Health Insurance On Koh Samui......

I been wondering for while now which of the many health insurance companys i should use when i soon live in Samui .Although i have had various quotes on prices and the actual cover they give,i am undecided on which company to use......I am not neccessarily looking for the cheapest,but the best value and all round cover,ranging from a bike accident scrape to an operation.Can any of the samui expats recommend a good company?....thanks in advance :o

Bupa has got far too many exclusions, also if you make a claim with them the premium rises the following year to cover it. When you look into the small print they are not good.

I am with a New Zealand company called surprisingly "NZI" which I joined through a brokers in Chang Mon called Ensure. They are a lot more expensive than BUPA but the way I look at it is if I am going to bother with insurance at all, then I want the best that wont let me down when I need it.

Its worth looking around at all of them before you choose.

HL :o

I just 2 days ago had a surgery at Bumrungrad hospital in Bangkok. Have BUPA since 1 1/2 years. The bill was 89.000 because I staid with my wife in a single room. First they said Iwas only one year insured and wouldn't cover, but after a phonecall from my wife (and me, myself and I, almost got a heardattack), the hospital made mistake and gave a wrong paper to us, and of course they cover 73.000. So we will stay with BUPA. What they cover is the basic treatment. If you want a lttle extra, up to you. For us very good service!!! :o

I just 2 days ago had a surgery at Bumrungrad hospital in Bangkok. Have BUPA since 1 1/2 years. The bill was 89.000 because I staid with my wife in a single room. First they said Iwas only one year insured and wouldn't cover, but after a phonecall from my wife (and me, myself and I, almost got a heardattack), the hospital made mistake and gave a wrong paper to us, and of course they cover 73.000. So we will stay with BUPA. What they cover is the basic treatment. If you want a lttle extra, up to you. For us very good service!!! :o

Glad to hear your problem resoved frankman,which BUPA cover is it you have?...is it the basic 18,000 bht a year cover that entitles you to upto 600,000 bht worth of treatment and which includes a hospital bed upto 5000 bht a day?...thanks

Hello Metacrowler, I have the emerald cover wiyhout ODP for 13000 for me alone. But next year we look at the same cover incl. ODP for me and wy wife for 27000 THB. Or even upgrade because we are not getting younger and we better have one and don't have to use it, then need one and don't have one. People living here without healthcare should have at least a lot of money, but I don't so better be covered. BUPA yes can recomend :o

Hey frankman

as I said in my earlier post ...just wait till next year when your BUPA premium will be raised because of your claim this year.

If they cant wriggle out of it with their exclusions then they claw it back later.

Still if you are happy with it then thats great but my experiences with them made me change to a company that seems to give a little consideration for its customers needs.

Although as I said before you do have to pay more for quality.

Hey happylarry, thanks for your advice. If they want too much next year I'm still free to change am I? I will go sraight to my broker and ask what the premium will be next year. The price they gave me before my claim was for the emerald cover for me and my wife 27.000 THB. Let us see if they still want that money, or because we claimed, if they want more. I'll keep you posted. Thanks for that! :o

I looked at bupa too, but the local policys have way too many exclusions for my liking. I bought a William Russell policy from Ensure, the guy there is farang and very helpful. Cost 2500 US dollars for both me and my girlfreind, but thats worldwide cover with no restrictions on travel periods and optional travel insurance too. I'm not waiting for an accident on the roads here to find out that 500 baht a day does not get you a nice hospital room.

Hey frankman

as I said in my earlier post ...just wait till next year when your BUPA premium will be raised because of your claim this year.

If they cant wriggle out of it with their exclusions then they claw it back later.

Still if you are happy with it then thats great but my experiences with them made me change to a company that seems to give a little consideration for its customers needs.

Although as I said before you do have to pay more for quality.

Never heard of this.

But if you don't make a claim during the year, you'll get 10% of your fee back.

I'm in my second year with Bupa... This year, I paid exactly the same amount as last year for my GF and I (premium, with out patient, and pregnancy inssurance), even tho I got several things covered last year, and the bills didn't come cheap ! (Samitivej Hospital on Sukhumvit, and BKK hospital in samui)

I would definetly recommand Bupa, never had a problem. Make sure you take the out patient option tho. Good hospitals in samui aren't cheap.

Hey Kevdulounge

Ok I accept after reading your post that they obviously dont raise premiums for every case....I am only speaking of my own experiences and also my neighbors, and I would certainly not recommend them to anybody.

Anyway this post is getting to be about BUPA too much and away from the original posters question, so I wont be posting any more derogatory comments about them. As i said to the guy it is worth looking at all of them before he makes up his mind. I'm sure you will agree with that mate.

I been wondering for while now which of the many health insurance companys i should use when i soon live in Samui .Although i have had various quotes on prices and the actual cover they give,i am undecided on which company to use......I am not neccessarily looking for the cheapest,but the best value and all round cover,ranging from a bike accident scrape to an operation.Can any of the samui expats recommend a good company?....thanks in advance :o

Please excuse me for repeating but :

This is simple, as a member you can use the full facilities of Thai Visa Insurance - a fully licensed Broker and able to offer quotations form all insurance companies - not just the individual insurance companies or insurance agents posters have mentioned.

Please go to :

http://insurance.thaivisa.com/quote-form