Motorbike Travel

Dear Forum,

A friend is thinking of coming out here, and then travelling around SE Asia on motor-bike.

He is thinking of buying my bike and then travelling around, but I remember I couldn't buy the bike in my name until I had been here 90 days and got a letter from Immigration. Does this still apply?

If he cannot buy the bike, can he cross the border and use the bike if I give him some kind of letter permitting him to ride my bike across the border? Would this letter have to be in Thai?

Or a letter from immigration?

Hope you are keeping well,

All the Best

Bill Z

Hi Bill,

I did this recently - gave a guy my bike, the Green Book and a letter of authority in Thai & English, the only thing we got caught up on (but quickly resolved) was that the letter, although unofficial needed official stamps bought at the post office to be stuck on them before he could clear Thai customs outbound.

For the best source of info go to www.gt-rider.com

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Pikey.

Bill, if you are wanting to lend your friend your bike to ride then a letter from you giving him permission to take the bike out of the country will be required. I would suggest your friend checks out the gt-rider website. It has all the information you need for travelling around SE Asia. For me riding is the best way of getting around this beautiful country. As long as you are in no rush to get anywhere then the roads are fine. Enjoy

Dear Forum,

A friend is thinking of coming out here, and then travelling around SE Asia on motor-bike.

He is thinking of buying my bike and then travelling around, but I remember I couldn't buy the bike in my name until I had been here 90 days and got a letter from Immigration. Does this still apply?

If he cannot buy the bike, can he cross the border and use the bike if I give him some kind of letter permitting him to ride my bike across the border? Would this letter have to be in Thai?

Or a letter from immigration?

All the Best

Bill Z

BillZ

Yep your mate needs permission from the registered owner of the bike to take it out of the country.

At the border he also needs to complete the following forms

Customs Temporary Export Permit

Immigration Notice of Conveyance

Immigration Crew List

Immigration Pax List

For more info go to GT Rider where you can also download the forms if you like.

Dear Pikey at al,

Thanks very much for the clear and helpful replies that answer all my questions. I definitely will not need to join the gt-rider forum and ask there!

Gt-rider is very useful and I have already forwarded the URL.

Thanks again.

All the Best

Bill Z

This time I have enabled email notification of replies!!!