Bangkok Voted World's Best City In Travel Poll

george

It's pretty obvious that what is good for one man certainly isn't for another. I've been to Chiang Mai several times with intentions of moving there, and every time I went, I found something to complain about. The food doesn't come anywhere near close to Bangkok, the live music scene for Thai rock pales in comparison to here, there are way too many tourists in the greater radius of the city (compared to my 99.9% Thai neighborhood in Bkk), and the pollution during the burning season is worse than Shanghai, Beijing, Bangkok, and Athens all put together....then again, I've got friends in CM who hate Bkk with a passion and love their lives up there.

I have the fortune of being able to work from home, so I don't deal with traffic too much here, I enjoy the pleasure of eating fantastic middle class Thai food in local restaurants seven nights a week for under $15 for a great meal for two with a beer or two, and the street life in this city dwarfs anything that one can find in any country with the same level of development anywhere in the world. Yes it is dirty and polluted, but that is not why I live here. New York is indeed a great city, but only if one has the salary to afford the restaurants, theater, and rents, and for most folks these days, that kind of income usually involves a lifetime's worth of office hours. I grew up in San Francisco, back in the days where one could work 20 hours a week to pay the bills, and then spend the rest of one's time playing music, studying languages, or pursuing whatever made one happy. It was a great place back then. Probably still is to young folks who move there today, but when I go back I am horrified. Anyways, if you wake up griping about a place everyday, you are either in the wrong place or perhaps are in need of a good roll in the hay!

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bangkok being voted the world's best city in a travel mag definitely gave me my laugh for the week :o as did a few of the other cities in the top ten. To see those rankings after having spent almost all of my life traveling around the world, it really does not say much for the readers that participated in the poll. On a personal level, I love Bangkok and it has been for many years my favourite big city where I enjoy spending my time however to compare it to Paris, Rome, Sydney and other world class cities as a tourist destination for people who have not yet traveled throughout the world IMHO seems somewhat ludicrous and misleading.

7 years I live in Bkk, so somewhere I must certainly appreciate it.

A place to visit? Certainly, like many in the world.

A top destination ? I do NOT think so. Allow me to develop my answer.

First let see for the Mass Transit , visitor can be quite old, or quite young, or be disabled ... Mass transit are at best chaotic (except for BTS and MRT) So unless you got a top hotel, and use taxy only, it's difficult to move from A to B. That is in opposite to old Europe where you can easily and mostly safely move from A to B for cheap (metropolitan or bus). I will not speak about pollution, all here we know how bad is it if you compare with Paris or Rome or London.

Let say for food. Spicy food indeed. Since I am born I eat spicy food, but not spicy at that point. I am not really sure that is everyone who can enjoy it. Futhermore, Thai food is not cooked, but mostly boiled (quickly) and put with chilly to make it feel like if it have been cooked. No sauce also (sauce is capital element for food in continetal europe and most of africa)

What about beach/sea? Did anyone dare to compare the quality/clean of PAttaya/Phuket/Bangkok beach with the quality of St Tropez/Cannes/Frejus beaches? Places where the cost of life is cheaper than Bkk (for a tourist, not for a permanent resident)?

What about cultural life? How many of you have visited the pupet theater/museum? How many of you know where is it? The simply fact to have it hidden is some dark corner of Sam Luan show how culture (as long as it does not provide fame to some political persons) is considered by the powers place (notice I use POWERS , as I do notdesign one governement , but more the mainstream of the so called thai western establishment who is more prompt to promote massage --- such as tibetan massage--- because it's good business than the real traditional culture).

So, this poll does not reflect THE reality, but reflect simply one reality for a very small group of people. Personaly, I would gladly exchange my 7 years in BKK for 7 years in Sophia Antipolis, with ski stations at 2 hours, mediteranean see at 45 mn, with an internet that is fast and reliable, with any kind of food (european and asian) for a decent price, a quality of life and work that is way better than Bkk. But what is also true that is a personnal feeling, and it certainly be not shared by anyone (still French riviera have lot of tourist, and real Hi So tourist ....)

Argh :o What's to discusss?

All this press release suggests to me is that American Express travel is now pushing Bangkok.

The last time a thread related to this publication ication came out I pointed out that there was a limited subscription base. Look at sections 6a and 6b of the ABC filing. http://www.tlmediakit.com/downloads/ABC_0607.pdf

In terms of actual individual subscribers and single copy purchasers, I think the total base is around 50,000. The balance of “subscribers” being handouts. Of the 50,000 readers, how many do you think actually completed the questionnaires? The survey doesn't say how many people responded. What if there were only 1000 participants ? Anyone that would take this survey seriously is a gullible fool. I think the data pool is biased and that any conclusions made can not be taken as anything more than an opinion voiced by a small number of people, many of whom probably have never visited many of the places surveyed.

I have as much confidence in the results as I do in Mugabe's claim that he has a mandate to be dictator of Zimbabwe.

Bangkok, a great city, those who dont like it must live a very boreing life, living in your condos whatch your boreing True TV. Your sad, bet most of you are Yuky Yanks. Iv lived here 20 yrs and still love it!

That be right "Mick"! You don't like Bangkok or Yanks, I take it. I been here 20 years and love it, but don't take much to condos and True TV. You should be a comedian with such skills. Very creative. Suggest you take a spelling class or learn how to use the spell check "Mick".

Bangkok, a great city, those who dont like it must live a very boreing life, living in your condos whatch your boreing True TV. Your sad, bet most of you are Yuky Yanks. Iv lived here 20 yrs and still love it!

That be right "Mick"! You don't like Bangkok or Yanks, I take it. I been here 20 years and love it, but don't take much to condos and True TV. You should be a comedian with such skills. Very creative. Suggest you take a spelling class or learn how to use the spell check "Mick".

Wow! I must be pretty naive. I never new how much anti-American sentiments there were until joining this site. Every country has its issues including Great Britain, Oz, and the like and not all yanks agree with our politicians so enough with the bashing, ignorance and arrogance are not limited to one country, just listen to "Mick'! :o

Edited by mizzi39

:o I live in Rawai (Phuket) and Byron Bay (Australia) and travel all year and have been to most great cities in the world. I must agree with the poll Bangkok is the greatest city in the world. Of course it has lots of problems, pollution, poverty, corruption etc. but the poll was taken from tourists and for sheer excitement, price and joy of living it would be hard to beat Bangkok. Lots of my friends, rich and poor would not live anywhere else. There is very little snobisme in Bangkok, less affluent people can walk into Paragon or other shopping centers freely and are greeted with a smile even if the never could afford to buy anything, in Rodeo Drive they lock the doors of shops and in Knightsbridge anyone who does not look the part might get turned away. Such blatant discrimination is unheard of in Bangkok. Of course places like beautiful Chiang Mai or Denver are easier to live in, but they not world cities. So fore sheer fun and excitement and value for money give me Krung Thep anytime.

if you are here for the girls maybe bangkok is great, or if you are a tourist and want to see chatuchak and the grand palace and do some shopping, ok... but living here otherwise, bangkok has little to offer anyone else.

Speak for yourself, not "everyone else"

Bangkok is a great city which just as much culture and stuff to do as your beloved New York

lets not get derailed from the OP or degenerate into 'my city is better than your city'

the title of the thread is .. Bangkok Voted World's Best City In Travel Poll - that means for tourists, so yes they are probably right..

if it were a 'BKK is the worlds best city to live & work in' poll, then number 1 i think it would not be.. (that accolade would go to Chiangmai.. :o or am i biased..)

Agreed. Comparing shit holes is useless. I happen to like certain shit holes. Bangkok is one of them, but, and this is only me, NYC is the greatest city in the world. I can only spend a few days at a time there.

For a two or three week get-away, for a middle-aged man with some money to blow, Bangkok, as a starting point, has got to be #1.

Hmmm, that really surprised me. Maybe it mean transit passengers or somthing. I have been to a lot of the other major cities and I would have to say they would easily rate higher then Bangkok in terms of sights. BKK is nothing special except some cultural sightes.

I think someone asked about the methodology of the poll. Here it is:

http://www.travelandleisure.com/worldsbest...methodology.cfm

I don't know what the weighting of "value" was, and it is clear that it was not necessary that you had visited any of the cities to respond to the poll. It is very possible that readers saw a bunch of beautiful stories and pictures in the mag, saw the cheap prices, and the non-visitors votes outweighed the actual visitors. I suspect, for a mag like this, it's really a "Wish List" - where I'd like to go. That bodes well for Bangkok's image; the mayor is doing a good job of marketing.

For people who really like "CITIES", Bangkok isn't so bad, really. "Real" cities are generally dirty, smelly, decrepit and gridlocked (much like "real" men... 5555), so if you like that sort of thing, Bangkok has it in abundance.

I would only note that since living here for some years, every foreign visitor I've entertained has said the same thing - wouldn't miss Bangkok on a trip to Thailand, but 2 nights is plenty...

Yeah! Ok Bangkok, ok Bali, Ok Florence and Rome!!!

Is Buenos Aires so beautiful? I should go before die.

I can't believe Amsterdam is not on the list, although last time I was there, it was turning into a real low-class shit hole. Shame.

I am now staying in the best city in the world. Can TAT run with that? I mean being #1 in the listed rankings.

I remember a contest, "Bangkok's best Hamburger". It was rather amazing that the number one and number two sponsors came in first and second.

Kind of like movie critics. The movies that they rave about stink in my opinion. Then again, I don't have enough class to appreciate the finer things in life.

As this is a tourist survey it would be perhaps interesting to know where the contributors to the survey stayed in BKK and how long they stayed. If you spend your days at the Peninsula, Royal Orchid Sheraton, Oriental etc. your experience of the city will be different to those who lay their heads down around Khao San road.

Bangkok - best city?? Okay, if you like dirt, air and water pollution with open grills pestering the air everywhere, cracked pavements, being run over by motorbikes while walking on the pavement, lack of decent public transport, getting overcharged, scams and fakes, soi dogs... :D

Then again, the respondents probably stayed at the Oriental or Dusit Thani, and travelled constantly via limousine, with a hotel employee giving them blo-jobs... :o

Edited by 7

Bangkok - best city?? Okay, if you like dirt, air and water pollution with open grills pestering the air everywhere, cracked pavements, being run over by motorbikes while walking on the pavement, lack of decent public transport, getting overcharged, scams and fakes, soi dogs... :o

This is my point, stay at the Oriental etc. and you will be whisked to your luxury dinner appointment in the limo, you will never have to set foot on uneven pavements, dodge lao khao fueled motorcyclist or risk falling down an uncovered storm drain.

I've loved Bangkok since I first set foot in it 35 years ago. Give folks a smile and they smile right back. In the west you would be considered demented to smile so much. I would live in Bangkok if it wasn't for the pollution.

The "smile" is fake, and we all know it. They are smiling at what they think is in your wallet, and smiling as they think of ways to empty it.

Obviously went to school here too.

I love Bangkok and do not plan on moving anytime soon. I reassess my life periodically and where I live is a big part of it. This place really grows on you.

You must be gay or Live only for the sex offered in this city. I live there also for 4 years and visited Thailand from top to bottom and left to right trust me i would never return .I have visited May Cities in this world and as far i'm concern many are far more interesting with greater peoples who are not selfish like Thaim peoples are

Enjoy the sex i hope you have a ton of Condom with you and i am not a Yankee abut know many who use to live there and are now gone more to come also.

Here yes, but that just goes to show what the majority of people that move here are like. Bangkok still came out as No.1 which means there are a hel_l of a lot of people who disagree with the people here.