Helping A Small Thai Village

mistergeorge

Good for you ThaiAm. My wife and i also have contributed to the village school our children attend. We provided the library with large teak tables, playground equipment and the music program with acoustic guitars. We also contributed towards cementing the playground so the kids did not have to play in the dirt. There are several thing that can be done for the schools that would benefit the village for years to come.

I wonder if they would do the same for you if you were broke and in dire need.

Harsh but fair :o

Good for you ThaiAm. My wife and i also have contributed to the village school our children attend. We provided the library with large teak tables, playground equipment and the music program with acoustic guitars. We also contributed towards cementing the playground so the kids did not have to play in the dirt. There are several thing that can be done for the schools that would benefit the village for years to come.

The real pleasure is in the given.

As soon as you have gone, they will sell the cattle and get pis sed on sangthip, Believe me.

Maybe that is just what you would do?

Perhaps you should check out this part of the forum :o

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/drink-Forum-f98.html

No I wouldn't .

But there are many better ways to help out the local community, something that is fixed,something that once done they can't or wouldn't sell it.

Maybe consider a well?

Books for the school would be money well spent?

Many more examples could be considered, but cattle...... no way.

As soon as you have gone, they will sell the cattle and get pis sed on sangthip, Believe me.

No I wouldn't .

But there are many better ways to help out the local community, something that is fixed,something that once done they can't or wouldn't sell it.

Maybe consider a well?

I recently moved to the city after spending five years in a Thai village. I would say the appropriateness of the gift will be determined by conditions on the ground - after all every village has its own character. This is why I suggested speaking to the village head. I worked in a village school and think that buying books for the school could be tricky unless you understand the student's needs. It is important to allow the villagers some responsibility though as they are not children.

No I wouldn't .

Maybe consider a well?

I agree. Buying cattle might seem like a good idea but it isn't. Buying books for the school or sponsoring some kids education is a better idea.

The real pleasure is in the given.

In the ideal world, yes.

The grim reality is - a farang with nothing to give is out on a limb there.

qwertz probably being naieve but for one i believe the majority would.

I have to agree with ' thaihome'.

You will certainly stir up the petty jealousies in the village. You would be better appreciated if you donated (not money) something tangible for the local kindergarden like swings or sleeping mats, alternatively donate to the village wat' perhaps chairs and tables which the village can brorow for the many get togethers.

My wife and family have just recently sold of cows and they where sold for less than 3000 bhat per head. The prices are down because Thaskin gave interest free loans to the villagers resulting in a spending spree in the cow market.

tread warily

Cheers

Lots of farangs buy buffalos, maybe they can help. :D

But those are SICK BUFFAROS from farang's girlfriend families. :o:D

Ooooh!

Go figure - I didn't know.

Why are they sick?

'sick buffaro' has been a favorite line for Thai b/g. As you all heard 'this line' has been repeated to farangs thousands times. :D:D

qwertz probably being naieve but for one i believe the majority would.

Some people land in dire straits there through no fault of their own.

I've seen it happen many times and I've helped, as much as I could, because farangs should help farangs there - nobody else will.

Believe me, your "chai dee" counts for nothing once your pockets are empty.

However, respect for your faith in human nature, don't ever lose it.

P.S. Tink, re sick bovines, I never heard that one from a Thai. I thought it was just a farang joke.

Edited by qwertz

Hi from Australia.

I want to help out a small village I visited south of Khon Kaen this year. I basically want to buy some cows (beef) for them as a gift, maybe 10 or 20 head.

Can anyone point me in the right direction where I can buy them or at least what the cost would be.

I was told by a Thai person that I could buy 5 cows for approx 25,000 baht. I plan to visit again soon and want to get my math right before I do.

Any help would be great.

Cheers.

An honourable and very decent, kind hearted gesture - my hat off to you. But I have to tell you (against the background of over 25 years living and working in the North East full time - farming to be exact), you are wasting your money - it is as simple as that.

Hi from Australia.

I want to help out a small village I visited south of Khon Kaen this year. I basically want to buy some cows (beef) for them as a gift, maybe 10 or 20 head.

Can anyone point me in the right direction where I can buy them or at least what the cost would be.

I was told by a Thai person that I could buy 5 cows for approx 25,000 baht. I plan to visit again soon and want to get my math right before I do.

Any help would be great.

Cheers.

An honourable and very decent, kind hearted gesture - my hat off to you. But I have to tell you (against the background of over 25 years living and working in the North East full time - farming to be exact), you are wasting your money - it is as simple as that.

If you listen to nobody else, OP, listen to this man.

He's been there and done it.

:o

You say you want to buy some cattle for a "village". Who would actually own these cattle? Thai villages are not communes, and from my experience they tend to be hot beds of envy and petty jealousies. You attempting to give an entire village some cattle would probably cause serious political and social problems within the community. If you were to pick one family for your largesse, they would either proceed to lord their new wealth over the rest of the village or become the victims of a campaign of gossip and backstabbing(or most likely both).

TH

I was thinking along the same lines too. It can backfire in a bad way. My cousin went to a small village in Europe for holidays every year, and what he did was buy a new pump for the community well. Everybody benifited and everyone was happy. When everyone benifits, it really does keep the peace. Very noble of you to want to help out. The world needs more of you.

Ere ere, very noble but I agree and think maybe it would create a problem of ownership, My wife once gave a gift ob books and toys etc to a small school, this way the benificiaries are the villages children. Good luck to you I believe you truly deserve it. :D