลัยเมืองและเยื้องกับศาลากลางบนถนนMadison Ave. กับ 3rd Street.

(The City Hospital is next to the University, and down the street from the City hall, on Madison Ave. and 3rd Street.)

I've been in the habit of putting a อยู่ before all the location placement words in your sentences. Do they teach it without the อยู่?

e.g. (โรงพยาบาล

อยู่ติดกับมหาวิทยาลัยเมืองและเยื้องกับศาลากลางบนถนน Writing it out again I see that I would actually use the อยู่ before the first one but not repeat it for a second phrase in the same sentence. What do they say about the use of อยู่ in sentences like that?

• 9 months later...

This thread has been great! Lots of information for a prospective Thai student in here.

I have a few questions which I hope the forum can answer as email replies from Payap have been a bit slow.

My plan is to arrive in CM in early May, look for accomodation and begin the application process to start in the next batch of classes. I am a bit concerned that time-wise I'll be cutting it a bit fine because the application deadline is 25th of May and I will need to hop across to Luang Prabang to get my visa sorted. Can anyone comment on the application process and whether this is a reasonable time line?

I notice also on the timetable at payap's website that classes start on 5th of June, but the module Thai 1 is only starting in the 2nd term from 9th July. As a new student, which term would my classes start in?

I'm really excited about the prospect of an extended stay in CM and some formal language study instead of dipping into Paiboon pocket dictionaries and asking locals to give me more words. If anyone can direct me to more information on the forum, or offer any advice or tips, it would be much appreciated! Feel free to PM me if you would prefer to discuss in private.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Forget about this being as strict as in university. The Thai intensive courses are not part of the university in fact. They are sort of like an extension without any university privileges. If you know what level you want to take and checked the times, just turn up whenever you want and they will put you in the class. Unless you need the papers for a study visa, things are very lax. No one will exclude you (and your tuition fees) for being late.

If you have no prior Thai experience, you start at level one (duh!) which is July 9th.

Be aware that the "breaks" between levels are not the same. The break after your level one is 12 days before level two. The next break is 9 days. The break after the November 30 ending day is one month and six days' holiday.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm sort of interested in the "level" of the material in this post. I can read most of the Thai. Most of my 'ah ha!' moments are when I see grammar that I haven't normally used.

Like the OP, I'm interested in getting to the proficiency of Pratom 6. But wondering if Payap is the answer.

• 4 months later...

Hello, i'm sorry for offtopic, but i think its best thread for ask it :)

Can i study Thai in the Payap, if i know only basic English ? or maybe you know good alternatives in this way.

I know UTL/RTL study Thai without English translate, but i not very want move to BKK

• 4 weeks later...

Hello, i'm sorry for offtopic, but i think its best thread for ask it smile.png

Can i study Thai in the Payap, if i know only basic English ? or maybe you know good alternatives in this way.

I know UTL/RTL study Thai without English translate, but i not very want move to BKK

They speak Thai in the classroom not English. I think you will be ok studying Thai at Payap. However, we also have Intensive English at Payap too.

Hi all, it's been several years since I regularly updated this forum, as I've been into other adventures in life. I hope to return to regularly studying Thai, and look forward to getting some of my progress posted here for others to learn from as well. I see many folks have posted corrections and additions, I can't thank you enough! Without your help, this thread wouldn't be half of what it is.

Cheers!

Lithobid

• Like 1

They speak Thai in the classroom not English. I think you will be ok studying Thai at Payap. However, we also have Intensive English at Payap too.

I dont know about another levels, but first level speak at simple English, it was ok for me

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

In my experience through all the levels there, they speak English to help you along. Even at the lowest level, they primarily speak Thai only to immerse you, but we all need some help from time to time, and they will translate for individuals when needed so that the class stays together.

• 9 months later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 1 year later...
Cheers Lithobid [emoji3]
Giving Directions (Part [emoji33]
In class I noted the unusual dictionary definition for เยื้องกับ, I think a better translation for common usage would be "up, down the street from". David I'm sure you have advise here? [emoji3]
ระหว่าง – Between
ติดกับ – Next to
ตรงข้ามกับ – Across from
ใก้ลกับ – Close to
ทางไป – On the way to
Example Sentences
โรงพยาบาลเมืองอยู่ใหน?
map.doc

Does not the Thai say: . . . 'and diagonally opposite the city hall'. . . (as opposed to 'down the street')? Bit of a difference if giving directions.

Sent from my SM-T385 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app