Carrefour Is Stealing Money

basjke

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel so sorry for you. Pathetic.

Move on.

this topic has nothing to do with the amount of money involved.Just tell me what would have happened if I had taken the same bananas and passed the check out counter without paying for them?

I feel so sorry for you. Pathetic.

Move on.

this topic has nothing to do with the amount of money involved.Just tell me what would have happened if I had taken the same bananas and passed the check out counter without paying for them?

The monkey would have been jealous? Silly human, free bananas are for monkeys.

Seriously, don't sweat the little stuff, save your energy for those true bend-over-and-grab-your-ankles experiences. You'll grow old fast worrying about things like this, and it sounds like the sort of genuine mistake that a low wage earning poorly educated lass would make, rather than the evil master plan of the corporate French super villian. What would be a positive outcome for you - getting someone sacked?

gem of a post.

slightly off topic, but dont be fooled by that lovely face and innocent look. at many shops including 711 and familymart those same lovely lasses will take your 1000 baht bill for a 25 baht purchase and return 475 change, pocketing the 500 baht difference. this happened to me at the family mart at soi lenkee on soi buakow, and routinely at various other places as well for smaller amounts. when i caught the error, its the deadpan, "oh i mistake" then she grudgingly gave the balance due. after the transaction, she just stood there with no expression on her face and stared at me as if to say "<deleted> do you want now"? it was quite impressive.

a "low wage earning poorly educated", yet smart and cunning lass would do well. 2 successes out of 10 tries makes for an excellent income with little risk for her, and drunken marks abound.

fortunately, i was sober and thought to count the change, which i ALWAYS do now before leaving the counter.

Today I went to carrefour pattaya for shopping and among the items I bought were some bananas wich were priced at 29 baht.At the check out however they charged 54 baht,which I noticed before the total was calculated and notified the cashier.After some discussion they agreed that they priced the item wrong and agreed to correct the price to 29 baht with which I was satisfied.Next a superior to the cashier made a recalled sales bill on which the bananas were charged 29 baht and I paid the grand total.While I was walking to the car I checked the bill again and noticed that instead of correcting the price on the bill they just added the 29 baht to the total.So at that time Carrefour was actually stealing 54 baht from me.I went back to the cashier who called that same superior again and they wanted to give me back 54 baht.However at that time I wasn't satisfied anymore with the practices and asked to speak with the manager.They lead me to the customer service where I spoke with another thai lady and who I aked to getthe item free this time but the only thing they offered was giving me back 54 baht.I told them that by charging me for an item I didn't buy (there were 2 times bananas on the bill ) they had stolen money from me.

They simply said it was a mistake and no further compensation would be made.

I agree the wrong pricing was a mistake but charging for an item which you don't buy is is a criminal offence.

I know this is all about peanuts but it is the principle that counts.

If I was to take an 54 baht item from carrefour without paying for it,carrefour would sure call the police which would result in a police report and probably a courtcase if I won't settle the case.If convicted,even for 54 baht,as a foreigner you will be deported from thailand after a few days in jail.

So that is why I ask your advice for the next steps to take as I take this offence serious because if you take something from carrefour you are in the wrong but they can do it without any consquences.

What happened, was they corrected the price of the bananas but then forgot to deduct what they had originally charged you for them.

Mistakes get made in the business of retail, sometimes in favour of the customer (undercharging), and sometimes not (overcharging).

I don't know about the rest of you, but I've been a recipient of both.

A mistake was made. When you notified them of the mistake, they gave you your money back. That is not stealing.

It's not stealing in Thailand, not in the US, not at the North Pole, not anywhere.

It's not stealing!

Got that?

Good, because my advice based on that is to drop this and forget about it.

If you can't do that, then simply don't shop there anymore if that'll help set your mind at ease.

But this is the most severe action you should take.

I'm with Masterfingers on this one. It was an honest mistake by some very confused shop staff. Perhaps you were fuming, which made them nervous.

I was in Fascino a few weeks ago where they had made an obvious error by charging me half for a certain item. Did I offer to pay the balance? No, it was a mistake in my favour.

I've caught mistakes many times in Carrefour and other supermarkets. It's common here. I've also been charged twice for an item that was ACCIDENTALLY scanned twice. Once I had got my refund I was happy and forgot about it.

Let it go. I really think you've lost the plot getting so worked up about such a small thing.

were the bananas green or yellow? i hate it when they r too green...cant eat em for days sometimes :o

seriously ...u know we r in the land of rip offs,scams etc so u should not be surprised......think more positively and everytime you dont get ripped off here be happy.this is pattaya ......ur a farang so bend over and take it like a man(or katoey)

my advice to you here is dont buy anything at all at anytime or even go out then no chance of being ripped off ...of course the downside to this would b death :D

to be honest im surprised u didnt check ur bill at the checkout......would have saved all the fuss...so really is your own fault old chap so the next step is for you to learn what sort of country/town u r living in or GO HOME. :D:D:D

ALWAYS check your receipt afterwards,

I went shopping in Big C in Central Festival and bought a 799 baht mouse along with a few other items. The girl at the check-out was in deep conversation on the telephone, scanned the mouse, put it to one side, scanned the rest of the items, then scanned the mouse AGAIN and rang up the total. I thought I had got it wrong and thought maybe it wouldn't scan the first time, so I paid up and checked my bill afterwards, and yes, 2 mouse on there.

I returned to the cashier and asked her why there were 2 mouse on my bill. She got very angry, having to end her phone call, emptied all my bags with a grin on her face thinking that I was wrong, realized she was wrong and then with a bad attitude removed the 2nd mouse from my bill and returned my 799 baht.

Im lucky I was watching her scan the items, or else I would never have checked my bill, and never have noticed I was 799 baht out of pocket!!!

Another time I was charged 90 baht per bottle of small M150 in Carrefour.. Can't remember what the actual price was but its only around 10 baht. Luckily got my money back no problem at all... Small amount of money but it adds up when you are purchasing 5-10 bottles!!

Always check your receipt!

I went shopping in Big C in Central Festival and bought a 799 baht mouse along with a few other items. The girl at the check-out was in deep conversation on the telephone, scanned the mouse, put it to one side, scanned the rest of the items, then scanned the mouse AGAIN and rang up the total. I thought I had got it wrong and thought maybe it wouldn't scan the first time, so I paid up and checked my bill afterwards, and yes, 2 mouse on there.

I returned to the cashier and asked her why there were 2 mouse on my bill. She got very angry, having to end her phone call, emptied all my bags with a grin on her face thinking that I was wrong, realized she was wrong and then with a bad attitude removed the 2nd mouse from my bill and returned my 799 baht.

Im lucky I was watching her scan the items, or else I would never have checked my bill, and never have noticed I was 799 baht out of pocket!!!

Another time I was charged 90 baht per bottle of small M150 in Carrefour.. Can't remember what the actual price was but its only around 10 baht. Luckily got my money back no problem at all... Small amount of money but it adds up when you are purchasing 5-10 bottles!!

WOW didnt know they were selling mice in big c and that they were scannable......i seen a few running about there but didnt know u could buy them(seem quite expensive though,think threppasit market cheaper). :o

theres nothing like service with a smile here.......load of boolox.actually i think u were the one out of order making her finish her phonecall ,she probably had loads more to say and stupid falang make mistake!!!.......how many times did she say sorry??? :D

This was a no-brainer. Even in a deep sleep most people would realize something is wrong when you overcharged 800 baht.

The OP was overcharged 29 baht. Most people would not have noticed this mistake.

This was a no-brainer. Even in a deep sleep most people would realize something is wrong when you overcharged 800 baht.

The OP was overcharged 29 baht. Most people would not have noticed this mistake.

Here we go again, Mr "Know it all" .... Without calculating it up in my head, its hard to notice when you are spending several thousand baht (I don't count my pennies when I go shopping :o ) . Note that this all happened so quickly and I was actually concentrating on the mouse being held to one side, and her on the telephone, not the total amount. I didn't want to kick up a fuss until I had confirmed her error by checking the receipt..

Yawn.

Edited by Meg_ken2003

Mobile Telephones should be banned for checkout staff anyway, I use to work in tesco UK, no way were telephones allowed on staff while working, they had to be locked in the locker.

No, It was actually the phone next to the till. I don't know who she was talking to, but I can understand Thai and her conversation was definitely not work related and was the usual "What are you doing, Have you eaten yet", giggling ect.

Correction : I was not overcharged 29 baht.I was charged 54 baht for an item I did not purchase after I already had corrected the previous overcharging.

Correction : I was not overcharged 29 baht.I was charged 54 baht for an item I did not purchase after I already had corrected the previous overcharging.

And Im the one who gets called a no-brainer :o Duh!

P.s This is not directed at you, basjke.

I disagree with mr troopo on this one, its not the money its the principal - oops i mean Mr Tropo. sorry about that lol. Shop somewhere else in future Basjke, and keep your eye on them in future so it wont happen again.

'Principle' - or even 'principal' :o - and 'Thailand' are not often seen in the same sentence. :D

Dude, take this advice in the spirit intended. Go home. If you get this excited about 58 baht the hassles of evrey day life in Falangalwayswrongland will kill you.

Dude,I don't get excited about the 54 baht I get excited about the fact that our " hosts " can do it without shame.Either for 54 baht or for 900 baht.

I remember many years ago I witnessed at modern city on beach road the event of a farang who had " forgotten " to pay for a chocolat bar.I guess it was even not worth 54 baht.

What happened was a scene same as if he had robbed the local bank,everybody pointing at him and talking about his unforgivable crime.And ofcourse the police was called in.

But when the supermarket makes the same offence we have to accept it or go back home.

You don't own a supermarket do you?

Here we go again, Mr "Know it all" .... Without calculating it up in my head, its hard to notice when you are spending several thousand baht (I don't count my pennies when I go shopping :o ) . Note that this all happened so quickly and I was actually concentrating on the mouse being held to one side, and her on the telephone, not the total amount. I didn't want to kick up a fuss until I had confirmed her error by checking the receipt..

Yawn.

Hahaha! I was waiting for that.

When I go shopping I don't count my pennies but I definitely count my thousands of baht. As I said, you'd have to be comatose to miss being overcharged by 800 baht.

I can just imagine you kicking up quite a fuss - it kinda goes with your personality.

Today I went to carrefour pattaya for shopping and among the items I bought were some bananas wich were priced at 29 baht.At the check out however they charged 54 baht,which I noticed before the total was calculated and notified the cashier.After some discussion they agreed that they priced the item wrong and agreed to correct the price to 29 baht with which I was satisfied.Next a superior to the cashier made a recalled sales bill on which the bananas were charged 29 baht and I paid the grand total.While I was walking to the car I checked the bill again and noticed that instead of correcting the price on the bill they just added the 29 baht to the total.So at that time Carrefour was actually stealing 54 baht from me.I went back to the cashier who called that same superior again and they wanted to give me back 54 baht.However at that time I wasn't satisfied anymore with the practices and asked to speak with the manager.They lead me to the customer service where I spoke with another thai lady and who I aked to getthe item free this time but the only thing they offered was giving me back 54 baht.I told them that by charging me for an item I didn't buy (there were 2 times bananas on the bill ) they had stolen money from me.

They were right. They made a mistake which they offered to correct. You refused to allow them to. They 'stole' nothing from you and you are not entitled to any compensation at all.

They were right. They made a mistake which they offered to correct. You refused to allow them to. They 'stole' nothing from you and you are not entitled to any compensation at all.

Read again befor you comment.They corrected a mistake with another mistake.How many mistakes are needed before it is considered no mistake anymore?

Read again befor you comment.They corrected a mistake with another mistake.How many mistakes are needed before it is considered no mistake anymore?

They offered to correct their second mistake. You refused to allow them to. You appear to want to pick a fight for the sake of picking a fight.

You actually think that Carrefour was out to steal from you? Who was going to pocket the windfall? The checkout girl? The manager?

This is absolute nonsense. You're dealing with nothing more than the incompetance of inexperienced staff. It's also likely you compounded the problem by making all the staff nervous with your behaviour.

Carrefour and Villa are supermarkets where I usually check my bill closely because of mistakes they make due to incompetance.

You're lucky you're not living in the US. Such a statement as "Carrefour is Stealing Money" could be considered libelous and you could have been sued. It's a pretty serious damnation over 54 baht that was returned to you, don't you think?

You're an embarrassment to Farang living in Pattaya.

Well, as a complainer here of ill repute, I would have been satisfied with the correction of an error. If I went there alot and there were alot of errors, I would consider shopping elsewhere. With due respect to the OP, it just ain't worth it.
Yes, The Grand Exultant of Incessant Complainers,

but you got it right I this one, :o

Edited by cobra

Well I dont think he is an embarrassment to Farang living in Pattaya, Mr Troopo. We all have different views on this, and if he wants to share his bad experience on the forums (to warn others) then good on him. Its people like the person who startd this thread that reminds us to be more vigilant, and make it a little easier living in Thailand.