Extension Of Stay Question

Hello. A brief history - My wife and I were married in the US about 5 years ago (I'm an American citzen, she is Thai). I've been in Thailand for the past 13-14 months on a Non Imm O and I'm trying to decide if I'll qualify for an Extension of Stay given our current situation.

Now onto the question -

My wife's ID card and house registration still list her as Single and living with her parents (We live with them and help take care of them). Neither of those list anything about me. We have not had them changed since we came back to Thailand and she even renewed her ID card recently and kept it as "Single" with her maiden name. Based on our current situation, having her change her status on either of those would not be possible (Related to her work). So, the question is, would an Extension of Stay application automatically be denied given the current state of her ID card and house registration? Basically, would they require it to be changed to "Married" on her ID card and list me in the house registration as well, or could we get by with the way it is now (at least for the first year)?

Thanks for any help.

Hello. A brief history - My wife and I were married in the US about 5 years ago (I'm an American citzen, she is Thai). I've been in Thailand for the past 13-14 months on a Non Imm O and I'm trying to decide if I'll qualify for an Extension of Stay given our current situation.

Now onto the question -

My wife's ID card and house registration still list her as Single and living with her parents (We live with them and help take care of them). Neither of those list anything about me. We have not had them changed since we came back to Thailand and she even renewed her ID card recently and kept it as "Single" with her maiden name. Based on our current situation, having her change her status on either of those would not be possible (Related to her work). So, the question is, would an Extension of Stay application automatically be denied given the current state of her ID card and house registration? Basically, would they require it to be changed to "Married" on her ID card and list me in the house registration as well, or could we get by with the way it is now (at least for the first year)?

Thanks for any help.

If you are married you qualify providing you meet the income requirements. Don't worry

Edited by Lite Beer

If you are married you qualify providing you meet the income requirements. Don't worry

Agreed.

The marriage cert is the important thing, the others are minor and your wife should be able to

sort them out at the local Amphur office.

As long as you can show a combined income to 40K a month you will get the one year extension.

Thanks, guys. That's definitely good news.

Has anyone had their overseas income verified through the US Embassy lately? I'm planning on calling them in a couple days, but figured I'd ask anyways. Just wondering what paperwork they require, if it was only a letter from your employer or something else as well.

There is no requirement for paperwork at the Embassy - make an online appointment and present on-line appointment form, tell them what you need, fill out form and pay notary fee, return paper unsigned/passport/receipt and await being called. Should take only 10-15 minutes.

You should have supporting paperwork of some kind in the event Immigration asks for them but normally it is not asked and any legal type document paperwork should be OK if it is in agreement with your letter.

Although there is recent law change allowing women to keep 'miss' I would not be surprised to have that come up as an item of contention during Immigration processing. That ID card/home register is going to be looked at closely. You do not have to be on the home register, only her.

Agreed.

The marriage cert is the important thing, the others are minor and your wife should be able to

sort them out at the local Amphur office.

As long as you can show a combined income to 40K a month you will get the one year extension.

I am living in Thailand with my wife and daughters since 1 year on a multiple entry non-O immigrant visa.

But I cannot get the extension because I work abroad on a 6 weeks on 6 weeks off schedule.

Immigration in Jomtien says I am more than enough abroad to get a new visa from an embassy abroad.

So I got my second visa 2 weeks ago but I would prefer to get an extension because it is very dificult to get a visa for me because I am working offshore and can't get to an embassy during my working period.

Am not sure what this has to do with the OP situation but in your case a marriage extension of stay can not be made because it requires two trips, one month apart. You would not be able to do that. If you had the extension you would also require multi re-entry permit so cost is about the same as what you have. The multi entry visa will last you about 13 months before you have to get a new one and it is only an overnight process once a year.

Thanks, lopburi3.

I was reading an old post and just wanted to make sure it was still accurate - Our US marriage certificate needs to first be certified at the US embassy then taken to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs for translation and additional certification, and finally certified again at the local amphur?

The Thai Foreign Ministry, consular section doesn't do the translation itself. They only legalize the translation. You have to get the translation done yourself and present it to them. The American embassy website has a list of translation services.

"...in your case a marriage extension of stay can not be made because it requires two trips, one month apart."

I believe he said he's here six weeks at a time. It sounds like he could do it if he applies as soon as he gets

in-country.

Based on our current situation, having her change her status on either of those would not be possible (Related to her work).

You have peeked my interest, what type of job would prohibit her from declaring that she is married or change her name?

Nothing nefarious intended, just genuinely curious.

Edited by CWMcMurray