Prison visits at bangkwang > julian gilbey

juliangilbey

prison visit at Bangkwang > Julian Gilbey

Its a really nice 45 minute trip up the river to the last stop.

From there its about 500 metres first road on the left.

You can take most things but no cigs to prisoners, especially tioleteries & books/newspapers

If you got some time please consider a river trip.

Its a great way to see BKK & gives an added purpose for the trip. Its very cheap too.

Julian is waiting for his appeal & has been in prison since october 2001

I will post times & days when his sister notifies me

Julian Gilby campaign site

prison information site

Mondays and Wednesdays are visiting for Julian he's in building 2. Mornings are 9.30 to 11.30 you must sign in at least 1/2 an hour before visiting, you need your passport

Afternoons are 1.30 to 2.30 same as morning sign in at least 1/2 hour before

details from sister Karen in Scotland :cool:

• Like 1

Well I saw this and thought I must give my 2 cents......

OK firstly if I were you, I would take your website 'OFF' the internet, and forget about your brother being released from Prison. Firstly, there is a case 'Alan John Davies', out there in BKK, and the thing that has hindered his possible release, is the fact that family etc, have been putting up websites for the world to see. This action enrages the Thai authourities, and 'WILL' harm your brothers chance of early release.

Do all the campagining you like, but get that website 'OFF' the net.

Secondly, about your brothers case........well..........he has got 'NO chance' at all. Im very sorry to say this, but here's how it looks.  Your Brother is caught@BKK airport with Herion in 'HIS' suitcase. OK when he checked in, he awnsered 'YES' to the question...........'did you pack your bag yourself', and he awnsered 'NO' to the question, 'are you carrying anything for anybody else'!

All of which are logged on to the airlines 'check in' computer.

Not only that, but your brother WAS '34 yrs old' when he was arrested, now this is hardly the case of a 'gullible young teenager'. Also you must see this the way myself, and the Thai authorities, and most of the people reading about your brothers case see it.................which is............who the hel_l would be so stupid to take a suitcase through customs without 'CHECKING' it yourself 'FIRST', to see if it really did contain diamonds, and nothing else!!! And to do this in Bangkok of all the places in the world............well.......the mind boggles! The whole thing sounds a bit far fetched to me Im afraid.

Every month the Thai courts hear similar stories 'oh but I didn't know that was in there, even though it was 'ME' who checked that bag in for the flight, and 'YES' that is my suitcase'.................yeah whatever!

I know, its just not fair is it, its wrong, what a great shame the other guy got caught, hmmmm funny how 'HE' got off in Vienna 'AFTER' he grassed up the whole firm back in Bangkok, and gave details of their next assignment. No wonder he was released. Let me put it to you this way, IF your brother had taken a flight to Heathrow airport in London instead of Taiwan. And if he did get out off BKK sucsessfully, but was unfortunate to get caught by 'British Customs' in London.

Do you really think he would have got away with it here, giving the story he did..............NO of course he wouldn't, and for 4 kgs of pure herion, and going not guilty@court (no jury in the world would aqquit him), he would recieve a sentence here of 15yrs!!! But...........because he got caught in Thailand where the conditions are terrible, well...............shame.  

Your brother, at that age and especially since he was working in Thailand, should have known 'better than ANYBODY' out there not to go to airports, doing smuggling jobs for people 'WITHOUT' checking the suitcase he is carrying 'FIRST'.

Don't worry, he wont be executed, but you just better get used to the idea, that his death penalty will be commuted to a 100 year 'life' sentence, or if he's VERY and I mean VERY lucky, he could get 50yrs (but he would have to plead guilty to get that). And at the moment the Thai govt, and even the Thai King, are getting fed up of the ammount of foreigners who are 'stupid', and smuggle drugs out of the country, and the King himself has called for the courts to be tougher on Drug Smugglers, especially the foreign ones. Your brothers case couldn't have happened at a worse time!

You will have to face reality, that your brother will never have these charges dropped, and it will be 9-10 yrs until he can transfer to a British Prison, and he will have to wait (because of his age, and the fact he should have known better), at least another 10 yrs after that before he will be released.

Sorry to be the burden of bad news, but you will just have to get used to it.

ciao :blues:

P.S. I read somewhere that the BBC filmed you out in BKK, for a programme about the British Embassy there, could you be kind enough to tell me when this programme will be on T.V.?

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
If Julian was that gullible to think it was actually diamonds then base your appeal on mental capacity or lack of.  Did he always wait for checks in the mail? If an offer is to good to be true it likely is. Can you imagine 3kilos of diamonds,worth millions of $$$ in a suitcase?  Can't do the time,don't do the crime as the saying goes.

• 3 months later...
Brother - I know you have good intentios but Mr Helper was right with his post.  Bang Kwang Prison and its justice system are deadly serious.  Your brother will only suffer more by angering the authorities.  I've visited Bang Kwang and met first hand with prisoners there.  Your brother needs prayers and the emotional support of his family and friends.

A very sad case indeed, only for the family in my veiw.

A VERY strong reminder that class 'A' drugs bring in the highest profits BUT the sternest sentances from the courts, in Thailand or anywhere eles in the world.

As my old gran once said " Ignorance is bliss but it is no excuse"  

Sev

:cool:

It's just that sort of attitude that means the Embassies are so overloaded. The British Embassy (for example) visits all inmates on a monthly basis taking toiletries, newspapers, and shows a friendly face as well as interfacing to the police, government authorities and families.

This is where the western culture fails to impress when compared to the close nit Thai culture "Thai for Thai". In any legal system there are people that have not been sentenced or have not had their court appearance that are retained (otherwise they would leave the country) . They may be released later or aquitted.

If we had a bit more "Brit for Brit" or "Yank For Yank" I think everones life in Thailand would be better. Lets hope the Thais never adopt this aspect of Western Culture.