Military Service For Dual National And The Tabieen Baan.

A while ago I asked the question if it would be possible for my 12 year old son (half Brit/Thai) to obtain dual nationality without having to undergo the military service lottery. The comeback was that he wouldn't have to take part in the lottery as long as he was not resident in Thailand before the age of 30. At 30 he would be deemed too old and would be allowed to live in LOS if he wished.

However, friends in the UK, in a similar position to ours, have obtained their son dual nationality but say he has to be kept off the Tabieen Baan. As we were hoping to buy a house in Nakhon Sawan in our son's name in a couple of years or so this would be a bit of a blow.

Does any of you know if this is really the case?

A while ago I asked the question if it would be possible for my 12 year old son (half Brit/Thai) to obtain dual nationality without having to undergo the military service lottery. The comeback was that he wouldn't have to take part in the lottery as long as he was not resident in Thailand before the age of 30. At 30 he would be deemed too old and would be allowed to live in LOS if he wished.

However, friends in the UK, in a similar position to ours, have obtained their son dual nationality but say he has to be kept off the Tabieen Baan. As we were hoping to buy a house in Nakhon Sawan in our son's name in a couple of years or so this would be a bit of a blow.

having been through it all myself (ie I am the dual national) the answer is YES! On the tabieen baan, and you are on the radar. Off it, they don't know. Show up when you are 30, point to the appropriate rule and after a bit of too-ing and fro-ing ( a nominal police fine ranging from 100 to 400 baht) you are in the clear.

I'm wondering why you simply don't put the house in your wifes name?

having been through it all myself (ie I am the dual national) the answer is YES! On the tabieen baan, and you are on the radar. Off it, they don't know. Show up when you are 30, point to the appropriate rule and after a bit of too-ing and fro-ing ( a nominal police fine ranging from 100 to 400 baht) you are in the clear.

I'm wondering why you simply don't put the house in your wifes name?

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm...................

Yesssssss, why don't he simply do that?

Anybody has any idea?

Thanks for that Samran.

This is going to look as if I am looking on the black side but the reason that I would prefer it to be in my son's name is if anything were to happen to my wife, the house would pass straight to her family. I wouldn't be the first, or last, to lose a house in this way. Besides he will inherit any property eventually so why not get it built in his name in the first place.

To Samran

Wouldn't his son have to be on the Tabien Baan in order to get a Thai ID card/employment in Thailand/own a vehicle etc. etc. ?

PaddyBKK

more or less, yes. What I'm saying though is that if you don't intend to live in Thailand during ages 18 to 30 then the draft is avoidable, but if you are living here, it becomes less the case. Having said that, there is nothing to stop someone (like I did) coming into Thailand on the Thai passport and stay for extended periods. I did vacation work here and being employed/opening bank accounts etc was possible with just a passport (though geting a DL, credit card etc was more difficult).

While when in Thailand you need to be on the Tabieen Baan to get the ID card, which is needed to get a passport. The loophole is that if you are living outside of Thailand, the embassy can issue you a passport simply by seeing proof of your Thai nationality - which usually means a birth certificate...

• 3 months later...

I have dual citizenship, which I aquired in 2000 (born 1984). All the paperwork was done at the Thai embassy in Sweden. Then my mother asked the police chief of Pattaya of what to do and he told her to keep me off the baan thabian until I was 30 or otherwise I would be called for consription.