Mike's Hamburgers

jimmym40

I was a little disappointed.

It's been about a year since my last visit there. The portion size of the burger seems to diminished. If I recall, the burger patty was like a quarter pounder, but now, it's half the size.

Anyone else notice this or could it be that my appetite was looking for more.

Hamburgers have been previously discussed at length on this forum. Mike's was mentioned more than once.

Do you really think it is necessary to start yet another boring thread on such a mundane subject?

I would like to suggest something, that no doubt would be of imense interest to thousands in Chiang Mai alone'

That being of course, the much discussed topic of what is the proper and ideal age of the eggs used in an American Breakfast, vs those used in an Australian Breakfast.

Edited by Gonzo the Face

Beside the fact that I have no interest in discussing the edibility nor the size of hamburgers, I do think with all the sharp rising prices it isn't surprising when dishes are getting a little less or they charge a bit more. :o

Nienke

Hamburgers have been previously discussed at length on this forum. Mike's was mentioned more than once.

Do you really think it is necessary to start yet another boring thread on such a mundane subject?

I would like to suggest something, that no doubt would be of imense interest to thousands in Chiang Mai alone'

That being of course, the much discussed topic of what is the proper and ideal age of the eggs used in an American Breakfast, vs those used in an Australian Breakfast.

What brand of baked beans are best for a British "fry-up"?

A couple of months ago, Daniel at the Niemenheiman branch explained he had to lower the portion size due to costs. I thought that was reasonable and the present size was adequate - surely not half the previous size. A hamburger set is still a full meal, and you could always order more patties. Mike's has never disappointed me over the years, and to my budget is worth the price. I have had lousy burgers elsewhere.

Maybe we do talk about food too much, but we enjoy eating.

Old Blinky's a little testy, but he's got a point. No worries however, as I think alot of the food threads get folded into the old ones after awhile, maybe even under the pinned CM restaurant topics. Am I correct moderators ?

And as for food size, everybody is cutting back right now. My favorite noodle place had been cutting down the portion of stewed pork (hmu dtun) they threw into their noodle soup until it was only like 4 small chunks. Now they've raised the price another five baht and it's back up to about double that and the meal's adequate. They're all in a jam now.... raise prices and drive ppl away, or skimp and lose patronage that way.

Old Blinky's a little testy, but he's got a point. No worries however, as I think alot of the food threads get folded into the old ones after awhile, maybe even under the pinned CM restaurant topics. Am I correct moderators ?

And as for food size, everybody is cutting back right now. My favorite noodle place had been cutting down the portion of stewed pork (hmu dtun) they threw into their noodle soup until it was only like 4 small chunks. Now they've raised the price another five baht and it's back up to about double that and the meal's adequate. They're all in a jam now.... raise prices and drive ppl away, or skimp and lose patronage that way.

It's been my observation while dining around town, that it's not an either/or proposition. What I find is many places are not only chargingore, but they are also reducing the size of their portions. Additionally, what's most difficult to endure is that many have also reduced the quality of their ingredients.

oh talking of Mike's burgers, I noticed he has a stall now in Central KSK food court, but i also noticed he doesnt provide for us veggies :D If anyone knows Mike, could you maybe put to him to add a veggie burger to his range of burgers? (of course the problem then also is cooking the burgers separate from the meat ones..so maybe he wouldnt be interested or maybe there is also just not much call for veggie burgers. :o )

When I lived in San Francisco, I ate a lot of good veggieburgers, but I haven't found any here.

Aum makes theirs with mushrooms and the y bare about as good as you can get.

in indian cuisine, there is something called "Allu Tikki". The recipe is towards the bottom of the page on the link. It is a perfect "patty" for a veggie burger!

TB..

post-29436-1216018593_thumb.jpg

Edited by tigerbeer

• 3 weeks later...
oh talking of Mike's burgers, I noticed he has a stall now in Central KSK food court, but i also noticed he doesnt provide for us veggies :D If anyone knows Mike, could you maybe put to him to add a veggie burger to his range of burgers? (of course the problem then also is cooking the burgers separate from the meat ones..so maybe he wouldnt be interested or maybe there is also just not much call for veggie burgers. :o )

I don't think "Mike" is involved any more. His deal is that he builds up businesses and then sales them. He sold Mike's before they started franchising and opening up all over the place. He then opened up Miguel's Mexican food place down the street, which he then sold to the current owners now. After that he opened up an In and Out Burger in Hang Dong, but that didn't do well, unfortunately. The food was great, just like the In and Out's us Californians used to get back home, but he was unable to get enough people into the place I guess. I didn't speak to him for a couple months before he sold it, not sure if he has opened up a new place in town yet or if he has moved on. In my opinion the drop in quality at Mike's happened after he sold it.

9 months ago Mikes was excellent - used to go frequently and then suddenly the burgers decreased in size and quality.

I was told Mike had sold up and it was now run by a new owner. I never go to Mikes anymore. A clear example of how to ruin a good business overnight.

There's a sign behind the counter that reads something like 'converting vegetarians since 1988'. I think New Jersey Mike never really had much tolerance for veggies and other alternative lifestyle types - quite a lot of sun gets to the back of his neck.

There's a sign behind the counter that reads something like 'converting vegetarians since 1988'. I think New Jersey Mike never really had much tolerance for veggies and other alternative lifestyle types - quite a lot of sun gets to the back of his neck.

Actually, behind the tough guy New Jersey facade, Hamburger Mike is not only a liberal (look at the other signs in his old place) but quite a fair and nice person. Most of the Thais that have worked for him can't stand him in the beginning - too much yelling - but quickly come to love the guy. I have a friend that does a lot of construction and odd jobs for him and he tells me his staff really respect Mike and look forward to working for him.

It is always a good idea to look inside a book, rather than only at the cover. :D

Edited by Ulysses G.

I am still a fan of all the places Mike started in Chiang Mai. It took me over a year, however, to go in the place because of the exaggerated rumors I heard about his mistreatment of his staff. Finally ran into him at Miguel's, and he was a gentleman and a nice guy. Likewise, when I saw him at In and Out.

I say, find a burger bar or a veggie restaurant or a tofu place - or even a Thai food restaurant or stall - that you like, and keep going back. Which is why I almost always get my burger or Mexican food fix at Mike's and at Miguel's.

Actually, behind the tough guy New Jersey facade, Hamburger Mike is not only a liberal (look at the other signs in his old place) but quite a fair and nice person. Most of the Thais that have worked for him can't stand him in the beginning - too much yelling - but quickly come to love the guy. I have a friend that does a lot of construction and odd jobs for him and he tells me his staff really respect Mike and look forward to working for him.

It is always a good idea to look inside a book, rather than only at the cover. :D

Vegieburger!!!!! That is a perfect oxymoron!

And, let the guy cook what he cooks! Want veggies? No lack of them in Chinag Mai, a Vegematic paradise!

Oy!