Best Place To Learn Thai In Chiang Mai?

keo

I can certainly recommend AUA on Rachadamnern (sorry about the spelling) road, about 100m from Tha Pae gate. They have lots of different options: learn using the roman alphabet; learn using thai characters; learn in classes; have a private teacher, etc...

I did the two basic courses (book 1 and book 2) using the roman alphabet and it was a fantastic experience - really got me speaking and gave me lots of confidence. That was in a class situation, with about twelve people, and it was a fun way to learn. The course, if i remember correctly, lasts for 6 weeks, 2 hours per day - you can choose mornings (10 to 12) or afternoons (2 until 4 I think). When i did it (3 years ago) it was about 4,500 Baht for each 30 hour course.

One last tip. Ask if a course is starting with Khun Boonmark teaching (assuming he is still there!). He was a really funny bloke, having a dig at all nationalities equally, and making us laugh and enjoy the experience. On top of that he has taught the book 1 class so many times that he is able to communicate with you only ever using the words that he has taught you - a very impressive skill! My class enjoyed book 1 so much that we all signed up for book 2, on the understanding that Khun Boonmark taught us!

Even though i work there my recommendation has no bearing whatsoever on being biased!

Just go study at payap university. They do a five week 60 hour course on mon- thurs 9-12.

I did the course before i went to work there. I'm a seasoned English language teacher, now teacher trainer, and i was impressed by their communicative methods they used.

things have politically changed for the worse since then (2003 or so), but i believe they still have much the same teachers.

I don't think aua is a patch on anywhere else. I went there just before payap, admittedly one on one, and it was with a teacher who knew nothing of basic teaching methods. Not necessarily indicative of the others, but nevertheless due to my job i looked at their class syllabuses, and was not impressed.

All my comments pertain to five years ago.

Don't know about Payup. therwise, I have heard several people chat about the following schools.

CMU courses receive somewhat mixed reviews. AUA gets consistently high reviews in all conversations. It requires some dedication.

If you have a life to lead otherwise and want to lighten up, try the inexpensive YMCA courses, which only meet three days a week. There seem to be decent teachers there, but I don't think you should expect the kind of "push" that you get at AUA.

Individual tutors generally seem to go for about 200 - 250 an hour. A lot of the instructors at the different schools take on students independently. Studying with an independent tutor is not reported in several conversations as successful as you might suppose. The group experience --- so long as the group is not too big (optimally up to five- six students) seems to be both valuable and enjoyable.

I tried Payap about a year and a half ago, but i found it too much too intensive for me at the time and about 2weeks before the end of the course I had had enough. I cannot fault the teaching tho! Just wasnt suitable for me as I realised i wanted a more gentle pace.

Ive since done level 1 and level 2 at YMCA as i preferred the pace. (Now I study on my own and with my bf's help). I found YMCA a more gentle introduction, and if you have discipline you can pad it with home study or some private one-to-one tutoring.

I dont know about AUA, so cant comment on that. My recommendations are: If you want intensive, fast paced learning go for Payap. If you want a slower easier pace, go for YMCA.

I can certainly recommend AUA on Rachadamnern (sorry about the spelling) road, about 100m from Tha Pae gate. They have lots of different options: learn using the roman alphabet; learn using thai characters; learn in classes; have a private teacher, etc...

I did the two basic courses (book 1 and book 2) using the roman alphabet and it was a fantastic experience - really got me speaking and gave me lots of confidence. That was in a class situation, with about twelve people, and it was a fun way to learn. The course, if i remember correctly, lasts for 6 weeks, 2 hours per day - you can choose mornings (10 to 12) or afternoons (2 until 4 I think). When i did it (3 years ago) it was about 4,500 Baht for each 30 hour course.

One last tip. Ask if a course is starting with Khun Boonmark teaching (assuming he is still there!). He was a really funny bloke, having a dig at all nationalities equally, and making us laugh and enjoy the experience. On top of that he has taught the book 1 class so many times that he is able to communicate with you only ever using the words that he has taught you - a very impressive skill! My class enjoyed book 1 so much that we all signed up for book 2, on the understanding that Khun Boonmark taught us!

though I entirely recommend the AUA-course, I have to say that there is no course these days using the Thai alphabet (at least not for the beginner level - otherwise I would have done that as I can already read most Thai, but barely speak).

my information is very up-to-date.

the 4200 Baht they charge is for 60 hours actually, not 30.

6 weeks, 2 hours each day, monday to friday (except public holidays).

many classes are fully booked, particularly the beginner courses.

the group is quite big (up to 12 students), but that means there is a lot of interaction between the students and the teacher, which is good and will make u more confident to actually USE what you have learned. and with no doubt, its more fun learning there than at Payap or CMU (though i still consider continuing my studies there once I have achieved a certain level). Ajarn BOONMARK is indeed a juwel of a teacher. a real THAI - means, a lot of sanook while learning, but as well full of knowledge and understanding of Farang culture.... he doesnt only have a good sense of humour, he even has a good sense of irony , which is extremely rare among Thai people....

oh, and the fried-chicken-skewers at the foodstall next door cost just 5 Baht.... :o

One bad thing about AUA is the lack of learning reading and writing along with speaking in the beginning classes. Almost no one wants to learn this initially - which is why AUA and the YMCA don't insist on it - but almost everyone ends up regreting it.

You learn to pronounce all the words wrong and if you decide to go to a reading and writing class later, the wrong pronunciation is already ingrained in your memory.

If you want to speak Thai like Joe Cummings or Andrew Biggs, reading and writing Thai are your only real shot!

though I entirely recommend the AUA-course, I have to say that there is no course these days using the Thai alphabet (at least not for the beginner level - otherwise I would have done that as I can already read most Thai, but barely speak).

the group is quite big (up to 12 students), but that means there is a lot of interaction between the students and the teacher, which is good and will make u more confident to actually USE what you have learned. and with no doubt, its more fun learning there than at Payap or CMU (though i still consider continuing my studies there once I have achieved a certain level). Ajarn BOONMARK is indeed a juwel of a teacher. a real THAI - means, a lot of sanook while learning, but as well full of knowledge and understanding of Farang culture.... he doesnt only have a good sense of humour, he even has a good sense of irony , which is extremely rare among Thai people....

oh, and the fried-chicken-skewers at the foodstall next door cost just 5 Baht.... :o

I agree with the recommendation for AUA. I have taken the speaking & listening courses through level 4 (which is as far as they go) and both of the reading and writing courses there. I have also taken one of Payap's courses and prefer AUA---the teaching is better, AUA is cheaper and there is more chance of being able to continue studying at AUA, because Payap often do not run their classes because of shortage of students. This last factor also affects some of the classes at AUA---the second reading and writing course is sometimes not run through lack of students, and level 4 has only ever been run once---I'm planning to do it again the next time it is run.

In response to the point that there is no beginner level course using Thai alphabet, Reading and Writing I requires fairly little knowledge of Thai, so it would be possible to take it early in your studying.

Neil

"If you want to speak Thai like Joe Cummings or Andrew Biggs, reading and writing Thai are your only real shot!"

And I might add the willingness to make many many mistakes multiple numbers of times before you get it right. The best place to do this of course is while walking the streets every day whilst committing yourself to using your Thai and not falling back on Eng in a panic or for comfort. Real-life use is the only way to really make it happen.

I agree with the recommendation for AUA. I have taken the speaking & listening courses through level 4 (which is as far as they go) and both of the reading and writing courses there. I have also taken one of Payap's courses and prefer AUA---the teaching is better, AUA is cheaper and there is more chance of being able to continue studying at AUA, because Payap often do not run their classes because of shortage of students. This last factor also affects some of the classes at AUA---the second reading and writing course is sometimes not run through lack of students, and level 4 has only ever been run once---I'm planning to do it again the next time it is run.

In response to the point that there is no beginner level course using Thai alphabet, Reading and Writing I requires fairly little knowledge of Thai, so it would be possible to take it early in your studying.

Neil

I'd also recommend AUA to an extent, If you can get in Khun Boonmark's class. I had him for my level 1 class and not only did I learn a great deal but thoroughly enjoyed the course. Subsequent private lessons and courses with other teachers ranged from mediocre to terrible. I'm not going to give the teachers names :D

As for reading and writing I believe this is something that can be done to some extent in your own time, it is a very logical system once you get to grips with it - I progressed fairly well with Linguaphones Thai reading and writing booklet but alas as I'm a lazy sod I didn't keep up my study and now have been overtaken in aptitude by my 4 year old son :D

Edited by anonymouse

Based on an old article in CityLife Magazine, comments from friends who tried more than one course, etc., I decided to take it easy and cheap, and I failed. I took the intro 6 week course at the YMCA and quit halfway through, frustrated. My fault. I was not putting in the effort - basically just going to class with a less than perfect attitude. I doubt you can learn a very foreign language at the rate of six hours per week. I also doubt that the correct pronunciation was taught or stressed. I say, give it your best shot, such as ten or more hours per week, plus do your homework. Good luck.

Are there no year long Thai courses? When I asked about visas someone told me to get a year long non-ed and study thai

You can do the "Academic" Thai course at Payap (not the so-called "Intensive" course) and get an ed visa. My understanding is that you have to sign up for two terms. It is quite expensive---much more so than AUA. AUA will provide you a letter for immigration/consulate, but say that this may not get you the visa. However, I met several people studying at AUA who had got an ed visa on this basis, so it is worth talking to them.

Neil

• 1 month later...
You can do the "Academic" Thai course at Payap (not the so-called "Intensive" course) and get an ed visa. My understanding is that you have to sign up for two terms. It is quite expensive---much more so than AUA. AUA will provide you a letter for immigration/consulate, but say that this may not get you the visa. However, I met several people studying at AUA who had got an ed visa on this basis, so it is worth talking to them.

Neil

Folks, i got a Tourist Visa at the Thai embassy with AUA's letter because it was addressed to my name rather than to the embassy.

If i continue to study at AUA CM after this 60 hour course, then i have to leave LOS to get another tourist visa.

Despite the better reputation of AUA compared to other schools, those who are hoping to get an ED visa like me,

pls take note of AUA CM's no visa policy. So what is the use of the letter?

From AUA CM's website:

http://www.auathailand.org/chiangmai/ThaiLanguage.html

AUA is not authorized by the Thai Government to offer anyone the student's visa. Upon request and 50 percent deposit of the whole tuition fee, we would issue only a letter addressing to the student's name and saying that he is accepted as an AUA student for the specific period. The letter will be sent to the student, not to the Embassy or Consulate. However, this kind of letter may not prove as enough evidence in some places. Should you need the letter from AUA, please check well with the Embassy/Consulate.

having no previous formal learning in the language is this still good choice

I suggest that people trying to play visa games shove off. Otherwise, it really depends on how much time and money you want to spend as well as the skills of individual teachers. That is a personal thing you can't pick up from collective experience except to say that AUA, YMCA, Payap, and CMU courses are legitimate.

• 5 months later...
  • 10 months later...

I've been studying with a guy that runs the Banpasa school for the last 3 months... pretty solid instruction. Not the most strict teacher in the world but I've learned a lot from him.

Since he's not well known or easy to find i'll include a link to his website at: learn thai in chiang mai

I also had a good experience at Payap University... studying first with Ajarn Om in Thai 1 and then Ajarn Ray in the Thai 2 class. Expensive but you're getting 3 hours a day 5 days a week and the classes are small.

Tried YMCA for a month and loved that but classes only meet M,W,F for the lower level classes and move pretty slowly. They do offer pretty cheap private instruction too though, which is nice if you don't mind going to them.

In my experience with those 3 you can't go wrong, just gotta see which one works for you.

Edited by Nash

From my personal experience I also recommend buying Jim Higbie's ESSENTIAL THAI and his book on grammar. My AUA experience was okay but I think that depends upon which teacher you end up with and you don't get to choose. Unlike the other writers I was not impressed with Ajarn Boonmark. I suggest finding a non-English speaking Thai friend and chat away. You will soon find out how good your Thai is.

I have been studying Thai for the last year.

Started at AUA, Boonmark is great, the other teachers are crap.

Then tried Walen, the teachers are very inexperienced, the course very expensive.

Moved to YMCA, the teachers are all competent and experienced, course is cheap.

I have not found any educational establishment with both talented and experienced teachers. BoonMark at AUA was the best language teacher I have ever had BUT the school won't tell you what teacher is taking a course until after you have paid the money (guess why). I won't go to AUA again unless I know it is Boonmark, some of the ladies there are truly horrendous and seem to hate their jobs and the students. AUA is the only place I have ever met really rude Thai people, and I won't pay for that sort of experience. I know many people who echo my experiences at AUA, many seem to be learning at YMCA now.

CM Uni, don't go on the Visa course, I'm told by a person who paid for it that it's a fake, you get a Visa but no education.

Edited by pjclark1