Do I Need To Apply For A Thai Driving Licence ?

I refer to this article in www.thaivisa.com

Thai driving license

Saturday, 30 December 2006

Thai driving license

An international driving license is not required for persons with Driving Licenses of the following countries irrespective of the citizenship :

Singapore

Malaysia

Laos

For those without an International Driving License, a local Thai license can be obtained against the Driving License of their respective country at the Land Transportation Department.

Does it mean if I'm from one of the 3 countries I don't need to apply for a local Thai license?

better to apply, as having a Thai Licence when you have an accident helps alot!, esspecially when it is not your fault

I totally agree with the above. Getting a Thai license is easy if you have an existing/current D.L from your home country.

Go to your local Land Transportation Department with your passport and Non Immigrant visa etc and proof of address in Thailand and it's very straightforward.

I have been stopped several times by the B.I.B. and they're always surprised and often disappointed when I produce my nice shiny Thai 5 year license. "Thank you very much sir, on your way sir, have a nice day sir." :o

better to apply, as having a Thai Licence when you have an accident helps alot!, esspecially when it is not your fault

I totally agree with the above. Getting a Thai license is easy if you have an existing/current D.L from your home country.

Go to your local Land Transportation Department with your passport and Non Immigrant visa etc and proof of address in Thailand and it's very straightforward.

I have been stopped several times by the B.I.B. and they're always surprised and often disappointed when I produce my nice shiny Thai 5 year license. "Thank you very much sir, on your way sir, have a nice day sir." :o

I'm on a Tourist Visa. Can I still apply for a local license?

Here are web sites where you can find valid information about a getting a Thai Driver's License:

The main page to this site is:

http://driving.information.in.th/

The main page has everything you need to know on additional pages as described to the left of the main page.

One additional page is "Getting a Thai Drivers Licence." and it takes you to the following url:

http://driving.information.in.th/driving-licence.html

In a nut shell:

1. Several insurance companies have a fine print stating that the driver should hold a valid Thai driving licence to be fully covered.

2. A Thai driver's license is accepted as sort of proof that the holder is not a tourist.

3. Having a thai drivers license may sometimes also make police slightly more lenient.

4. Basic Requirements (Other requirements are listed on the website) to apply:

a. Being of sound mind and good health (not having physical or mental handicap(s) that will prevent them from operating a vehicle safely) - being at least 18 years of age

b. If the applicant is not Thai national, the applicant must hold a valid Non-Immigrant Visa (tourists can not apply).

Regards,

ChiefBEM

Here are web sites where you can find valid information about a getting a Thai Driver's License:

The main page to this site is:

http://driving.information.in.th/

The main page has everything you need to know on additional pages as described to the left of the main page.

One additional page is "Getting a Thai Drivers Licence." and it takes you to the following url:

http://driving.information.in.th/driving-licence.html

In a nut shell:

1. Several insurance companies have a fine print stating that the driver should hold a valid Thai driving licence to be fully covered.

2. A Thai driver's license is accepted as sort of proof that the holder is not a tourist.

3. Having a thai drivers license may sometimes also make police slightly more lenient.

4. Basic Requirements (Other requirements are listed on the website) to apply:

a. Being of sound mind and good health (not having physical or mental handicap(s) that will prevent them from operating a vehicle safely) - being at least 18 years of age

b. If the applicant is not Thai national, the applicant must hold a valid Non-Immigrant Visa (tourists can not apply).

Regards,

ChiefBEM

As per #2; Most national parks will let you in at the Thai price verse the Tourist price.

So it's perfectly legal for me to be driving in Thailand with a DL from Singapore/Malaysia ?

Yes, the BiB will be perfectly happy.

But be sure that if you drive a privately owned vehicle (not a renter) that you ensure that the insurance are happy with you having a foreign licence, we don't want to give them any excuse not to pay out.

Edited by Crossy

So it's perfectly legal for me to be driving in Thailand with a DL from Singapore/Malaysia ?

Yes, the BiB will be perfectly happy.

But be sure that if you drive a privately owned vehicle (not a renter) that you ensure that the insurance are happy with you having a foreign licence, we don't want to give them any excuse not to pay out.

okay, i'm beginning to see the bigger picture.