Staying In/near Khon Kaen

Sporting Dog

I am going to Khon Kaen next month with my wife for maybe up to a week.

We usually stay at the Sofitel but have been looking thru some websites and am wondering about a couple of otther places to stay.

Has anyone any info/comments or stayed at the Castle HowChow - it looks huge but is it more a 'conference' place.

Any info about the Rachawadee resort?

We'll have a car and though we've got some business to do we probably will kick back for a few days. The Sofitel is fine but I wouldn't mind staying somewhere a little less 'hotelish.'

Price up to about 3000 a night max

Any info much appreciated.

We usually stay at the Sofitel but have been looking thru some websites and am wondering about a couple of otther places to stay.

Has anyone any info/comments or stayed at the Castle HowChow - it looks huge but is it more a 'conference' place.

We'll have a car and though we've got some business to do we probably will kick back for a few days. The Sofitel is fine but I wouldn't mind staying somewhere a little less 'hotelish.'

A new complex opened just a few months ago on Klang Muang road, it is called Piman Garden and is owned by the Piman Group who are a major home building company in Khon Kaen. Check out their website: Piman Garden

Rachawadee Resort is on the approach road to the airport and is "out of town" but it is excellent with a large swimming pool but on the occasions I have been there (for dinner rather than as a resident) it has been fairly quiet.

Sofitel is now quite expensive (by Isaan standards) but is non the less very conveniently located.

Edited by PREM-R

I have stayed at Castle HowChow a couple of times and it should be good for 2~3 days as a place to relax. There is not that much going on in the area. Maybe the cobra farm is 20k or so away...

There is a band which plays in the evening and I think it was all Thai songs, but I cannot remember exactly. I stayed in the smaller type bungalow and not in the family type, larger sized bungalow. I think breakfast is included with your stay.

Sometimes the locals pay to use the pool there, so you may be treated to a bit of eye candy. If wifey is the the jealous type of wandering eyes, be sure to wear sunglasses. :o

My bungalow just had Thai TV, so you may needed to confirm with the owner that the room you select has cable.

That's all I can remember... Oh, they have a few peacocks walking around as well as a few ducks and a cat or two.

TheWalkingMan

• 5 weeks later...

To get this topic back on the front page. I have to spend next weekend in Khon Kaen and am looking for a decent place under ฿1,000. I would also be interested in checking out any go go bars if there are any. Any advice, and I know about rain coats and all that but I'm just looking for to window shop, not buy. Thanks. Issangeorge.

Resort by airport good but very quite at night my recommendation is the Khon Kaen Orchid just behind the Khon Kaen RAM hospital, ฿50 Tuk Tuk into the city centre (sofitel) very nice rooms ฿500 a night book early he (Derrick) & she (Jong) have a great occupancy % due to the quality of accomodation and care they provide.

No I am not Derrick nor Jong and I am not on a sling just offering information. :o

To get this topic back on the front page. I have to spend next weekend in Khon Kaen and am looking for a decent place under ฿1,000. I would also be interested in checking out any go go bars if there are any. Any advice, and I know about rain coats and all that but I'm just looking for to window shop, not buy. Thanks. Issangeorge.

http://www.khonkaen.com/english/hotels/pp_hotel.asp

Have stayed at Castle Howchow and although reasonably comfortable there is very little to do and it never appeared too busy. Its at a place called Kranuan, again with very little going on.

When in Khon Kaen I usually stay at the Kosa, close to centre of town reasonable rates and service, clean and comfortable.

Kosa Hotel Khon Kaen

Stayed at the Bussarakam which was pleasant and good value.

Tuk tuk needed to get to Sofitel area for Falang bars but the hotel had a fantastic noodle stall over the road.

Couldn't believe how bad the driving was in KK compared to Pattaya - no road sense at all !

Edited by Chaimai

Never stayed here but seen this place a few times.

Cactus Resort & Hotel (แคคตัส รีสอร์ท แอนด์ โฮเต็ล) 171/38-39 Pracha Samoson Rd., Tel. 04324 4888, Fax. 0 4333 6655. 62 rooms, 440 baht

Link

Tuk tuk needed to get to Sofitel area for Falang bars but the hotel had a fantastic noodle stall over the road.

Couldn't believe how bad the driving was in KK compared to Pattaya - no road sense at all !

Bussarakam is my favorite hotel in KK. Nice rooms, clean, great staff. Breakfast buffet typical bland but certainly adequate. For under 1,000 i think it is about the best in town.

I agree about the driving there, but how can you say worse than Pattaya? Nothing can be worse than pathetic looking fat drunk farang on those huge bikes blasting hip hop music and thinking they are cool!

• 1 month later...

Bussarakam is my favorite hotel in KK. Nice rooms, clean, great staff. Breakfast buffet typical bland but certainly adequate. For under 1,000 i think it is about the best in town.

I agree about the driving there, but how can you say worse than Pattaya? Nothing can be worse than pathetic looking fat drunk farang on those huge bikes blasting hip hop music and thinking they are cool!

dthomasss,

Does the hotel provide transportation to and from the airport? If so, what's the cost? Thanks.

I stayed at the Kaen Inn http://www.passionasia.com/thailand/khon-k...-inn-hotel.html at the end of July. It was good value for the money. The website above posts the rooms at over ฿600 but the walk up price was ฿400, no breakfast, but including txes. The hotel has clean AC rooms with hot water shower and is a short walk from he Sofitel Area. I'll stay there again. Issangeorge.

• 2 weeks later...

A nice fairly new hotel in Khon Kaen (under 2 years old) is Sirin Hotel:

http://www.sirin-hotel.com/indexe.html

cost per room is 650 baht with no breakfast, 700 baht with one american breakfast or 750 baht with two american breakfasts. Minibus to airport is 70 baht and staff helpfull and speak a little english. Have eaten in their restaurant and food was good (ate Thai not farang)