Ict Does Not Allow Getting Access To Websites That

yuyi

Last night Pacific Internet went crazy: :o trying to access most (but not all) pages from many many websites such as Amazon, Eurosport and thaivisa resultet in:

ICT does not allow getting access to websites that containing inappropriate contents i.e. adult-oriented content, nudity and obscenity, prostitution, sexual abuse with children, gambling, libelous acts and so forth that may frustrate Thailand reputation and honor.

(see http://www.pacific.net.th/notallow.html)

This morning Amazon, Eurosport and even Thaivisa seem to have cleaned their websites from all this inappropriate content. :D and can get accessed again without objection from ICT / Pacific Internet

Has anyone seen that, or was that just Pacific Internet?

They were just trying to kick your arse off the internet and down to Patpong where you are more likely to spend money :o

They probably just had a monkey setting up their content filter. A friend of mine working in the Oz government once got an automated warning from his department - for trying to open the Tellytubbies website. Apparently it featured graphic images of giant purple puppets or something like that.

Last night Pacific Internet went crazy......http://www.pacific.net.th/notallow.html

Has anyone seen that, or was that just Pacific Internet?

I had the same problem all day yesterday and have been ploughing though my backlog of emails to see if anyone had mentioned this.

I couldn't get to Thiavisa at all. Thought that they (Pacific) had pulled the plug. Then I saw that I couldn't get to the BBC, Hotmail or Google, so realised that Pacific had screwed up. A bit of a relief I can tell you. But it certainly made me loosen up my "delete" finger. :D:o:D:D

It was only Pacific.

They F----D up the proxy server settings.

It had me quite worried as well, but when I checked with CSLOXINFO

all was well.

AFFECTED DATES:  3 November 2004 between 03:00-09:00 hrs

SERVICE IMPACT:  All Dial-up and ADSL subscribers, assigned to access website via proxy server, could not access to the websites, (starting with www) during that period.

REASON: There was an error on proxy server configuration.  The Company had configured new automatic command into the proxy server in order to block inappropriate websites requested by ICT.  However there was a typographical error on the list given by ICT causing an interrupted on the automatic system.  The Company had re-configured and run the test.

We apologize for the inconvenience this may cause.  If you have any questions, please email to [email protected].  For immediate assistance, please call Network Operation Center at 02-299-0288 for prompt assistance. If you have any changes in the personnel contacts, please communicate those changes to [email protected].

Thank you,

Corporate & Public Relations Department

Pacific Internet (Thailand) Limited

It was only Pacific.

all was well.

AFFECTED DATES:  3 November 2004 between 03:00-09:00 hrs

REASON: There was an error on proxy server configuration.... there was a typographical error on the list given by ICT ....

Corporate & Public Relations Department

Pacific Internet (Thailand) Limited

If it hadn't started working again, I was going to go to the nearest Internet shop to try there. But it all started working again. Phew!

As for Pacific's "reason", it just shows what a bunch of amateurs they are. Maybe they got the tea-lady to type in the new configuration, then they all went home without even thinking about testing what had just been done. Beggars belief! But I bet they proudly display an "ISO 9002" quality assurance certificate in their head office! :o:D:D

It was only Pacific.

all was well.

Something happened again yesterday (Friday). Every web site was reported as "Access Denied". Not the same text as Pacific's 'Not Allowed', and simple plain text. I couldn't get to Google or Hotmail, let alone ThaiVisa.

So I called the help number, 1142 - they only knew the English for "Please call our technical support number 02 299 0299"

So I did. Had to press 9 for English. Spoke to a lady. I said I could not get access to any Internet web site. She didn't understand. So I said "I cannot access Google. I cannot access Hotmail. Is there a problem with Pacific now?"

She said there was no problem and asked for my user ID. I gave it and got a minutes worth of musak. She came back and said "Internet OK now."

So I said "Was there a problem before?"

She said "Yes, we are very sorry, but OK now."

So I said goodbye and dialled again and everything was OK.

I have this mental picture of a big switch labelled "Internet" in the head office of Pacific Internet.

One position says "On", the other says "Off". And some days the cleaning lady accidentally knocks it into the "Off" position without anyone noticing.

• 3 weeks later...

pacific internet seems to have more problems.

i have no access to several websites, hosted by siamserver,including siamserver.com itself.

just guess who owns siamserver??

...bingo, you are right!!!!!!!

it's pacific internet!!

They seem have a problem with their proxy-server, bypassing their proxy, and i can load the sites.

if you have the same problems or want to access blocked sites, i recommend: JAP

but it slows down your connection speed. so just use it if you cannot access sites.