Thai Troops Enter Disputed Territory On Thai-cambodian Border

sriracha john

that Tourism and Sports guy is back again in the news...

Tourism and Sports Minister calls on media not to cover dispute over Preah Vihear

The Tourism and Sports Minister Weerasak Kowsurat called on the media not to propagate news about the Preah Vihear Temple case because such news could exacerbate the situation between Thailand and Cambodia.

- ThaiNews

==========================================================================

At least he's getting the appropriate end of chang...

assofchang.jpg

Tourism and Sports Minister Weerasak Kowsurat

News is news and you can't gag the press but there's an ounce of truth in what he says.

It is in Thailand's best interests that the temple has become a World Heritage Site as almost all the tourists gain access from Thailand. The clock cannot be put back and the temple is irrevocably in Cambodia.

The Thais would do best to co-operate in developing the temple for tourism in every way possible and ironically that is what the government did in signing a memorandum of agreement with the Cambodians. Sadly the correct procedure was not apparently followed and the opposition have politicised the issue and fomented an international incident.

It's all very sad and I feel so sorry for all the small traders and amputees at the temple who now lose their livelihoods as the temple is closed to the Thais.

When mutual co-operation is so obviously in everyone's best interest it is bizarre that human affairs take so strange a turn. I just hope it soon falls out of the news and simmers down.

• Replies 666
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's no stopping this guy... he's on a roll...

Tourism Minister: No Promotion for Preah Vihear Temple Visits

The Tourism and Sports minister will not promote Preah Vihear Temple to visitors to Thailand, as he is concerned about the feelings of Thai nationals after UNESCO ruled to allow Cambodia to register the sanctuary as a World Heritage site.

Regarding Cambodia listing Preah Vihear Temple as a World Heritage site, Tourism and Sports Minister Weerasak Kowsurat said it means everyone on the globe should be allowed to visit this ancient site.

However, he admitted that there is a conflict among Thai people on the issue, so the ministry will not promote the tourism of Preah Vihear Temple at the moment, but will focus on providing historical information about the sanctuary and promote visits to nearby sightseeing locations instead.

Weerasak revealed that the number of tourists has not decreased in the first half of 2008, compared to the same period last year. He said the ministry will adjust the administration's plan for the tourism industry, to cope with expensive gasoline because long-distance travelers are affected by the situation.

He expects that Thailand will gain more tourists from neighboring countries.

The Tourism and Sports Minister added that Thai kickboxing or Muay Thai will be promoted for Thai tourism as well.

- Thailand Outlook

Find it interesting that there is no rules in Thailand against ministers performing what we swedes call 'ministerial govern', basically a minister going in and using their authority to govern things, example a minister of foreign affairs having their assistant contacting an ISP to have a web-page removed due to it upsetting a foreign country/group.

According to the Thai tv news of aound 10 mins ago. One of the 3 Thais stood on a land mine about 4 Kilometers from the temple. He is recovering in hospital.

It wasn't one of the three who crossed, but one of the troops...

Thai soldiers crossing border hit land mine in Cambodia, Captain injured

At least one soldier of a Thai army patrol squad was injured while the team entered a disputed area near Thai-Cambodia border and hit a land mine near the controversial Preah Vihear Temple on Tuesday afternoon.

Initial investigation said the Captain of the squad was injured on the leg during the blast, a source from the Thai army told Xinhua.

Earlier Tuesday, three Thai protestors were arrested by the Cambodia authorities as they were claimed illegally crossed the border into the Preah Vihear Temple. After the arrests, tensions rose on the border as some reports said dozens of Thai armed personel have entered into the Preah Vihear Temple.

- Xinhua

Come on everyone.... :o A few border guards crossed over to the temple, probably to collect the 3 Thais who illigally went over. Very minor... Again media taking things out of proportion as they do with everything thesedays.......

When Troops from one country go into another country tointerfer with teir legal system its a very serious matter, unless ofcourse your american or british and feel that you are the unappointed policemen of the world and then you can invade a country kill and rob that country without decalring war and the world does nothing.

United Nations? What a waste of money that organisation is!

Yes I am british.

roy gsd

Edited by roygsd

Ironically, just before the :o .... the government mouthpiece reported...

Tourism and Sports Minister says Preah Vihear issue will not affect tourism between Thailand and Cambodia

Tourism and Sports Minister Weerasak Kowsurat says the listing of the Preah Vihear temple as a World Heritage site will not affect tourism between Thailand and Cambodia.

The minister says Thai people still carry different notions on the listing of the Preah Vihear temple although UNESCO has approved Cambodia's bid to register the temple as World Heritage. The ministry will therefore educate Thai people about the history of Preah Vihear. The minister affirms the number of tourists between Thailand and Cambodia during the first six months of this year has not decreased but continuously increased comparing with the same period of last year.

- ThaiNews

Interesting! Thai tourism agents have just anounced the cancelation of at least 1,000 tours to Cambodia by Thai tourists .

that Tourism and Sports guy is back again in the news...

Tourism and Sports Minister calls on media not to cover dispute over Preah Vihear

The Tourism and Sports Minister Weerasak Kowsurat called on the media not to propagate news about the Preah Vihear Temple case because such news could exacerbate the situation between Thailand and Cambodia.

- ThaiNews

==========================================================================

At least he's getting the appropriate end of chang...

assofchang.jpg

Tourism and Sports Minister Weerasak Kowsurat

Tells news media not to report the news. An interesting concept and one that when practiced by a government is known as censorship. It will be interesting if in light of this call for censorship if the state run media will now not mention that temple any more.

They can desist or take the Óther'choice .

Tempest in a temple

Cambodia released three Thais who were detained on Tuesday while apparently trying to "liberate" Preah Vihear temple. But 17 Thai border troops caught in the area will be held overnight, government spokesman Khieu Kanharith said.

Bangkok Post Bangkok Post

17 Thai troops are being held overnight. Previous articles and statements from the government stated they were close, but never crossed the border. Will they ever stop lying to the people? It is obvious, they were illegally in Cambodia, but at whose request?

Perhaps this entire brouhaha will at least allow the Thai education system and the Thai press to finally allow the discussion of the tremendous influence that classical Khmer culture had upon the once newly emerging Thai culture. I am always dumbstruck by the ignorance of Thai people who refuse to acknowledge that Thai culture is, for all intents and purposes, a derivative of Khmer culture. This influence continues today with the re-emergence of the concept of the devaraja.

They are not finished with this just yet.... not by a wide margin...

Cambodia says further Thai troops trespass in temple feud

Tensions flared Tuesday on Cambodia's border with Thailand, as a Thai soldier was injured by a landmine and about 100 Thai troops were held :D near an ancient temple in a territorial dispute.

Officials in both countries called the incident a misunderstanding that occurred after the soldiers went to fetch three Thai protesters arrested earlier in the day for jumping an immigration checkpoint to reach the Preah Vihear temple.

But later a Cambodian government spokesman said the Thai troops were being held until further talks could resolve the stand-off.

"We have not allowed the Thai troops to go back yet, and now more have arrived," spokesman Khieu Kanharith said.

The Thai army ranger who stepped on a landmine was released for treatment after the blast ripped off his leg :D , Khieu Kanharith said.

A Thai military official told AFP that the ranger's leg was amputated after he stepped on the landmine close to the 900-year-old temple, but insisted that the troops had not crossed into Cambodia.

Khieu Kanharith said Cambodian Prime Minister Hun Sen has ordered troops to withhold firing unless fired upon first.

"There's no tension. :o No one is yelling at each other. We have asked them to stay there for a while," the spokesman said.

"We need to find out more and let them know how they got the border wrong. If they had intended to invade, we would have used our weapons."

The Governor of the Thai province across from the temple, Seni Chittakasem, said he had led a delegation into Cambodia to secure the release of the three protesters, insisting the soldiers had remained nearby but on Thai territory.

"All three detainees have been released and now are on the Thai side," he added.

The protesters -- one man, one woman and a Buddhist monk -- are part of a group calling themselves Dharmayatra.

They had placed wooden planks over barbed wire on the border to get across, vowing to reclaim the temple, which the World Court handed over to Cambodia in a 1962 ruling.

But the temple's most accessible entrance is at the foot of a mountain in Thailand.

Cambodia closed the main border crossing leading to that entrance after about 100 Thai protesters tried to march to the site on June 23.

The temple has provoked a political firestorm in Thailand, where a constitutional court overruled the government's support for Cambodia's bid to win World Heritage status for the ruins.

Foreign minister Noppadon Pattama was forced to resign in the ensuing scandal and the entire cabinet is now threatened with possible impeachment motions.

Despite the controversy, last week the UN's cultural agency UNESCO awarded the temple World Heritage status in recognition of its importance as an example of ancient Khmer architecture.

- AFP

Troops, mine blast, protests shake temple

Allegations are that Thai troops crossed over into Cambodia

Tension between Thailand and Cambodia over a territorial dispute flared up again yesterday, with allegations by Cambodia that Thai troops crossed illegally into Cambodian territory.

Meanwhile, a paratrooper from the Ranger Unit 2301 assigned to oversee areas leading to the 10th-century-AD Preah Vihear Temple stepped on a landmine, resulting in the loss of his right leg.

It was not clear who placed the explosive in the disputed area or whether it was a remnant of decades of civil war among Cambodian factions that often spilled over onto the Thai side of the border.

Security officials declined to speculate as to who might be behind the placing of the device along the border area that has yet to be demarcated.

Regarding the troop crossing, Agence France-Presse quoted Hang Soth, the Cambodian official who manages a border crossing, as saying that at Preah Vihear Temple, about 40 Thai troops entered Cambodia early yesterday morning.

It was not clear if the crossing was related to the three Thai protesters who had been detained by Cambodian authorities for jumping an immigration checkpoint in a bid to reach the ruins.

Preah Vihear has been the focus of an decades-long dispute between the two countries.

Local authorities said the three had crossed into the Preah Vihear temple ground "to meditate" at the ancient temple as a way to display their objection to the temple becoming a World Heritage site.

"At first about 20 troops entered a pagoda in Cambodian territory. Later they increased their numbers to about 40," Hang Soth was quoted as saying.

"We don't yet understand why they came."

None of the Thai authorities were aware of the alleged crossing by the troops.

- The Nation

Edited by sriracha john

This is an overblown nationalist-fueled feeding frenzy. I agree with Jopha above that perhaps this situation will cause some reflection on the influence of Khmer and even Mon culture on Thailand, but somehow I doubt it. I think it's jealousy run amok fed by the factions' bid for power of which none have the best interests of the Thai people in mind.

I agree that Cambodia should prosecute the trespassers to the full extent of the law. They wouldn't have it any differently if it were Thailand.

This is an overblown nationalist-fueled feeding frenzy. I agree with Jopha above that perhaps this situation will cause some reflection on the influence of Khmer and even Mon culture on Thailand, but somehow I doubt it. I think it's jealousy run amok fed by the factions' bid for power of which none have the best interests of the Thai people in mind.

I agree that Cambodia should prosecute the trespassers to the full extent of the law. They wouldn't have it any differently if it were Thailand.

First they'll have to prove they trespassed. The RTA says the troops entered a 4.6 sq-km section still in dispute. In fact there are still several stretches of Thai-Cambodian still without demarcations.

Sovereignty over the Preah Vihear temple, which is located on the two countries' border, has been long been a contentious issue. The core dispute was officially settled in 1962 by the International Court of Justice (ICJ), which determined that the temple belongs to Cambodia. Crucially, however, the ICJ did not rule on the overlapping claims to 4.6 sq km of land surrounding the temple, and the two sides have yet to reach any agreement on the matter.
Source: The Economist

That particular patch of land is considered to be quite strategic, militarily, by both countries. Whoever controls that point has a protected crosshairs view of the Cambodian plains below.

Well Shiva is the Lord of Destruction. Fitting place to start a war.

:o

First they'll have to prove they trespassed. The RTA says the troops entered a 4.6 sq-km section still in dispute. In fact there are still several stretches of Thai-Cambodian still without demarcations.

Sovereignty over the Preah Vihear temple, which is located on the two countries' border, has been long been a contentious issue. The core dispute was officially settled in 1962 by the International Court of Justice (ICJ), which determined that the temple belongs to Cambodia. Crucially, however, the ICJ did not rule on the overlapping claims to 4.6 sq km of land surrounding the temple, and the two sides have yet to reach any agreement on the matter.
Source: The Economist

That particular patch of land is considered to be quite strategic, militarily, by both countries. Whoever controls that point has a protected crosshairs view of the Cambodian plains below.

Thanks SJ. I feel special with all of the attention. :D

declare the whole area no mans land - fence it off and send un-troops in - it's nut's!

sell it to Disney World. They can dissemble it and reassemble it in Orlando.

ok, not funny, but the hot-heads might keep in mind that it's a Hindu temple - erected way before silly man-made borders came about in dem parts.

Find it interesting that there is no rules in Thailand against ministers performing what we swedes call 'ministerial govern', basically a minister going in and using their authority to govern things, example a minister of foreign affairs having their assistant contacting an ISP to have a web-page removed due to it upsetting a foreign country/group.

First I've heard of top level Thai minister contacting an ISP to meddle in having an web page removed. 2 months ago, I loaded an anti-nuclear paper that looks unflatteringly at EGAT (Thailand's gov't run electricity co.). It was viewable for about three weeks, then became unviewable. I since loaded an updated version on another URL where it should be viewable now. Old URL: sabaibooks.com/nuke1.pdf new URL: adventure1.com/nuke1.pdf I seriously wondered whether some heavies in the Thai gov't had meddled with the earlier URL. Now my suspicions are rekindled by TAWP's note.

Thai foreign ministry dismisses reports that Thai military personnel entered Cambodia

BANGKOK, July 16 (Xinhua) -- Thailand's Foreign Ministry late Tuesday issued a statement, denying reports that some Thai military personnel went into Cambodian territory in the vicinity of the Temple of Preah Vihear which stands in a disputed area near Thai-Cambodia border.

Tharit Charungvat, the ministry's spokesman, said in the statement that Thailand would like to dismiss rumors that Thai military personnel entered into Cambodian territory.

"It is true that we introduce a few para-military personnel into the border area within Thai territory today (Tuesday). But this is only to ensure that the current protest by a group of Thai people in the area, about their beliefs on territorial claims, be done in an orderly manner," Tharit responded in the statement.

"The Royal Thai Army in the region has already coordinated closely with their Cambodian counterpart to prevent any misunderstanding," he said.

Earlier Tuesday, three Thai protesters were arrested by the Cambodian authorities as they were claimed illegally crossed the border into the Preah Vihear Temple. After the arrest, tensions rose as some reports said dozens of Thai armed personnel have entered into the Preah Vihear Temple.

Cambodian authorities earlier said the trio would be prosecuted for illegal entry. However, they were released by the Cambodian authorities hours after the arrest.

The border has been tense since Cambodia's successful registration of Preah Vihear Temple, which straddles the Thai-Cambodian border atop the Dangrek Mountain, as a World Heritage site this month.

Thailand's Foreign Minister Noppadon Pattama resigned Thursday after the Constitutional Court ruled that he had overstepped his authority in supporting Cambodia's application to have the temple classified as a World Heritage Site.

Cambodia started seeking the status of World Heritage Site for the temple in 2001, hoping for influx of tourists and international funding that normally accompanies the designation.

In 1962, the International Court of Justice awarded the 11-century classic Khmer-style temple and the land it occupies to Cambodia, a decision therefore rankling Thais.

=========================================================================

In light of the Foreign Ministry position, then I hope the 100 Thai troops being detained in Thailand by Cambodian troops are well taken care of in their own country by a foreign Army.

I couldn't understand why the Thai news reports are so biased on this subject. Speaking to my friend today, he was going on about the Cambodians and their "thirst" for war. I asked him where he got that. The Television news he replied. So I had a little look around (with thanks to the BBC) and discovered that news is basically controlled by the government or the military;

Television

-Thai TV3- operated by the Mass Communications Organization of Thailand (MCOT), a government agency

-TV5 - owned by Royal Thai Army

- BBTV Channel 7- owned by Royal Thai Army

-Modernine (Channel 9) - operated by government agency MCOT

- Television of Thailand (TVT) Channel 11 - operated by National Broadcasting Services of Thailand (NBT), part of government Public Relations Department

Radio

- Radio Thailand- national network and external service operated by National Broadcasting Services of Thailand (NBT), part of government Public Relations Department

- MCOT Radio Network - run by government agency MCOT; operates stations in Bangkok and provincial networks

- Army Radio - network owned by Royal Thai Army

News agency

- Thai News Agency - run by MCOT (as per above)

Would I then be jumping to conclusions if I was to believe that all of the lopsided and inaccurate reporting is an intentional act?

I read the news item about the Thai Ranger stepping on a land mine and losing his leg. If I'm not mistaken, the injury is consistent with an anti-personnel mine right? They can kill but more often than not you lose a limb and other body parts. That's why you see all those people walking around Afghanistan missing a limb etc. Due to the location and injury, obviously this wasn't an anti tank mine and most likely not a remote controlled claymore or booby trap, right?

Now, suppose I take the Thai government at its word (humour me), that the Thai troops were in Thailand. Would I be incorrect in believing that the Thai government now has has a bigger issue on its hands ? Something called the Ottawa Treaty. Thailand signed the treaty on Dec. 3, 1997. With that signature, Thailand pledged to give up all anti personnel mines. It is also a reqirement of the treaty that any areas that were mined had to be cleared within 10 years following the signature, or a special extension had to be requested. I am unaware of Thailand requesting the extension. Does this mean that Thailand has violated the treaty? After all, the Thai troops were on Thai soil.

Cambodia signed on the same date and it is still demining areas.

Putting aside the issue of the sovereignty, surely some genius in either Thailand or cambodia would have given such a high tourist traffic area to receive priority for a demining procedure? Or were they just waiting for errant visitors to set off the mines to clear them out? Someone's got some explaining to do in both countries.

If you head towards the temple through the Thai national park area you’ll see signs warning of land mines from way inside Thailand. These are supposed to have been left over from the Pol Pot days.

Also along the stream where you cross into the Khmer side there are land mine warning signs. I’m surprised the protesters who crossed through the wire didn’t find one.

The Halo trust was busy demining the areas near the temple the last time I visited and even then they had plenty of areas left to clear.

Congratulations for starting a problem East while there is still one down South.

Noppadol, Coward the Great's favorite lawyer/servant has followed his master's footsteps and orders to the letter, then resigned as Foreign Minister and leaves a fresh pile of sh!t, just like his master so often did and still does. Everything they touch...

If Cambodia is right, then, I hope the 100 Thai troops being detained in Cambodia by Cambodian troops are OK this morning...

If Thailand is right, then, I hope the 100 Thai troops not detained in Cambodia by Cambodian troops enjoyed their morning exercise routine in Thailand.

Irregardless of who is right, I hope Captain Vilai Arom rested well last night and I wish him the best of luck in recovering from his amputated leg...

Boonsrang urges border calm

Supreme Commander Gen Boonsrang Niempradit has urged people protesting in Si Saket over the Preah Vihear temple controversy not to escalate the tensions with Cambodia after three Thais crossed into the disputed border area. Cambodian government spokesman Khiew Kanharith said that Thai troops had crossed over into Cambodian territory to help the three protesters. But Foreign Ministry spokesman Tharit Charungvat denied that Thai troops had intruded on Cambodian soil. Lt-Gen Nipat Thonglek, head of the Border Affairs Department, said the protesters posed no harm to Cambodia as they protested peacefully by meditating. Khieu Kanharith was quoted as saying in Phnom Penh that 170 Thai troops and civilians had crossed into Cambodian territory. He said a group of Thai soldiers were being detained inside Cambodia and would be there overnight. But a reliable Thai source dismissed his account, saying there were no Thai troops under detention in Cambodia.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.net/160708_News/16Jul2008_news01.php

Edited by sriracha john