Website Operation & Promotion

MikeWill

As not all links are equal, as the hits counted by the AXS Visitor Tracking System (AXS) are not equal to the hits reported by the host server.

First and most important difference is that you (the webmaster) can determine which hits and which pages will be counted and reported.

When some page is requested by the visitor's browser, this request is sent to the server and depending on data that page composed of, all of its data (files) is sent and counted by the server. The server will count several requests. The AXS, on the other hand will count just 1 request only for that page (if you decided to count it) and will report it together with:

- timing of the request (i.e. visit)

- IP address that initiated that request

- URL of the requested page

- referral URL, if any

- referral keywords of the quiry

and more, including the browser info.

The AXS is able to combine several hits from the same IP, so to show the route that visitor take through the site.

In addition to the referral URLs, the AXS can also count the hits from email messages as well. It is helpful, if one want to advertise its site through email.

Here's how the typical requst looks:

A visitor from user-6535.l1.c5.dsl.pol.co.uk (81.76.25.135) was logged once,

starting at 22:57:00 on Thursday, November 11, 2004.

The initial browser was Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1).

This visitor first arrived from www.google.co.uk movie clips cultural gestures 1-10

and visited www.th4u.com/culture.htm

The "movie clips cultural gestures" was the search phrase, and Google find my site which was ranked on the first results' page (i.e. 1-10 - among first ten sites).