Audio Lab Set Up

deejah

i need to set up an audio lab in the multi media dept at a uni

i have 2 small rooms

we plan to take out part of the wall between the rooms for a control room window (for show)

when i say for show it is to attract students, for PR purposes, etc...

i have a budget of 100.000 baht

to buy everything including the computer

not a lot of money but...

they even want some kind of couch or furnishing to look good / cool and some BASIC sound proofing egg cartons or something, again mostly for show

please bear in mind the idea is for basic audio recording functions but also to look impressive (for show)

my research tells me not just any sound card will do

perhaps we should have some kind of a mixer (but not really necessary, isn't that in the software?) and perhaps keyboard or similar item and/or 2 monitors might do the trick (again for show)

i have already done some reading and research online but this could go on forever, i am overloaded with info and the learning curve is high

i was schooled and self taught in analog so digital is somewhat new to me

i know this is not an easy or simple question i pose:

how can i speed up the decision making process of what exactly i need and can afford to buy that will actually work decently when i put it altogether

the recordings, voice, pod casts, music, shoould be decent to high quality for the student's portfolios

oh and i will have to learn how to use and teach the software :0(

this is an idea of what we might need:

computer

sound card

cables

midi software

editing software

CD burning software

audio to digital software

vocal pop guard

plugs, pins, adapters

(we might be able to use our speakers as monitors)

(we have mics)

i am a bit unsure about mixer, preamp, and / or interface i think some of the software needed should/will be packaged together

i understand logic is the best but expensive and designed for the mac i have no clue as to makes and models and specifics for the above products

on another note

i took a class at uni ages ago and we all bought these little midi sampling keyboards with effects, rhythms, etc..., casio? SK4? SK8?

whats the current trend? these machines must have come a long way, maybe i should buy one or a few for the students to play with, they are a blast

thanks in advance

i need to set up an audio lab in the multi media dept at a uni

thanks in advance

I just wrote a long reply and lost it. Basically ... No (NO! BLOODY NO!!!) egg boxes. They're crap for everything. Cheap valve mic preamps in Klong Thom. Logic, no, Cubase yes. Any Creative soundcards (SoundBlaster) no. Two monitors good (unless P. Spector). Any old cheap MIDI keyboard OK for show. Search Google for ''low-cost bedroom DAW''. You'll be surprised. 100,000 would cover a lot (dunno about the window/building work) of everything you'll need for a basic home demo studio (which seems to be what you're talking about). Maybe pick up some cheap s/w (sponsor?)

''the recordings, voice, pod casts, music, shoould be decent to high quality for the student's portfolios''

If you spend the money sensibly (i.e. not just a load of tosh ''for show'') and aren't aiming for the moon, you will be able to make professional-sounding recordings as good as anywhere/one.

I have some experience in the field, feel free to PM me.

If you are mainly using this for audio recording, then you can use audacity (google it), an open source audio software that would do everything you need. Learning curve is reasonable on it too.

For more bells and whistles I would say either Cubase or Sonar, but those aren't cheap, unless "borrowing" the software from a cd on Panthip is an open option. These both have much more options than audacity (I prefer Sonar over the others) but if you need to learn it then teach it I would say go for audacity.

A small mixer is a good idea. You can get an ok small digital mixer for a few thousand baht.

Also, get a Creative card, the mid range level one would be fine, I think a few thousand baht there too.

I have a fairly decent bedroom DAW, let me know if you have any other questions.....i actually think the window for the control room is kind of funny as are the egg cartons.....but I have been in Thailand long enough to know how important presentation is.

Edited by tominbkk