Carrefour Is Stealing Money

basjke

Today I went to carrefour pattaya for shopping and among the items I bought were some bananas wich were priced at 29 baht.At the check out however they charged 54 baht,which I noticed before the total was calculated and notified the cashier.After some discussion they agreed that they priced the item wrong and agreed to correct the price to 29 baht with which I was satisfied.Next a superior to the cashier made a recalled sales bill on which the bananas were charged 29 baht and I paid the grand total.While I was walking to the car I checked the bill again and noticed that instead of correcting the price on the bill they just added the 29 baht to the total.So at that time Carrefour was actually stealing 54 baht from me.I went back to the cashier who called that same superior again and they wanted to give me back 54 baht.However at that time I wasn't satisfied anymore with the practices and asked to speak with the manager.They lead me to the customer service where I spoke with another thai lady and who I aked to getthe item free this time but the only thing they offered was giving me back 54 baht.I told them that by charging me for an item I didn't buy (there were 2 times bananas on the bill ) they had stolen money from me.

They simply said it was a mistake and no further compensation would be made.

I agree the wrong pricing was a mistake but charging for an item which you don't buy is is a criminal offence.

I know this is all about peanuts but it is the principle that counts.

If I was to take an 54 baht item from carrefour without paying for it,carrefour would sure call the police which would result in a police report and probably a courtcase if I won't settle the case.If convicted,even for 54 baht,as a foreigner you will be deported from thailand after a few days in jail.

So that is why I ask your advice for the next steps to take as I take this offence serious because if you take something from carrefour you are in the wrong but they can do it without any consquences.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Today I went to carrefour pattaya for shopping and among the items I bought were some bananas wich were priced at 29 baht.At the check out however they charged 54 baht,which I noticed before the total was calculated and notified the cashier.After some discussion they agreed that they priced the item wrong and agreed to correct the price to 29 baht with which I was satisfied.Next a superior to the cashier made a recalled sales bill on which the bananas were charged 29 baht and I paid the grand total.While I was walking to the car I checked the bill again and noticed that instead of correcting the price on the bill they just added the 29 baht to the total.So at that time Carrefour was actually stealing 54 baht from me.I went back to the cashier who called that same superior again and they wanted to give me back 54 baht.However at that time I wasn't satisfied anymore with the practices and asked to speak with the manager.They lead me to the customer service where I spoke with another thai lady and who I aked to getthe item free this time but the only thing they offered was giving me back 54 baht.I told them that by charging me for an item I didn't buy (there were 2 times bananas on the bill ) they had stolen money from me.

I agree the wrong pricing was a mistake but charging for an item which you don't buy is is a criminal offence.

If I was to take an 54 baht item from carrefour without paying for it,carrefour would sure call the police which would result in a police report and probably a courtcase if I won't settle the case.If convicted,even for 54 baht,as a foreigner you will be deported from thailand after a few days in jail.

So that is why I ask your advice for the next steps to take as I take this offence serious because if you take something from carrefour you are in the wrong but they can do it without any consquences.

I doubt very much whether they would actually call the police over such a small amount. But I agree with you about being over-charged.

The same sort of thing has happend to me on a few occasions - and still find it hard to believe that such a big, international company with years of experience in basic retail practices can make such a simple mistake.

One of the oldest tricks in the book is all I'll add!

So that is why I ask your advice for the next steps to take

That would depend on whether I had beers in the fridge or not.

Seriously, don't sweat the little stuff, save your energy for those true bend-over-and-grab-your-ankles experiences. You'll grow old fast worrying about things like this, and it sounds like the sort of genuine mistake that a low wage earning poorly educated lass would make, rather than the evil master plan of the corporate French super villian. What would be a positive outcome for you - getting someone sacked?

I doubt very much whether they would actually call the police over such a small amount. But I agree with you about being over-charged.

The same sort of thing has happend to me on a few occasions - and still find it hard to believe that such a big, international company with years of experience in basic retail practices can make such a simple mistake.

One of the oldest tricks in the book is all I'll add!

Sorry I wasn't OVERCHARGED I was charged for an item I had not bought.A big difference in my opinion.

I think that this shop is a load of rubbish, I went to purchase a Washing Machine a few months back, i chose the one i wanted, but not in stock, so i chose another, not in stock, i chose another and again sorry not in stock - the guy then offered me a badly dinted one from the back of the warehouse for the same price as new, i went to Big C and eventualy got the one I wanted.

I bought a rice cooker from carrefour, got it home and it was dinted. I bought a large floor fan, got it home and opened the box to find a multicolord mixture of Fan parts.... its a joke, it really is - Basjke I am on your side, just dont go again, there are other supermarkets better than carrefour.

I think that this shop is a load of rubbish, I went to purchase a Washing Machine a few months back, i chose the one i wanted, but not in stock, so i chose another, not in stock, i chose another and again sorry not in stock - the guy then offered me a badly dinted one from the back of the warehouse for the same price as new, i went to Big C and eventualy got the one I wanted.

I bought a rice cooker from carrefour, got it home and it was dinted. I bought a large floor fan, got it home and opened the box to find a multicolord mixture of Fan parts.... its a joke, it really is - Basjke I am on your side, just dont go again, there are other supermarkets better than carrefour.

Yes - exactly the same thing happened to me before. I wanted one of the cheapest, best value for money machines on sale but despite my enthusiasm for buying the thing - it eventually transpirred that it wasn't for sale after all - and was only being promoted as a ruse to get punters interested in the more expensive appliances being offered next to it.

What happened, was they corrected the price of the bananas but then forgot to deduct what they had originally charged you for them.

Mistakes get made in the business of retail, sometimes in favour of the customer (undercharging), and sometimes not (overcharging).

I don't know about the rest of you, but I've been a recipient of both.

A mistake was made. When you notified them of the mistake, they gave you your money back. That is not stealing.

It's not stealing in Thailand, not in the US, not at the North Pole, not anywhere.

It's not stealing!

Got that?

Good, because my advice based on that is to drop this and forget about it.

If you can't do that, then simply don't shop there anymore if that'll help set your mind at ease.

But this is the most severe action you should take.

Edited by MisterFingers

You're a guest in this country. Act like it.

I'm confused, did you mean for him to act like a guest at a wolves dinner? As he is a guest, one would think the host would be gracious and take care of him while in their country. It's not too far-fetched to think that the hosts would want their guest to come away from the table with a warm feeling, not the feeling that they are a sheep sitting in the middle of the table while the wolves (hosts) sharpen their knives.

Maybe someone here needs to learn some manners.

A mistake was made. When you notified them of the mistake, they gave you your money back. That is not stealing.

It's not stealing in Thailand, not in the US, not at the North Pole, not anywhere.

It's not stealing!

What if he hadn't noticed it? Would that then be stealing or not?

What if I remove your wallet from your pocket, taked out a couple of thousand Baht, and replace the wallet and you don't notice?

Not stealing by your own judgement, case closed m'lud.

I'm confused, did you mean for him to act like a guest at a wolves dinner? As he is a guest, one would think the host would be gracious and take care of him while in their country. It's not too far-fetched to think that the hosts would want their guest to come away from the table with a warm feeling, not the feeling that they are a sheep sitting in the middle of the table while the wolves (hosts) sharpen their knives.

Maybe someone here needs to learn some manners.

You're off to a good start in your TV posting career. :o

How do you act like a guest when someone has charged you for something you didn’t perches?

Thank you very much for taking me for a sucker with a big Grin?

Edited by RakJungTorlae

Well, as a complainer here of ill repute, I would have been satisfied with the correction of an error. If I went there alot and there were alot of errors, I would consider shopping elsewhere. With due respect to the OP, it just ain't worth it.

Still not stealing. A mistake that didn't get caught. Not a deliberate act of stealing.

What if I remove your wallet from your pocket, taked out a couple of thousand Baht, and replace the wallet and you don't notice?

This is a deliberate act of stealing. i.e., Your intention is to steal. Criminal intent and a criminal act.

My judgement, and the judgment of the police, lawmakers, governments, and the general public of Thailand, Cambodia, Canada, the US, the Netherlands, England, France, every single country in the world with no exception.

Calculation errors get made every minute, maybe even every second in the world. It's what happens when the mistake is caught that determines whether or not it's stealing.

Imagine your wife/daughter/son called you from the police station saying they were charged with theft for ringing up the wrong total.

I'm sorry, but this argument is just ridiculous.

Well, as a complainer here of ill repute, I would have been satisfied with the correction of an error. If I went there alot and there were alot of errors, I would consider shopping elsewhere. With due respect to the OP, it just ain't worth it.

Agree.......Carrefour (the cashier) made a mistake, but luckily you discovered and got your money back.............Just move on :o

Unbelieveable...get a life pal....54baht....

Yep a mistake was made and then corrected...move on

If that is all you ever get ripped off for in Thailand you will be doing very well.....

Much more important things to worry about.....

Still not stealing. A mistake that didn't get caught. Not a deliberate act of stealing.

This is a deliberate act of stealing. i.e., Your intention is to steal. Criminal intent and a criminal act.

My judgement, and the judgment of the police, lawmakers, governments, and the general public of Thailand, Cambodia, Canada, the US, the Netherlands, England, France, every single country in the world with no exception.

Calculation errors get made every minute, maybe even every second in the world. It's what happens when the mistake is caught that determines whether or not it's stealing.

Imagine your wife/daughter/son called you from the police station saying they were charged with theft for ringing up the wrong total.

I'm sorry, but this argument is just ridiculous.

Over the initial mistake I'd agree with 100%, hel_l the only person who never makes a mistake in life is the one that never does anything. Even then it could be argued they made a mistake being born and wasting a life but we digress.

The checkout girl made a mistake, it happens all the time the world over, and maybe she is, as assumed by another poster, a poor uneducated country girl.

No problem so far.

Then her supervisor, presumably older and more experienced, is called over to correct the mistake. Now normally if a mistake is made the person who corrects it normally checks and double checks what is done to ensure that everything is correct for all party's account.

But somehow she didn't.

Smacks of "bluddy kee neow farang causing me to lose face over 25 Baht (54 - 29) I'll teach him a lesson" or similar. Maybe not, maybe the supervisor is also a poor uneducated farm girl which says a lot about the recruiting practices of Carrefour "never mind the qualifications hire the cheapest ones".

To answer the other question "Would I have fessed up if undercharged?"

A good question the answer being I would most probably not have noticed whether it was under or overcharged as I very seldom check the receipt at shops, restaurants, bars etc unless it is a significant puchase or significantly more than I was expecting.

a simple mistake,anyone can make them. i suggest you get out more enjoy life.

This is the most stupid reply I ever seen....<snip>

You must be new to Thai Visa. In fact you must be new to the internet. No, wait, I got it! You must be very young and sheltered.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Carrefour have a store olicy of if the price is incorrect on the bill you get the item for free.

It's posted on the wall at the Customer Service Point in English and Thai.

It's true. Once a bought a toy for my son, which was marked up at 259 Baht and at the checkout they rang up 295. I pointed this out, only expecting to pay the correct price. However, once the roller blade service lady had checked and confirmed that what I was saying was correct, she insisted that I have the item for free (even though I pointed out that I was perfectly willing to pay the proper price).

Over the initial mistake I'd agree with 100%, hel_l the only person who never makes a mistake in life is the one that never does anything. Even then it could be argued they made a mistake being born and wasting a life but we digress.

The checkout girl made a mistake, it happens all the time the world over, and maybe she is, as assumed by another poster, a poor uneducated country girl.

No problem so far.

Then her supervisor, presumably older and more experienced, is called over to correct the mistake. Now normally if a mistake is made the person who corrects it normally checks and double checks what is done to ensure that everything is correct for all party's account.

But somehow she didn't.

Smacks of "bluddy kee neow farang causing me to lose face over 25 Baht (54 - 29) I'll teach him a lesson" or similar. Maybe not, maybe the supervisor is also a poor uneducated farm girl which says a lot about the recruiting practices of Carrefour "never mind the qualifications hire the cheapest ones".

To answer the other question "Would I have fessed up if undercharged?"

A good question the answer being I would most probably not have noticed whether it was under or overcharged as I very seldom check the receipt at shops, restaurants, bars etc unless it is a significant puchase or significantly more than I was expecting.

What you are saying is what I was thinking Phil.In the correction procces were 6 people involved.The cashier,supervisor and 3 employees from the vegetable and fruit section.All of them argumented that I was in the wrong because I had to know that the item was priced wrong.For me the case was closed when they admitted that the fault was theirs.

But don't tell me that a cashier and a supervisor togetether who correct a bill don't know how to do it.