Cat Is Not Eating :(

hes about 8 years old, used to give him dry food, with wet food. then switched to a bit more wet food and less dry. then he stopped eating both. so then switched to fresh meat (roo meat)

he loved it and refused to eat any of the other food for a couple of weeks.

but now for more than a week hes refusing to eat the fresh meat as well. nor is he eating any other food, except for maybe a tiny bit of dry food (VERY reluctantly), or some of my own cooked food. but even with the cooked food hes being really really fussy.

he cries for food constantly, and looks at me like he wants something.

I dont know what to do :o

please help?? :D

by the way, I know nothing about cats, so doesnt help (cat belongs to my flatmate actually)

He doesnt look sick, doesnt seem to have lost weight. so my flatmate thinks hes still ok, just being difficult and fussy. Im a bit concerned though, especially when he gives me that pleading look and makes the constant meowing. plus the flatmate is going to be away for 4 days, and Im worried something might go wrong in that time

sighhhhh

bottom line, please help with advice?

thankyou thankyou

hes about 8 years old, used to give him dry food, with wet food. then switched to a bit more wet food and less dry. then he stopped eating both. so then switched to fresh meat (roo meat)

he loved it and refused to eat any of the other food for a couple of weeks.

but now for more than a week hes refusing to eat the fresh meat as well. nor is he eating any other food, except for maybe a tiny bit of dry food (VERY reluctantly), or some of my own cooked food. but even with the cooked food hes being really really fussy.

he cries for food constantly, and looks at me like he wants something.

I dont know what to do :o

please help?? :D

by the way, I know nothing about cats, so doesnt help (cat belongs to my flatmate actually)

He doesnt look sick, doesnt seem to have lost weight. so my flatmate thinks hes still ok, just being difficult and fussy. Im a bit concerned though, especially when he gives me that pleading look and makes the constant meowing. plus the flatmate is going to be away for 4 days, and Im worried something might go wrong in that time

sighhhhh

bottom line, please help with advice?

thankyou thankyou

Take byour cat to a vet.

vet.

anorexia in cats is problematic, once they stop eating it is hard to get them started again.. (its an organic thing, not a psychological thing)

but:

could be teeth problems. cats whose teeth hurt, are afraid to eat and then learn to avoid food, but are hungry.

could be hair balls/constipation/urinary tract problems

could be liver/kidney problems (causes nausea etc so they are sort of hungry but have no appetite

when they stop eating, u have to see if he is drinking since it goes hand in hand with cats unlike dogs who will continue to drink.

u can try smearing some canned food on his nose and lips and see if he licks it off. if not, then he is really sick. if he licks it off, keep doing it a few times a day. a healthy cat should be getting a bout a can of wet food (the small flat cans) a day, if he eats this way, then keep it up and try to get him to eat off a spoon, and eventually eating from his bowl.

i spend a good portion of my day in getting sick cats to eat , including force feeding (not fun for me or the cat)... we use a food called a/d hills brand which is like pate foi gras for sick or recuperating dogs and cats. it is full of vitamins, smearable, appetizing to a majority of sick cats, digestible, and easy to force a cat to eat it.

but better go to a vet. make a note if the cat pee'd (look in his box), or is spraying around, his poo (wet, icky, ok, not doen any in a while), throwin up (food, foam, fur)... is he hiding, or pettable, listless, is he dirty (a sick cat will often stop grooming him/herself), etc...

good luck

bina

Get the cat to a vet quickly or force feed him. They build up fat or something in there liver after as little as 4 days not eating. I left it to late with my cat 1 month before I got her into the vet, and by that time there was too much liver damage. I've had lots of cats but never came across this before. I just thought she would start eating when she got hungry. We had just gotten a new kitten at the time. Hope this helps.

Edited by 147SAG

thanks everyone.

hes eating ...but so little...and so fussy. he might occasionally lick off food from my finger if he likes it (had some yogurt the other day....)

he ate a tiny bit of roast chicken last night. Ill have another look when I get home this evening.

Bina -- he is still clean, and doing bathroom stuff normally, no vomiting. and hes not hiding from company (well not any more than he started to since he took over a couch as his own since a couple of months ago :o )

he is drinking water...but he never drank much of it at any point in the past either...

in general nothing about him has changed, I just feel hes not eating (maybe he eats a tiny bit of whats put in his bowl.....but there was a point when he would finish up all the fresh meat, and still want more)

Ill check with the flatmate if cat has regular vet and if things dont improve in next couple of days, then off to the vet it is.

just an update:

he ate some roast chicken last night

and this evening some of hte packaged food. not as much as he would normally eat, but he ate some

I wonder if the weather makes any difference? (its now getting colder in winter)

thanks again....

Does he have any other "homes"? It's possible he's getting some really tasty stuff and being spoilt rotten somewhere else, and is not having any of the muck you're palming him off with. Happened to our cat. Fussy bleeders they can be. Not eating roast chicken would seem to suggest something is wrong though - get him to the vet. Ours wouldn't eat and went down to next to no weight at all - the vet gave her a steroid shot and she ate like a horse.

could be teeth problems. cats whose teeth hurt, are afraid to eat and then learn to avoid food, but are hungry.

could be hair balls/constipation/urinary tract problems

could be liver/kidney problems (causes nausea etc so they are sort of hungry but have no appetite

Those two things are exactIy what went through my head when i read this thread.

Anyway, as aIready said, visit to the vet is needed.

Poor kitty :o Hope he wiII get better soon.

just an update:

he ate some roast chicken last night

and this evening some of hte packaged food. not as much as he would normally eat, but he ate some

I wonder if the weather makes any difference? (its now getting colder in winter)

thanks again....

Oops just read that.

Btw..just a quick side note.. miggy, you changed your avatar! i didnt recognise you 555! I hope you are weII, and that the kitty keeps improving. Chok dii x

Does he have any other "homes"? It's possible he's getting some really tasty stuff and being spoilt rotten somewhere else, and is not having any of the muck you're palming him off with. Happened to our cat. Fussy bleeders they can be. Not eating roast chicken would seem to suggest something is wrong though - get him to the vet. Ours wouldn't eat and went down to next to no weight at all - the vet gave her a steroid shot and she ate like a horse.

he still seems a healthy size. I dont know if he gets food from elsewhere (but seems unlikely). I fear hes making his own hunt though (more possibility there...but Id rather not go into details! frightened me when I first moved in here) :o

eek.....I hope hes ok too..maybe Im worrying over nothing, maybe his appetite has reduced. but I will keep an eye on him..and see how it goes over the next days. (Im not comfortable taking him out somewhere without my flatmate..Ive never 'taken' him any place...so trying to get him into a taxi could be an adventure I dont want to undertake unless in an emergency :D

and yes the avatar...was /is in the spirit of EURO 2008 :D (eventhough Holland lost...sighhhhhhh) hope you are well too

I shall report on progress. and yes, that roast chicken was good! I enjoyed it! is yogurt bad for the cat? he seem to enjoy it.....

he also ate the mince pork (fresh). is he just wanting more variety?

is he taking advantage of me cos he knows he can get me to worry and keep giving him new/different food? I was told cats are very smart in being manipulative and since Ive been around this cat, I already know theres a lot of truth to that :D

to travel with cat:

put in a sport carry bag with a double zipper or get a cat carrier, or ask the vet to borrow one for the trip back and forth... ; dont go the cardboard box route, they always leap out, claws first...

bina

bina thanks for the practical advice :o

gee cats are difficult arent they. with a dog you just open the door and they hop right into the car.

anyway, i hope I dont have to make that trip on my own just yet. he ate some of the packaged wet food last night. and this morning asked for more. when i gave him the same flavour he walked away. but when switch flavour then he had a little bit.

I guess I have to keep changing and alternating his food over the next few days. still keeping close monitor on him, his weight and such.

is there also some vitamins that encourage them to eat more? my dog was at one point eating too little and being generally difficult. took her to the vet, and the vet gave some liquid vitamin that helped increase my dog's appetite :D is there something similar that can be done with cats?

We've got cats and they can be fussy eaters but best to get your cat to a vet for a check up just in case,wont cost much.

For transporting its easy,just get a zipped cat carrier......I recently flew one of our cats from Bangkok to Udon Thani,without a problem,so popping into a taxi should be pretty straightforward even allowing for the fact you are an Arsenal fan !! :o

Just remember when in the taxi he will sound like a castrated Pavarotti and will sing all the way to the vets.

Try different foods. They are extremely finicky and annoying but adorable and loving too (the cats not the foods :o )

Good luck!!

allowing for the fact you are an Arsenal fan !! :D

OI

thats why we dont do cats. they are whingers :o

we tame tigers :D ohh and devils too :D

when the cat is not mine and theres nothing major wrong with him I have to hesitate in taking initiative while the owner is away. what if something goes wrong while the cat is out with me :D flatmate will come home and say he was perfectly fine why did I take him on a taxi ride blah blah

so think I will stick to giving him variety of food until the weekend. he liked mince pork the other day.....i guess thats dinner tonight

shall come back to update :D

thanks again everyone

Edited by MiG16

I cooked him some of the fresh kangaroo pet meat last night. he had a bit and had some more this morning.

my this cat is so fussy. i dont even cook for myself, now I have to cook for him

hmmmm

Im still not convinced hes eating normal though. flatmate is back on the weekend, so will have him taken to the vet soon. maybe vet can recommend some vitamin.....

some fussiness is behavioral, some is health...

perhaps when the owner returns the cat will return to eating normally again....

if he's starting to eat better now, it may be that he haas gotten used to u, and this not eating was a phase /part of separation anxiety... due to owner being away...

the only vitamin that we use for appetite stimulation are the b vitamins; it works for goats, so probably for dogs and cats as well...

bina

thanks bina. is that the same Vit B that humans take?

my dog had some syrup type vitamin given by the vet. after one spoon of the stuff she would eat a lot more of whatever food we gave her :D

by the way this evening the cat ate a lot of the cooked kangaroo meat that I made him (I cooked a big portion and put in small bags in fridge...dont think I can stand to cook that stuff everyday.....the most awful meat smell!!)

anyhow.....glad hes eating more of it given that I went to such torture cooking it :o

Sounds like you excellent trainer ..... or is it manipulator ... starts feeling sorry for you? :o:D

On a more serious note, it may very well be what Bina's said, that the cat suffered some sort of anxiety due to a change in his environment.

Hope he will keep on doing better. :D

Nienke

Marmalade

i dont know what it is

his owner came back. gave him food. but hes not eating it.

the night before I left him food and he ate it. but when I sat down to eat my dinner he was crying out for mine

whats going on really? it doesnt seem to be related to him being sick. if he just ate his own food, but just wants to cry out for mine?

ohh and hes showing me even more loving than normal since last 2 days? hes wanting to sit on my lap even when Ive got something else on it (laptop). In the past he would every now and then sit on my lap, but if he sees Ive got my computer there then he wont. but last night he insisted and stood beside me, getting his paws on the edge of my leg until I had to move the computer away.

very endearing ofcourse :o

Change of behavior and change in appetite which is going on for over 10 days.

I would take the cat to the vet and have him checked all over.

Better to be safe than sorry.

Nienke

a bit of an update

hes been looked at, nothing seems to be wrong

hes been de-wormed.

hes also got some vitamins to take (meant to help his appetite)

and hes now eating lamb chops :D

(I hope he knows how loved he is :o funny thing is hes not even my cat AND Im not really a cat person...kinda allergic to them actually :D )

thanks again everyone

Edited by MiG16

can I give you a kiss now Eek :D

Im clearly in a good mood :D

flatmate is away again this weekend, so Marmalade is at my disposal again (well more the other way round...Im at his beck and call :o )

bad news :o

Marmalade got sick wednesday night, so yesterday he was taken to the vet. they decided to keep him at clinic. I went to visit after work, he was on the drip...and didnt look good. in one day he had lost so much weight, and his eyes lost their sparkle :D

I spoke to the vet, they had done a blood test...didnt find anything odd...but she also said whatever it is....doesnt look good for him. I walked out of the clinic and suddenly I started to cry ......

flatmate decided to bring him home overnight...having decided he would have to put Marmalade down the next day.......I said goodbye to him this morning...devastated. our only saving grace was, I found out later in the day that an hour after I left Marmalade died of his own accord, with my flatmate by his side.

animals always know dont they.

my dog went the same way. she lived for as long as 21 years. the minute my brother decided she needed to be put down (she was only bones and skin at the time) she died 2 minutes later!

my flatmate wonders if anything could have been done if marmalade were taken to the vet earlier. I really dont believe so. there was a phase when he ate less than he normally did, but he was always himself all that time. and loved.

but now hes gone.

it was an unexpected and unplanned connection for me. after my dog died, I decided I couldnt go through the pain again and didnt want to have another pet. ....

but well, part of life i suppose. things happen.....people (and animals) come into our life without us planning to....and next thing you know....you've become so involved with them...but the unexpected goodbye is always hard.

thanks to everyone that offered advise and support.

Marmalade now rests in our backyard.

too bad u didnt do a post postmortem; we actually did to one of our -now dead- patients after two weeks of treatments and testing.... it was an infection of the membranes outside of the lungs. cause... possibly the feline aids type virus which presents itself in various sneaky ways...

i'm learning that cat diseases, and cats being ill, well, its a whole other kettle of fish...

sorry for your loss....

u did all the proper things; he was checked out, wormed, vitamins, foods, etc... its seems that with cats, as like with donkeys, by the time u see them being really sick, its often too late. its much harder to guage cat behavior as 'sick' as opposed to 'fussy cat' behavior... unlike dogs where its usually really obvious except among certain stalwart breeds...

bina

Edited by bina