How Do I Keep Local Thais Off My Property.

I am currently in the U.S. waiting to retire in the next couple of years and have purchased a small (about 1 rai) piece of land in the countryside of Nahkon Nayok where I hope to build a house in the near future. It is located across a rice paddy a few hundred meters from my in-laws house. There is a stocked fish pond surrounded by mango and other fruit trees. During the rice planting season, the surrounding land is worked by the employees of a rice farmer. Since my property offers the only shade in the area the workers like lay up under the trees and relax. I do not have a real problem with this except that they also like to leave their trash around, steal the mangoes and other fruit and help themselves to the fish in the pond. My father-in-law is taking care of the land and has repeatedly asked them not to hang out there. They pay no attention to him and repeatedly defile the property. He has gone to the rice farmer and complained many times. This has done no good. Yesterday he got in a physical confrontation with them about this issue. I suggested that he go to the police about this issue but my wife says they will not come out to settle this problem. My father-in-law wants to put a cement wall around the property to keep them out. I am not willing to go to that expence at this time and I certainly do not want to have it done while I am not there. Does anyone have a solution to this probem? If I can't keep them off the land I am not so sure I want to put a house on it, especially when I will not be there all the time.

I am currently in the U.S. waiting to retire in the next couple of years and have purchased a small (about 1 rai) piece of land in the countryside of Nahkon Nayok where I hope to build a house in the near future. It is located across a rice paddy a few hundred meters from my in-laws house. There is a stocked fish pond surrounded by mango and other fruit trees. During the rice planting season, the surrounding land is worked by the employees of a rice farmer. Since my property offers the only shade in the area the workers like lay up under the trees and relax. I do not have a real problem with this except that they also like to leave their trash around, steal the mangoes and other fruit and help themselves to the fish in the pond. My father-in-law is taking care of the land and has repeatedly asked them not to hang out there. They pay no attention to him and repeatedly defile the property. He has gone to the rice farmer and complained many times. This has done no good. Yesterday he got in a physical confrontation with them about this issue. I suggested that he go to the police about this issue but my wife says they will not come out to settle this problem. My father-in-law wants to put a cement wall around the property to keep them out. I am not willing to go to that expence at this time and I certainly do not want to have it done while I am not there. Does anyone have a solution to this probem? If I can't keep them off the land I am not so sure I want to put a house on it, especially when I will not be there all the time.

I feel for you. The exact same thing, in every detail, happened to us. One of the trespassers even pulled a gun on my staff. Could not go to the puyai ban, khumnan or police because of familial ties and apathy. Finally went to an out of area Army general widely regarded as being a wise person. He had a talk with someone, who had a talk with someone else and the trespassing stopped. Shouldn't have had to do it that way, but there you are. Your FIL is correct, fence it.

Edited by lannarebirth

I’m not sure about this but couldn’t you make friends with them, or like charge them each 30 baht per month to rest in your land and eat some mango and fish? Add some table and chairs some trash cans and signs saying do not litter ghost will come? If you get like 30 of them paying 30 baht per month you got your self a little Christmas bonus!!!

Don’t deny them! embrace!!

I'm not sure about this but couldn't you make friends with them, or like charge them each 30 baht per month to rest in your land and eat some mango and fish? Add some table and chairs some trash cans and signs saying do not litter ghost will come? If you get like 30 of them paying 30 baht per month you got your self a little Christmas bonus!!!

Don't deny them! embrace!!

Wow, 30 baht a month for fresh fruit and fish......save me a place please... :o

Maybe you should add a few more rai as I would tend to think for this price you might be in for a larger crowd than expecting.

I feel for you. The exact same thing, in every detail, happened to us. One of the trespassers even pulled a gun on my staff. Could not go to the puyai ban, khumnan or police because of familial ties and apathy. Finally went to an out of area Army general widely regarded as being a wise person. He had a talk with someone, who had a talk with someone else and the trespassing stopped. Shouldn't have had to do it that way, but there you are. Your FIL is correct, fence it.

Agree with Lannarebirth, this is how to resolve the issue elegantly.

You do not mention whether if your family is getting any benefit from the mangos and fish. If not, why are you bothered about it? Since you DON'T have a home there, what exactly is the big deal? When you build a home, that's a different story.

You do not mention whether if your family is getting any benefit from the mangos and fish. If not, why are you bothered about it? Since you DON'T have a home there, what exactly is the big deal? When you build a home, that's a different story.

When you go away can you send me your address?

Yes it is a problem keeping them off.Like me i do not want to have a concrete wall around my land as most farang house's have.

Personally i think i will have the barbed wire around with trees planted around also and as stated in another reply the painting of the posts green should be more than sufficient.

Same happened to me. Basically you will have to build a wall.

You can talk to someone who will talk to someone but it only works if you know who is responsible and you can get the message across.

I have property that was fenced in but only with wire, very easy to get access. The trouble is if you turn a blind eye to people occupying /going in it will escalate. In our case it was to take stuff that you really wouldn't notice and it snowballed to someone coming with a pick up truck and stripping all the coconut palms. That must have been at least 2 pick up loads. That was enough, had to do big wall and locked gate.

Have other property, just nothing but land, not a problem of course, but husbands says have to check occasionally to make sure no ones dug up the soil :o

I'm not sure about this but couldn't you make friends with them, or like charge them each 30 baht per month to rest in your land and eat some mango and fish? Add some table and chairs some trash cans and signs saying do not litter ghost will come? If you get like 30 of them paying 30 baht per month you got your self a little Christmas bonus!!!

Maybe you should add a few more rai as I would tend to think for this price you might be in for a larger crowd than expecting.

Sarcasm is so entertaining, hahaha Fine!!!.. Fence it up and get a shot gun in the wife’s name, problem solved enjoy your new friends,

The pre-cast concrete fence posts with several rows of barbed wire is a fairly economical solution. We painted the posts green and it's both unobtrusive and effective.

That is probably what I will end up doing. I have been told by my father-in-law that it will cost about 50000 baht to enclose the area with concrete posts and barbed wire. There would be approximately 200 meters of running fence. Does this sound reasonable? The concrete posts would be poured with the idea that concrete blocks could be filled in between the posts at a later date if so desired. Of course the father-in-law and cousin would be doing the work and pocketing any thing above and beyond the material costs of which I have no idea of what they would cost.

The benefit to my family now is that they are getting the fruit and fish now and I am okay with that. They are complaining that they are taking care of the land and the freeloaders are harvesting the fruit.

Sarcasm is so entertaining, hahaha Fine!!!.. Fence it up and get a shot gun in the wife's name, problem solved enjoy your new friends,

Actually, I am the non-violent type. I was think of putting up a sound system and playing Barry Manilow tunes all day but my in-laws live to close and it would also drive them crazy.

...hegralow, some Thais regard this land as "Thai land"......and as they say "Thai rak Thai" as this Land is most probably not yours you should have a word with your missus and let her sort it.

...hegralow, some Thais regard this land as "Thai land"......and as they say "Thai rak Thai" as this Land is most probably not yours you should have a word with your missus and let her sort it.

My missus is the one who came to me to sort it out. It is her parents who are having the problems with the freeloaders.

sorry for my "crueltobekind" attiude Hegrelow but I have been through this all before with my missus too,.....in other words she wants money sent over to buy a fence,....this sort of demand is not limited to Thai women,but I suppose you will either have to put your foot down and say "NO" or accept that you are now married and are now a" buffalo."....he he he .....sorry for laughing :o just wait t'ill the real arguments start !!

Edited by dee123

50,000 baht is enough to buy materials for a small house, rather than a fence... You can get premade concrete posts, set them in a small hole with mixed concrete, and run the wire around the whole 1 Rai for probably less than 10,000 baht not counting labor... If someone talks to the workers who are "Sabai-ing" under the tree, they would probably do the whole job for less than 200 baht per day each, and it should not take 3 or 4 days to finish...

Pianoman

hmmm I own 1/2 a rai of land in Issan (or rather my gf does :o ), my gf told me that it would cost me about 12,000 baht to get a good fence put up. about 80 posts cemented in with barbed wire running around.........

my gf told me that it would cost me about 12,000 baht to get a good fence put up. about 80 posts cemented in with barbed wire running around.........
About 75 Baht per linear metre? I am guessing that the posts are not concrete?
50,000 baht to enclose the area with concrete posts and barbed wire. There would be approximately 200 meters

of running fence. Does this sound reasonable?

Yes, about 250 Baht per linear metre. (Inc 100 Baht concrete fence posts.)

A block wall - 2 metres high is about 1,000 Baht per linear metre, allowing for cast pillars every two metres.

my gf told me that it would cost me about 12,000 baht to get a good fence put up. about 80 posts cemented in with barbed wire running around.........
About 75 Baht per linear metre? I am guessing that the posts are not concrete?
50,000 baht to enclose the area with concrete posts and barbed wire. There would be approximately 200 meters

of running fence. Does this sound reasonable?

Yes, about 250 Baht per linear metre. (Inc 100 Baht concrete fence posts.)

A block wall - 2 metres high is about 1,000 Baht per linear metre, allowing for cast pillars every two metres.

Thanks for the info. That helps give me a better idea of what it might cost. Do you know if they have metal fence posts readily available in Thailand like they do here in the states? They are only a couple of bucks a piece and would save me a few thousand baht.

50,000 baht is enough to buy materials for a small house, rather than a fence...

My thoughts exactly...this kwai farang is getting seriously hosed by his Thai relatives :o

If I were him, I'd be much more worried getting robbed by them of thousands of dollars than some day labourers stealing a some mangos and a few fish!

What we usually do is fence it off with concrete posts + barbed wire and when possible (which IMO is the better option), just to lease it out, with rental contract of course to protect against that 10 year squatter law issue, for next to nothing (like X hundred Baht a month) for folks to just live on the unused land. You'd have folks on your land, but folks that you actually know and can evict.

:o

If I understand your post correctly for the 50,000 baht your father will build columns with appropriate footings utilizing reinforcing steel, for what will in the future be your block wall. Using those columns he'll string barb wire to keep intruders out. In that way you don't need to pay for posts that you'll have no use for later. 50,000 B seems a fair price to me for what you've described, assuming I understood you correctly. Good Luck.

Edited by lannarebirth