Toyota Yaris

JOHN2

Sorry if this has ben done before but i am seriously considering buying one very soon as my family is soon to have a new addition, so high time i bought a car.

1) Do you think it's a good buy? I hear people say buy Toyotas or Hondas here,i do like the style and it's reasonably priced (for Thailand anyway) at around 650k

2) I believe they only come in diesel format,does anyone know if that's correct?

3)Generally speaking is it better to go the extra yard or two and buy a brand new car or buy a second hand one that is one or two years old and save around 100-150k?

Really appreciate any input

JOHN2

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry if this has ben done before but i am seriously considering buying one very soon as my family is soon to have a new addition, so high time i bought a car.

1) Do you think it's a good buy? I hear people say buy Toyotas or Hondas here,i do like the style and it's reasonably priced (for Thailand anyway) at around 650k

2) I believe they only come in diesel format,does anyone know if that's correct?

3)Generally speaking is it better to go the extra yard or two and buy a brand new car or buy a second hand one that is one or two years old and save around 100-150k?

JOHN2

I recently rented one and I'd say its a good city car, but not a great highway car. It seemed well put together for the price. One quibble I had was that visibility out the back wasn't too great. I personally didn't like the styling, but that's a personal taste matter. I can see that it looks like a modern car.

It was a petrol (gasoline) version I had.

Normally buying nearly new second hand is a no-brainer, but in Thailand depreciation is bizarrely low and you need to counter any saving with the cost of a couple of years of warranty lost, that you may get a year's free insurance and possibly cheap finance as well.

Congratulations on your new addition John. If you're in the market for a new car I suggest that you buy something bigger. I have two kids now, but I remember with just one the amount of stuff that you end up dragging around with you soon fills up a car (baby seat, pram, bags of baby things) maybe a nanny too (not to mention a mother in law from time to time!). Get a bigger car.

i drive my yaris daily in samui traffic and also drive it to penang on visa runs. i love this car. after having put many 100's of 1000's of miles on vehicles around the world i can say that the yaris is one of my personal favorites. i really only have two complaints, first, you really have to adjust the seat properly for your blind spots which are so important driving around a place like samui, and second, i got an automatic (company car so not my choice) whereas in this kind of traffic and on a small island like this i much prefer manual shifting because if you want to overtake someone you basically have to punch it and doing that many times every day can't be good for the motor.

the previous comment about the yaris on the highway i totally disagree with. each of my passengers has commented on how smooth and stable the car feels while driving at highway speed (120-140+). this car is solid as a rock.

I bought Mrs B one six months ago. It's a great little car. I'm not sure it's suitable as the sole family car; I bought it for her as a city run-around. However, she also uses it on runs out to the burbs to visit friends and it feels pretty good on the highways (and I'm used to driving a Camry).

I think the OP is misinformed re diesel. I'm not sure they have a diesel model; I think they are all petrol engines.

Congratulations on your new addition John. If you're in the market for a new car I suggest that you buy something bigger. I have two kids now, but I remember with just one the amount of stuff that you end up dragging around with you soon fills up a car (baby seat, pram, bags of baby things) maybe a nanny too (not to mention a mother in law from time to time!). Get a bigger car.

I know where you're coming from Mick,but i think just having a toddler it is ok,if you had 2 kids then a Yaris would not be a good idea and who cares if the outlaws are crushed in the back :o

Also the Mrs doesn't like big motors and she'll be the one driving.

Bendix - they're petrol? Ok cheers.

Edited by JOHN2

Correct Bendix, no diesel models available, only petrol.

Only problem you may have is limited boot space, my mate that rented one said he couldn't get a set of golf clubs in the back.

Some models do have split fold down rear seats but if you're carrying a baby you really want to have someone in the rear with it AND wouldn't want loose shoppping etc. rolling around with baby.

What about a Vios? They're cheaper and you have the bigger boot.

Correct Bendix, no diesel models available, only petrol.

Only problem you may have is limited boot space, my mate that rented one said he couldn't get a set of golf clubs in the back.

Some models do have split fold down rear seats but if you're carrying a baby you really want to have someone in the rear with it AND wouldn't want loose shoppping etc. rolling around with baby.

What about a Vios? They're cheaper and you have the bigger boot.

Good shout on the Vios they look ok,not really that much cheaper mind.

i drive both the vios and yaris on a daily basis (company cars). the vios has much more trunk space but the same amount of interior space. people that i've had riding in the back of the yaris are amazed at the amount of space but there is no way you can get a set of golf clubs in the yaris.

after driving each of these two cars on a daily basis for the last 6 months i have a significant yaris bias, the vios is a piece of junk.

It depends where you live! I bought a new yaris and after 3 months I got rid of it for a number of reasons, underpowered, low freeboard (in the wet season I couldnt go anywhere due to flooded roads) and that instrument panel in the centre of the dashboard drove me crazy! I also felt intimidated as the car was so small also the after sales service of the Toyota Dealer I bought it from was one of complete disintrest. I have now abandoned any idea of buying a Toyota from that dealership ever again. A friend wanted a written quote for a commuter bus and they wanted 5000 baht for the quote!! enough said .

JOHN2

i think you will find they only make petrol.

If you go for the Yaris, get the model with the fold-down and split back seat as someone else suggested. We went for the top of the range model, including push button start and locks etc, as well as the split rear seats. Very convenient considering the lack of boot space.

Actually, i take back my comments on lack of space. I was surprised at how much interior room they have. I'm six foot four and while I wouldnt want to sit in the passenger seat in a drive to Ubon Ratchatani, it's fine for short hops.

Edited by bendix

interesting coincidence here, i just finished taking a farang couple and their daughter to view some homes here on samui and as soon as they got into the backseat of the Yaris they immediately commented on how much room their was inside. the female half of the couple was about 5 or 6 months pregnant and had no trouble whatsoever getting into or out of the back seat.

If you go for the Yaris, get the model with the fold-down and split back seat as someone else suggested. We went for the top of the range model, including push button start and locks etc, as well as the split rear seats. Very convenient considering the lack of boot space.

Actually, i take back my comments on lack of space. I was surprised at how much interior room they have. I'm six foot four and while I wouldnt want to sit in the passenger seat in a drive to Ubon Ratchatani, it's fine for short hops.

I agree with you Bendix it is a great car, I bought my wife the car because it is perfect for having a baby to haul around. The top model has the push button start and touch lock/unlock feature. If your misses is alone carrying the baby she will appreciate not having to dig for keys to open the 5 doors and start the car. My wife loves hers, we ordered the top model but had the sport package trim added to it,I also added 17" tires so it looks great. The only dumb thing Toyota did IMHO was not put rear discs on the top model even though it is standard on the cheaper sport model.

Edited by Sakeopete

Erh I had a diesel Yaris for about 2 hours once. In Dec 06 I hired a Yaris from Pattaya and set off to the wife's village in Kabin buri countryside. Out in the middle of nowhere I decided to refuel at a garage with only one pump on forecourt. Told the lady to fill up the car and off I went to buy some water, On return there was a large lorry parked next to us at the pump, my sensors tweaked, I looked at the blurb on the filler cap and had a good sniff, 29 litres of diesel had been put in!.

Anyway with the help of a young lad and some tools I managed to empty out the diesel and gave it to him and I then filled up with petrol, from one of those 45 gallon drums on a wheely trolley that had been parked at the rear of the forecourt.

I have since learned the Thai word for diesel and now always check when filling up at remote places. That garage is only 20 km's from the wife's village and we both laugh when we pass by.

The top model is the 'S limited' not the cheaper 'G limited' with the push button start. The S limited comes with sports suspension, better head lights and disc breaks on the front and rear.

I stand corrected, when we bought ours 2 years ago there was no "S" limited only the "S" which was less expensive but had no leather or push button so we bought the "G" Limited.

That must be the stupidest thing I have ever hear, "The honda looks like something my grandma would be driving".

Well I guess that your grandma has a bigger brain than you...

Go to Toyota and look at the Yaris... Picture stuff for the kid in the back there... Good LUCK...

Go to Honda and look at the Jazz, now compare what you could put in the back there...

I had a yaris, then the new jazz came and I just had to have one... Much more space...

Say hello to your grandma and tell her that she is a wonderful woman but her grandchild is a moron...

You will buy a car for the baby yes??? YOU NEED SPACE, not looks...

Ps. for the record... The yaris is a brilliant car but the Jazz is so much better... You could also look at the nissan if you do not care about burning money...

Those Bangkok Post reviews: "And considering that the previous generation Jazz and City were already better than the current Yaris and Vios in terms of product substance, Toyota is likely to feel some the real heat this time."

Sure thing, guys, Honda City was always better, but I guess customers are all morons and so they bought five times more Vioses than Cities. The last sentence in that Jazz review - if it's fun and driving agility that you are after, this is it (Yaris).

As for space - "While the Jazz seems to be able to carry the musical instruments of a rock band with its flexibly configurable cargo area, the ability of the Yaris to carry a washing machine with the rear seats down is good enough for most couples."

All in all, I just don't see any substance to "so much better" opinions. Let people choose their Yarises in peace, they won't be disappointed, no matter how much you love your Jazz.

I agree, the Yaris is a brilliant little car, but if you buy a car because you are expecting a little one you do need to think about space too... Yes the yaris is large when you put the seats down... But where do you stash the wife, or kid when they are down...

I am just saying that the Jazz might be a better option because you can have more baby stuff with you when you go out...

As I said, think of what you need, if you buy it for the baby...

If you just want a Yaris, go for it, nice cars but not as good as the Jazz (I have had both, my Yaris for one year, my jazz for almost 2 months)

But again, buy what you like, buy what YOU like... but don't tell me I did not warn you.

Sure thing, guys, Honda City was always better, but I guess customers are all morons and so they bought five times more Vioses than Cities.

Have you heard of the saying "the customer is always right"?

Well no matter how moronic you think the general public to be, they chose the Vios over the City.

And do you know why? Comes down to buyer appeal. The City might be a great product, but it's always been an ugly little thing, and now it's an ugly dated thing.

The previous Vios model caught the public's imagination with its styling, and the new one, though not quite as bold or exciting, is mature and handsome and sells well too.

I would say Honda has some catching up to do.

In the U.S. the Vios is sold as a Yaris, and the Yaris here in Thailand is a 'Yaris (3 door) Hatchback' over there.

We tried the Honda Jazz but it did not have the horsepower to safely get onto a highway when the cars were zipping by, whereas the Vios (and Yaris) have much more pep and therefore, in my opinion, are a little safer when trying to mix with flowing traffic.

We also tried the Honda City, but in the end we chose the Toyota Vios mostly for it's new styling and comfort. Plus we did get a year's free auto insurance and so forth (... 10 extras: floor mats, tinted windows, etc., etc.).

Shop around and you'll find some dealer who will offer free insurance for the first year.

We enjoy the Vios. It's easy to drive and stylish; and pretty good on petrol.

Also, if you are ever thinking of reselling, buy either silver or black ... they sell faster and will fetch more than the other colors. We got the new pale blue as we liked it and it seems that way too many vehicles on the road are silver or black. We are quite happy with it. Also for resale think top model, but not necessarily the 'limited.'

We tried the Honda Jazz but it did not have the horsepower to safely get onto a highway when the cars were zipping by, whereas the Vios (and Yaris) have much more pep and therefore, in my opinion, are a little safer when trying to mix with flowing traffic.

Which Honda jazz did you drive? The new jazz has 120HP compared to the vios/yaris (109HP)? I find it hard to believe a vios/yaris auto could out accelerate a new vtec jazz. The previous model jazz also had a better 0-100 time (when autos are compared). The manual vios was a different story...

That must be the stupidest thing I have ever hear, "The honda looks like something my grandma would be driving".

Well I guess that your grandma has a bigger brain than you...

Go to Toyota and look at the Yaris... Picture stuff for the kid in the back there... Good LUCK...

Go to Honda and look at the Jazz, now compare what you could put in the back there...

I had a yaris, then the new jazz came and I just had to have one... Much more space...

Say hello to your grandma and tell her that she is a wonderful woman but her grandchild is a moron...

You will buy a car for the baby yes??? YOU NEED SPACE, not looks...

Ps. for the record... The yaris is a brilliant car but the Jazz is so much better... You could also look at the nissan if you do not care about burning money...

Oh touched a nerve have we snowy??

Have much space do you need for ONE tiny little baby you moron?? When i was growing up i remember my dad had a Ford Capri and there was me my brother and sis in the back,all i have is good memories of that car and can never remember complaining about no space.Besides that read some of the other responses on this fred, there IS plenty of room for for ONE child and baby stuff in the back easily.

Over my dead body would i spend approx 10K STLG on a car as ugly as the Honda Jazz

Cheers :o

I agree with you Bendix it is a great car, I bought my wife the car because it is perfect for having a baby to haul around. The top model has the push button start and touch lock/unlock feature. If your misses is alone carrying the baby she will appreciate not having to dig for keys to open the 5 doors and start the car. My wife loves hers, we ordered the top model but had the sport package trim added to it,I also added 17" tires so it looks great. The only dumb thing Toyota did IMHO was not put rear discs on the top model even though it is standard on the cheaper sport model.

Sakeopete - if you read this can i ask how does the touch lock/unlock actually work? Also with the start button would that not encourage wrongun's to try to break in.Finally,how much did you pay for the trim and the 17" tyres?

Cheers

JOHN2

Edited by JOHN2

Sakeopete - if you read this can i ask how does the touch lock/unlock actually work? Also with the start button would that not encourage wrongun's to try to break in.Finally,how much did you pay for the trim and the 17" tyres?

Cheers

JOHN2

The touch start and lock/unlock works great its the best feature of the car, I wish my new Fortuner had it. The car senses when you are within 1 meter (key in pocket) and lets you open the door and hatch by pulling the handle. To lock it there is a tiny black button on the handles, you can also use the remote. The remote BTW is the key but there is a physical key tucked inside the remote should the battery in it die. I don't think the push button would encourage thieves, TBH the car is not high on the list of Thai made vehicles to steal (trucks tend to be sought after) and as long as you don't have valuables in sight I can't see it happening. When we bought our Yaris there was a 2 month waiting period from the factory so we didn't pay extra to have the sport trim put on it. Sorry but i can't remember how much we paid for the tires and mags. I think it was around 35 000 including the Brembo Brake caps but the shop bought the original tires and rims to sell back to Toyota. Below is a post with a picture.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Yaris-t72897.html&hl=yaris