Help With English-thai Translation

popmybubble

Hi

Can anyone tell me how to write "when will I see you?"

เมื่อไรผมจะได้พบคุณอีก

mêua-rai pòm ja dai pop khun èek

which means "When will I be able to meet you again?"

when will i see u ? = ผม/ฉัน จะได้เจอคุณอีกเมื่อไร?

can you get a job in england? = คุณหางานทำในอังกฤษได้มั้ย?

Two questions:

1. Both of you inserted the word "อีก" into your response. Is it possible that the OP has never met the recipient of the note in person? Maybe he really means, "When will I see you (for the first time)?"

2. "ได้มั้ย?": The poster's question is not clear. Does he mean, "Once you are in England, do you have any skills that would allow you to find a job" or he might mean, "Can you get a visa to come to work in England?" Does "ได้มั้ย?" imply the first question or the second question?

Thanks.

Two questions:

1. Both of you inserted the word "อีก" into your response. Is it possible that the OP has never met the recipient of the note in person? Maybe he really means, "When will I see you (for the first time)?"

2. "ได้มั้ย?": The poster's question is not clear. Does he mean, "Once you are in England, do you have any skills that would allow you to find a job" or he might mean, "Can you get a visa to come to work in England?" Does "ได้มั้ย?" imply the first question or the second question?

Thanks.

well for the first question, you can figure the อีก out if it's for the first time.

and the second question, i just translated the text the poster gave. so i don't think it implies to any. cos ได้มั้ย? just means Can?

or you can say คุณสามารถหางานทำในประเทศอังกฤษได้มั้ย?

Thanks.

Let aside that my เมื่อไรผมจะได้พบคุณอีก sounds at least weired (if not wrong) and I should have used ผมจะได้พบคุณอีกเมื่อไร, but your point is a good one David. I haven't tought at the chance that the poster have never met that person, and if it's the case อีก is incorrect.

About this sentence I have also a question: which is the difference between พบ and เจอ? Are they interchangeable or not?

About the second question I had the same doubts ad David and haven't tried a translation because the question needs some more clarification

Thithi and Riga,

I am criticizing neither of you; in fact, I appreciate your efforts to try to answer the question with little information provided.

The fact is that with many of these questions, the OPs often forget that context is often necessary to get an accurate translation - not accuracy as to the quality of the language - but accuracy as to the appropriateness of the response to the real needs of the OP.

Thanks again.

No problem David I didn't feel criticized from your spot on observations.

I hope thithi or other members will clear my doubts about พบ and เจอ.

OT: reading at many of the posts on this and other forums I'm wondering how many years it will take before ไหม will be reported in dictionaries as "obsolete form of มั้ย" which seems to be used more and more often even in books

khun riga.. พบ เจอ both are the same. As we also use พบเจอ, ได้พบได้เจอ.

and the ไหม and มั้ย both are the same, but ไหม is a written language and มั้ย is a spoken language. you may find the มั้ย in some books but only in some conversation parts with the speech symbol- ex. "______มั้ย?" since i have never found the มั้ย without the speech symbol in books or if you found one please let me know :o

and Don't mension it, Khun David. I couldnt be any helps since i got stuck in explanation :S

Thank for replay! So this means they are more or less interchangeable and probably the fact that you choose one instead of the other is a question of "hear", which means that in some sentences one will "sound" better than the other, right?

ไหม and มั้ย both are the same, but ไหม is a written language and มั้ย is a spoken language. you may find the มั้ย in some books but only in some conversation parts with the speech symbol- ex. "______มั้ย?" since i have never found the มั้ย without the speech symbol in books or if you found one please let me know :o

For this I need some more time 'cos I can't remember where I saw that, but I don't think it was a sentence in "speech symbols".

There was also a site that provides thai lessons for foreigners which used the script มั้ย (now they changed the thai script, but mantained the phonetic transcription with the high tone, which can make sense in a certain way... you learn to write it correctly and to pronounce it in the most popular way)

So far thanks again

Thank for replay! So this means they are more or less interchangeable and probably the fact that you choose one instead of the other is a question of "hear", which means that in some sentences one will "sound" better than the other, right?

ไหม and มั้ย both are the same, but ไหม is a written language and มั้ย is a spoken language. you may find the มั้ย in some books but only in some conversation parts with the speech symbol- ex. "______มั้ย?" since i have never found the มั้ย without the speech symbol in books or if you found one please let me know :o

For this I need some more time 'cos I can't remember where I saw that, but I don't think it was a sentence in "speech symbols".

There was also a site that provides thai lessons for foreigners which used the script มั้ย (now they changed the thai script, but mantained the phonetic transcription with the high tone, which can make sense in a certain way... you learn to write it correctly and to pronounce it in the most popular way)

So far thanks again

yeh for the พบเจอ, they are interchangable and you can use both as well. For the มั้ย , although you didnt see it with the speech symbols. but you did find in the Thai lessons for foreigners. To make it easier to read and pronouce even it's not a proper Thai written languaage.

Edited by thithi

For the มั้ย , although you didnt see it with the speech symbols. but you did find in the Thai lessons for foreigners. To make it easier to read and pronouce even it's not a proper Thai written languaage.

That's exactly my point of view. It will be more correct (or less misleading) to write ไหม and to give a phonetic transcription mái.

But it would be nice if at least for such common word there will be in books the explenation of this particularity of the thai language (words that are written with a certain tone but mostly spoken with a diferent one).... Sure it is an hard task to write such a book :o