Canadian Family Demands Justice For Pai Killing

george

Father seeks justice in son's 2008 murder in Thailand

The father of a Calgary man killed in Thailand says the Canadian government has let him down. Leo Del Pinto was shot while vacationing near the Thai town of Pai in 2008. His alleged killer, Uthai Dechawiwat, an off-duty Thai police officer, was released on bail.

During his release on bail, Dechawiwat murdered his pregnant wife and is now serving a life sentence. Dechawiwat’s trial in the death of Leo Del Pinto is still ongoing. On Thursday afternoon, Del Pinto's father, Ernie Del Pinto, met with Canada’s Minister of State for Foreign Affairs, Calgary MP Diane Ablonczy.

"As far as I am concerned this is not going to stop for me," says Ernie Del Pinto. "This is going to continue on and somebody has got to be responsible, be it the Thai government or the Canadian government for not pushing the Thai government as hard as they should, and especially the person who was trigger happy."

Read more: http://calgary.ctvnews.ca/ernie-del-pinto-seeks-justice-in-son-s-2008-murder-in-thailand-1.1117442#ixzz2ICQEw3jf

CTV News - January 17, 2013

Edited by Buchholz

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Without pressure I am sure we all know that nothing will ever happen. What is worse, the Thai government letting the police bury it or the the foreign government being disinterested?

Foreign government apathy and disinterest in seeking justice for their murdered citizens just encourages the local attitude to continue. That of course doesn't help any of us here.

The real mission of diplomatic missions is to keep trade relationships humming. Providing help for expats or their survivors will always be way down the list.

You can't keep trade relations humming if a country stops buying another countries products due to a crime. Especially when the crime is committed by an employee of a governement who is indifferent... At some point the gritty work needs to be done to keep things "humming."

True enough. Doesn't seem to matter which gov't is in power (in Canada), unless it's politically expedient, or the center of media attention, little more than "lip service" will be rendered.

One has to remember at the same time though, that there is little Canada could do in this case anyways. It can't force the Thai gov't to do anymore than it is doing.

The case isn't important enough, and Canada doesn't have much in the way of leverage that it could use to try and convince Thailand to do more.

What do people actually think the Canadian government can do ? Fire off a strongly worded letter of protest ? Threaten economic sanctions ? Go to the UN ? Threaten air strikes ? Not likely in any case.

I mean seriously, what do you think Canada can actually do ? The answer is, not much. Period.

And quite frankly, most nations tend to take a dim view of foreign interference in their judicial matters. Attempts to pressure Thailand into taking more action could just as easily back-fire, and result in even less effort to resolve the case than is apparent now. Making comments like this:

"I want their tourism to hurt"

is not going to win them any friends or favourtism in Thai eyes.

I may be a wee bit too cynical, but I wonder just what the purpose of the "Justice for Leo" fund-raising campaign is.

Seize all Thai owned assets in Canada, Expel all Thai passport holders from Canada.

Forbid Canadians from traveling to Thailand. Stop all Thai currency transactions in Canada.

How's that for a start?

Edited by TommoPhysicist
  • Like 1

I lost my 18 year old son through an accident. Completely different situation.

But my grief was massive. I missed him very much as we were just starting to form a good relationship,

The accident would not have happened if I had not made a last minute decision to stay home instead of going to Vancouver with him.

To me it seems that all the striving to fight city hall is just another way to hang on to the grief.

Every persons feelings are different. For my self it took around three years for the pain to pass at seven years i was telling a friend about an incident that happened when he first started work with the company I was working for. As I was recalling it the tears started to come to my eyes.

I can not imagine keeping in my mind on the conscious level for five years. It is a hard thing to do but there comes a time when we have to get on with are own life and accept the loss of another hard as it may be.

I feel for his loss and for him. It is a formidable task to get over the grief.

hellodolly:

"To me it seems that all the striving to fight city hall is just another way to hang on to the grief." I am fortunate in never having been in this situation so I speak from a different perspective but must say that I cannot agree with your statement.

If this scumbag had killed my son there would be no way that I would rest until he was properly brought to justice for this actions, I would spend every awake moment and do everything in my power in pursuing this, I would never give up. Of course there is more than one way to solve this inaction on the part of the Thai government - and an avenue that could be worth serious consideration.

• Like 1

My condolences to the family of the deceased, I hope they see justice soon. The off duty policeman who killed thier son is serving a life sentence for the murder of his pregnant wife, so he shouldn't be going anywhere soon.

Hellodolly, my deepest condolences on your loss. You have experienced one of the worst things that life has to deal out to people.

Thank you.

I have met several people who have gone through it and survived. A friend of mine couldent work for a year. The most important thing is to accept it and let the pain pass. A real long time consuming process. It has been over 24 years and I still stop by the grave when I am in Vancouver just a nod and a hello. To be honest when I wrote that I was feeling a little choked up. Two reasons 1 I miss him and 2 it brings back some of the good memories of times we had together.

hellodolly:

"To me it seems that all the striving to fight city hall is just another way to hang on to the grief." I am fortunate in never having been in this situation so I speak from a different perspective but must say that I cannot agree with your statement.

If this scumbag had killed my son there would be no way that I would rest until he was properly brought to justice for this actions, I would spend every awake moment and do everything in my power in pursuing this, I would never give up. Of course there is more than one way to solve this inaction on the part of the Thai government - and an avenue that could be worth serious consideration.

As you say you speak from a different perspective. One in which you can use logic along with the idea of revenge. Feelings don't work that way.

You might change your mind if you ever experience that kind of loss. The loss will always be with you but you don't have to suffer forever.