What Can I Afford To Rent..?

endlessnights

hey..

I was wondering what I could afford to rent at an income of about Bt30K month..? (to be safe) I can't seem to find any listings for unserviced apts.. like I don't need the whole furnished, cleaning, swimming pool, fitness center, blahblahblah. I just need a studio or 1 bedroom apt, w/kitchenette and a/c.. preferably near the skyline. I am not sure if I'll have a car or not.

any help to get me started would be great.. I've been to the apartment section, and searched the forums, but it seems like most ppl here have a really high income.

I know there are some cheap 1 bedroom apartments near Surasak BTS in Sathorn, right above Family Mart, renting for about THB6-8K a month. I dont have the phone number for it though.

I can try to find out and post it when I do............. :o

hey..

I was wondering what I could afford to rent at an income of about Bt30K month..?  (to be safe) I can't seem to find any listings for unserviced apts.. like I don't need the whole furnished, cleaning, swimming pool, fitness center, blahblahblah.  I just need a studio or 1 bedroom apt, w/kitchenette and a/c.. preferably near the skyline.  I am not sure if I'll have a car or not.

any help to get me started would be great.. I've been to the apartment section, and searched the forums, but it seems like most ppl here have a really high income.

You can get a studio apartment for as low as 4000 baht per month (and before people jump at me saying how that is impossible, I dont talk about Silom or Upper Sukhumwit), but I doubt that you would like any of these places very much except for at the initial stage.

I don't know anyone with rent in the below 20,000 baht/month range that has found their apartment in Bangkok through any agencies or web pages. Best way to find one is through personal contacts, if you have any. If you don't, start by living at a guest house or hotel and make a point of scanning different areas every day, make friends quickly and so you'll get there. Hard work, but it eventually pays off.

Bangkok is huge, you really need to specify in which area you want to stay.

Cheers,

Meadish

There are many apartments available, for what Meadish quotes and some even lower, available in the northern suburbs, eg. Pak Kret, which is a 20-30 minute aircon bus (20 baht) ride away from Victory Monument and then a BTS connect. Best way is to simply go up to the various multi-storied condo/apartments and inquire. A 30K income would almost demand that no more than 4K is spent on housing.

I opted for the lower cost living in the suburbs of bangkok (about 30 mins away from downtown)

The Townhouses here run about 5000 baht a month, but you get a LOT of room compared to an apartment. I have a 2 bedroom, 2 bath with large kitchen and living room and dining room for 4500. the Down side you ask? you need some furniture. I moved in with a bed and just filled it in a bit at a time!

:o

Greg

Hi griser, may I ask where you live?, I can't PM you at present my pc is full of worms, unlike my hovercraft.

On Sukh there are 2 places in soi 22, Liberty Court (nice) for about 6Kb and in the sub soi adjacent for 5Kb. It' called Peter Court. Very basic......

thanks everyone for the help! I don't know what the heck I'm doing so I should just shut up for now :o I guess I never noticed/looked before but there are listings in the Nation that seem to be reasonable.

I feel I would be able to live okay if I spent 10K on housing (including utilities).. though I'd rather pay less.. food and transportation is generally cheap. if the Thais can live off off salaries well below 20K/month.. so can I!!

There are many apartments available, for what Meadish quotes and some even lower, available in the northern suburbs, eg. Pak Kret, which is a 20-30 minute aircon bus (20 baht) ride away from Victory Monument and then a BTS connect. Best way is to simply go up to the various multi-storied condo/apartments and inquire. A 30K income would almost demand that no more than 4K is spent on housing.

I know there are some cheap 1 bedroom apartments near Surasak BTS in Sathorn, right above Family Mart, renting for about THB6-8K a month. I dont have the phone number for it though.

I can try to find out and post it when I do............. :o

Its called the royal king garden and the rooms there start at B12,000 per month up to B24,000

Noodles.

I live in Muang Tuang studios here are new clean and well maintained, and at 1800 bt a month a total steal. Regular minbus service ( every ten Mins) runs to victory monument and takes about fifteen mins costs 25bt friendly natives and great food up here 20bt a meal at the food court with around 100 different stalls, the air is not poluted at all give it a go, best to have a thai speaker when you are looking though as it can be a little testing otherwise

cheers

And trust me, you cannot live as cheap as a thai

I live in Muang Tuang studios here are new clean and well maintained, and at 1800 bt a month a total steal. Regular minbus service ( every ten Mins) runs to victory monument and takes about fifteen mins costs 25bt friendly natives and great food up here 20bt a meal at the food court with around 100 different stalls, the air is not poluted at all give it a go, best to have a thai speaker when you are looking though as it can be a little testing otherwise

cheers

1800b ??? Hard to believe! How big is it? Thanx.

Have a (trusted) Thai get a quote and push for the Thai price. Falangs

pay about double.

Are you sure? :o Doubles a bit of an exaggeration unless you're really getting ripped off.

I know appartments will charge a farang a bit more but on the price of appartments he's looking at maybe 500 baht more if he gets charged more at all.

Longer contracts will often get you discounts though so don't be afraid to ask.

Like others, I'd recommend getting away from Sukhmvit - it's a pricey area! I live near Victory Monument - about 1km away - and there are lots of apartment buildings here. Rents range from approx. 10K for a one bedroom down to 5-6K for a studio. Of course that doesn't include electricity, water, TV, etc.... which add another 1.5 - 3K, depending on your AirCon use.

cheers

room is large and airy, approx 8 meters by 5 meters with separate fully tiled shower room and toilet, security 24 hours all working lifts, cleaners every day I pay 400bt a month total for maintanance and water

• 1 month later...

hey all.. I started this post in the beginning.. I just wanted to share that I did find an apt finally.. I am on phahon yothin 8 @ sailom condominiums.. (this street is on the opposite side of the main road of soi ari).. it's a studio apt and I am paying 5,700.. I am a 6min walk to the skytrain-air station (mostly on the main road).. bathroom/shower, aircon, decent sized (I was able to sorta split the room into a bedroom/livingroom), no kitchen, though I had to completely furnish it myself and I am going to install hot water for the shower. and I have to pay for electric and water on top of that.

just thought I'd share.. if anyone wants more info feel free to pm me.

This might be too expensive for you. But, for those who're looking for a nice place to stay and can afford 25,00/month. Check this out

http://www.thaisecondhand.com/_board/rl/data/RL2963476.html

• 2 weeks later...

cheers

1800.- Baht ? Where do you live ? 20 Baht for one meal at food center, you cant be fulled with that price. I'm a small thai gal I need 35-40 Baht for noodle and sweet and soft drink or water with ice = 70 Baht for one meal. Ordinary meal of couse, not included dinner. :o