I Used To Be A Farang But Now I Am Kon Thai!

tomuk76

Good luck to the bloke whom the OP quoted and the subsequent confirmations, but I would rather eat KFC than some of the mystery picks you find at a lot of street vendors.

You can't know much about KFC !

Yeah, you are correct on that one. There is nothing special about KFC except that there isn't one for miles.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good luck to the bloke whom the OP quoted and the subsequent confirmations, but I would rather eat KFC than some of the mystery picks you find at a lot of street vendors.

Yeah, you are correct on that one. There is nothing special about KFC except that there isn't one for miles.

KFC was the reason why I turned to a vegetarian for 1 year. I had to puke when I had a visit to there chicken farm. And then I was told more information about them chickens then I puked again. My mom added beef to my soup to get me back on to meat. and for some reason I like zinger burgers now.

Some TV soaps this past year have shown westerns acting very Thai, they seem to be a white Thai. Just TV I know but I think there out there. Its odd, when I visit Asian friends in other western country’s there house would be similar set up as there home country. Chinese, Vietnams ectect. And they will be screwed if they could not eat there own country food as well. I herd they get ill if they don’t have it.

Neither about ANY of the branded chains like Star_ucks and the like, a piece of fried chicken cost's 10-25 Baht on ANY thai Market Stall, as I wrote before, they sell "an image" dreams... in very expensive wrappings!

Those who need the fix... well do it - if choice and freedom comes down to have the "choice" to eat at KFC or sip a coffee at Sta_ucks, I don't envy those who care to have that kind of rather questionable "choices"! :o

Edited by Samuian

Neither about ANY of the branded chains like Star_ucks and the like, a piece of fried chicken cost's 10-25 Baht on ANY thai Market Stall, as I wrote before the sell "an image" dreams... in very expensive wrappings!

Those who need the fix... well do it - if choice and freedom comes down to have the "choice" to eat at KFC or sip a coffee at Sta_ucks, I don't eny those who care to have that kind of "choice"! :o

why dose starbucks get blocked out? lol

Well I think this guy is a total w*nker he likes LOS because of the cheap food but makes it crushingly clear that he despises Thai people and has adopted the arrogant view that they will hoover your bank account at the drop of a hat (all 65m of them).

Any social interaction with this guy must be a real barrel of laughs with that attitude.

He reads to me as bitter about a number of things stemming from his lack of finance which he attempts to morph into a lifestyle choice to bolster his self image.

2700 a month rent and they also have internet for 300 baht and apparently 50 cable channels for 100 baht? something is not adding up. room i am renting is 30K a month and has like 10 channels. cant see how internet could be that cheap either.

This is one of those frequent tunnel-vision posters who doesn't realize there is life outside of Patong, Phuket, and Bangkok.

2,500 to 3,000 baht a month is a normal range for apartment/home rental charges in our town. You can also get 50 cable channels here for about 130 baht.

I would suggest to NoSpeakIt to get out a little more and TryToSeeIt (the real Thailand). :o

2700 a month rent and they also have internet for 300 baht and apparently 50 cable channels for 100 baht? something is not adding up. room i am renting is 30K a month and has like 10 channels. cant see how internet could be that cheap either.

This is one of those frequent tunnel-vision posters who doesn't realize there is life outside of Patong, Phuket, and Bangkok.

2,500 to 3,000 baht a month is a normal range for apartment/home rental charges in our town. You can also get 50 cable channels here for about 130 baht.

I would suggest to NoSpeakIt to get out a little more and TryToSeeIt (the real Thailand). :D

Well I make the referee!

Sounds like high income/bank account/savings/spending power equals the level of happiness-fulfillment... :o

The OP might be whatever he wishes to be... see many of our hosts in this country live a happy life with much, much less then he is crusing along with...

Why are starbucks so hated?

I like starbucks. The coffee is ok, and I'm happy to pay 250 baht for a coffee and cake in nice surroundings. Judging by the jovial and content looking folks (mostly Thai) that proliferate the establishments, I'm not the only one.

Choice A) Starbucks Siam Sq.

Choice :o 10 baht coffee at a rural market.

'A' please.

I agree that KFC is dreadful, and I'd much rather go to five start chicken! (ha ha)

I´ve been Thai all my life. I didn´t realise it until I moved to Thailand though. Strange to feel more at home on the other side of the world but that is the case.

The only thing that gives me away is my european apperance and pronunciation!

Wait a short while. Your opinions will 'evolve'. :o

[Actually, I hope your joking. You must be, aren't you?]

I´ve been Thai all my life. I didn´t realise it until I moved to Thailand though. Strange to feel more at home on the other side of the world but that is the case.

Wait a short while. Your opinions will 'evolve'. :D

I think Jasreeve's post is very credible!

About 15 years ago, as I traveled to Asia frequently for business I began realizing I was more "Asian" than "Western" at my core. In my Western country, I began to surround myself with Asian immigrants as acquaintances and close friends, and found a new level of relationships that I didn't think was ever possible for me. After 10 years of this "gut" feeling developing within, I cut the cord and moved to Thailand. After 50 years of feeling like a pilgrim, now I'm home. When I go back to visit family and friends in my country of origin, I get homesick for Thailand. :o

I think just about any Asian country would do, so I'm not particularly hung up on Thailand. Right now in Thailand, some of my best relationships are with Vietnamese, Chinese, Japanese, and Lao. There's a fierce loyalty to family and friends that I find lacking in the west. Since I've been "adopted" by a half-dozen Asian families as an uncle/brother/grandfather, I get to enjoy the benefits. Incidentally, very little money changes hands in these relationships--some of my Asian friends/families are somewhat better off than I am!

Hard for others to understand who haven't been through it. No, Jasreeve, I don't think he's joking. I'm not either.

Edited by toptuan

Wait a short while. Your opinions will 'evolve'. :o

:D

I would suggest to NoSpeakIt to get out a little more and TryToSeeIt (the real Thailand). :o

Where is this? In Khon Kaen we get 70 channels for 300 baht.

Some people just can't adapt to a different culture. I bet most of the guys that go to Starbucks speak to the staff in English. I know one such guy, who has been here for 2 years, and can't order a cup of coffee - what a joke.

Some people just can't adapt to a different culture. I bet most of the guys that go to Starbucks speak to the staff in English. I know one such guy, who has been here for 2 years, and can't order a cup of coffee - what a joke.

I recon, someone should teach the workers to speak better English!! :o

So Neeranam, how do you say Starbucks Frappuchino in Thai?

Is it 'Stalbucks Flappuchino'?

Where is this? In Khon Kaen we get 70 channels for 300 baht.

I'll PM you with the details.

I recon, someone should teach the workers to speak better English!! :o

And that is exactly the serious reaction of an amazing number of expats in Thailand! :D I remember one poster who complained about his maid's sub-standard service and castigated her for not learning English well enough to take his directions adequately! (I think we call it the "Colonist Mindset").

Edited by toptuan

Well since the staff at my local Starbucks speak good English and greet me in English I would feel pretty stupid trying to order in Thai and kind of feel likes its a bit of an in-your-face when thats done. Almost like - 'don't speak to me in English, your English isn't good enough, I'll speak to you in Thai thanks' which can seem rude.

In terms of maids or anyone else that is targetting the foreign non-Thai market for a job, surely English is a skill you need to pick up and is a requirement of the job? If its not good enough for the job, of course the employer will complain. Its not a charity service where the employee dictates the conditions or self-evaluates their own performance.

KFC was the reason why I turned to a vegetarian for 1 year. I had to puke when I had a visit to there chicken farm. And then I was told more information about them chickens then I puked again. My mom added beef to my soup to get me back on to meat. and for some reason I like zinger burgers now.

Some TV soaps this past year have shown westerns acting very Thai, they seem to be a white Thai. Just TV I know but I think there out there. Its odd, when I visit Asian friends in other western country’s there house would be similar set up as there home country. Chinese, Vietnams ectect. And they will be screwed if they could not eat there own country food as well. I herd they get ill if they don’t have it.

KFC is my Hero here. Its like my special treat twice a week or so I get a big o'l 4 piece. I wanted to puke when I first came here and they had no biscuits. I wish they had Popeye's. I remember many years ago when I was back in the States there were a group of grungy kids from the suberbs standing outside of a busy KFC in Philadelphia protesting the farms or something. They where carrying banners and signs saying "KFC is Murder". People kinda eye balled them as they walked by but it didn't cut into business much. I figured I would have a bit of fun so I walked in there and ordered a bucket of chicken and came outside and stood with them. Chanting along with a mouth full of extra crispy "KFC is Murder,,,Mmmmmmm!" People actualy stopped and stood around pointing and laughing, a few even joined me as I passed around pieces of good ol' KFC...

I love Thai food but I am happy to have KFC around.

Some TV soaps this past year have shown westerns acting very Thai, they seem to be a white Thai. Just TV I know but I think there out there. Its odd, when I visit Asian friends in other western country's there house would be similar set up as there home country. Chinese, Vietnams ectect. And they will be screwed if they could not eat there own country food as well. I herd they get ill if they don't have it.

KFC is my Hero here. Its like my special treat twice a week or so I get a big o'l 4 piece. I wanted to puke when I first came here and they had no biscuits. I wish they had Popeye's. I remember many years ago when I was back in the States there were a group of grungy kids from the suberbs standing outside of a busy KFC in Philadelphia protesting the farms or something. They where carrying banners and signs saying "KFC is Murder". People kinda eye balled them as they walked by but it didn't cut into business much. I figured I would have a bit of fun so I walked in there and ordered a bucket of chicken and came outside and stood with them. Chanting along with a mouth full of extra crispy "KFC is Murder,,,Mmmmmmm!" People actualy stopped and stood around pointing and laughing, a few even joined me as I passed around pieces of good ol' KFC...

Yeah Popeye's cool. I ate that few years back, I didn’t care to much for the chickens death. They where being pumped with growth hormones and they get there legs cut off so they don’t go anywhere. And then they have these bubbles form allover witch was totally gross!!!

Some TV soaps this past year have shown westerns acting very Thai, they seem to be a white Thai. Just TV I know but I think there out there. Its odd, when I visit Asian friends in other western country's there house would be similar set up as there home country. Chinese, Vietnams ectect. And they will be screwed if they could not eat there own country food as well. I herd they get ill if they don't have it.

Yeah Popeye's cool. I ate that few years back, I didn’t care to much for the chickens death. They where being pumped with growth hormones and they get there legs cut off so they don’t go anywhere. And then they have these bubbles form allover witch was totally gross!!!

I was just talking about that with my wife the other day. I wonder if they can genetically alter the DNA of chickens to make them tastier, without the hormones. Mabye even a a gene for garlic immunity so it can be attached to a marinade iv...mmmmm pre-marinated chickens. My only problem is with eating animals who are wild and endangered, as well as wasting food. But farmed chickens, hel_l make the best use out of them as possible I say.

I remembering commenting on this at the time. It paints an interesting picture of life as an illegal worker in Thailand and how the writer compensates for his low status by his belief that only he knows the real Thailand. He can rest assured that while he may not be on the top of the pile in Thailand he is certainly a cut above the ex-pats and tourists who are all sexually perverts who eat Marmite. Yes, this guy knows the real Thailand and knows that any Thai woman with a westerner is a prostitute. I certainly leaned a lot from him.
I take offence at your comment, i do not eat marmite ! :o

Sorry, in your case vegimite.

Wrong again, thats aussie <deleted> ! :D

Please dont get me wrong! I try to live thai style as much as possible as of course im living in the kingdom of thailand so i should do. I eat thai food all day every day, and i have done for the last 5 years even in the UK where i lived before. I prefer thai life otherwise i wouldnt be here!!

please explain why living in Thailand makes it mandatory to live "thai style". i abhor (average) thai style life but accept if farangs prefer to live accordingly as that's their prerogative and none of my business. nevertheless i prefer to live in Thailand but living the style of MY personal choice.

I worded it wrong i corrected myself on page 2(my third post) If you cant be bothered to go back and read it i said

"Ok maybe i said that wrong, I try to adjust to the customs as much as i can and show respect, many things us farangs can insult thai people! but i eat thai food because i prefer it!"

Edited by tomuk76

this thread is one of the most interesting on TV. from "living like a Thai" to "genetically altered chicken" :o

Yeah whats happened to my thread?? Last night i was asking about if any of you lot knew any farangs who think theyre thai, Now i know more about starbucks and KFC than i need to!!

I give up LOL

this thread is one of the most interesting on TV. from "living like a Thai" to "genetically altered chicken" :o

Yeah whats happened to my thread?? Last night i was asking about if any of you lot knew any farangs who think theyre thai, Now i know more about starbucks and KFC than i need to!!

I give up LOL

Don't forget MY discussion about hiring maids who don't speak English! :D