Salvation For 9.5 Million Poor Households

george

Salvation for the poor

The government will pay water bills for low-income households that consume fewer than 50 cubic litres each month.

Put 1 litre of water into a container 10cm x 10cm x 10cm and I reckon you've got a "cubic" litre. :o

But WOW! 50 litres a month = 1.667 litres a day! I knew old Samak was the generous caring type, deep down.

I'm guessing: the official statement was 50 units (the waterbill comes in units used, not in litres) and somebody messed up when translating units into either litres or cubic metres.

So can somebody tell us how many litres, or how many cubic meters is 1 unit in the water bill?

Regarding the assistance proposed for water it is clear that 50 Liters per month is a very small amount whilst 50 cubic meters per month is an enormous amount. It would be interesting to know exactly what unit of measurement is being used?

It seems to me that the beneficiaries of the proposed subsidies, apart from the transport company owners, will be those in the urban areas rather than those really poor farmers in the villages.

There are too many questions unanswered:-

• <LI class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0mm 0mm 0pt; mso-margin-top-alt: auto; mso-margin-bottom-alt: auto; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1; tab-stops: list 36.0pt">Definition of poor people? <LI class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0mm 0mm 0pt; mso-margin-top-alt: auto; mso-margin-bottom-alt: auto; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1; tab-stops: list 36.0pt">Units of measurement?
  • How measures will be implemented?

All smacks of political spin to me. It would be interested to know how it was presented in the Thai language press and TV news.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:owhy dont they just give them the dole a few 100bath per adult per month would not wreck thailand, but make the people who are working for them self pay some from of payment to the goverment like peple who have stalls also people who recycle plastic and glass ,cans, vendors,bargirls,say 10% of what they earn per month,aslo make anyone doing such jobs apply for a permit. :D

post-51735-1216191374_thumb.jpg

If poverty is being eradicated by the end of the year, why is this new program needed?

Sorry... but Thaksin holds the current world record for meaningless, absurd deadlines and ultimatums...

Bird flu eradicated in 60 days.... Drug free since 2003... Poverty free by 2008.... Resolve Deep South problems in 90 days (from 2005)... etc. etc... etc.... AND etc.

Salvation for the poor

BANGKOK: -- State kicks in nearly Bt50 billion for economic fillip and to help needy make ends meet.

The government will pay water bills for low-income households that consume fewer than 50 cubic litres each month.

--Xpress/The Nation 2008-07-16

&lt;deleted&gt; is a cubic litre?

Can't they get journos who understand what they are writing about? Or at least an editor who does?

litre is in the dictionary, mostly British use, they used it properly. &lt;deleted&gt; is a jurnos?

I am thinking this was supposed to read a cubic metre. After all, a cubic litre is not a unit of volume. And 50 litres is about enough water for a shower, 3 flushes and brushing your teeth. I think 1 cubic metre is 1000 litres of water, and I think it weighs 1 metric ton.

What's the big idea behind this decision?

Who gonna get benefit from this?

1] Poor people

2] Govt. with poor reputation.

3] Country with poor economical condition.

The day will not far that Thailand will head towards pre 1997 situation.

This is a TRT style giveaway, which further reduces the ability of the poor to look after themselves; it is exactly the worst thing long term that any government could do;

I think you're missing the point : this "giveaway" is absolutly not designed to help people (it will be only on the very short term)... but only to win the next elections.

For that matter, and on a political level, it's perfectly rational. I'm even surprised they didn't do it earlier.

:o

Before we had vote buying of course (bills given from mano a mano)... Now, we've just entered the industrial phase of vote buying.

Anyway more seriously, we forgot that Thaksin did it . From january 2004 to july 2005... It costed 92 billions THB ! (an Oil Fund was then created to pay back the debt... and the debt was paid back in... december 2007).

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2007/12/21...ss_30059842.php

So again, everybody know that it's a wrong policy. But... it's working perfectly well for electoral purposes.

And by the way, this circus proves that we are going to have indeed a new general elections. Soon.

Edited by cclub75

< First Thaivisa post >

Number of days after joining Thaivisa: 1,305 days

< First Thaivisa post >

Number of days after joining Thaivisa: 605 days

===========================================================================

Nice to see both you guys are onboard now...

:o:D

Salvation for the poor

BANGKOK: -- State kicks in nearly Bt50 billion for economic fillip and to help needy make ends meet.

Can't they get journos who understand what they are writing about? Or at least an editor who does?

litre is in the dictionary, mostly British use, they used it properly. &lt;deleted&gt; is a jurnos?

Do British use "cubic litre"? I think with litre, we don't need cubic. Am I right?

Hi its cubic Metre here in the uk

so if i fill a bath thats about 1 cubic metre (Meter if i spelt it wrong)

Salvation for the poor

Litre may be in the dictionary but cubic litres are not and the term is redundant.

I think cubic only applies for measuring distance. In Holland we got cubic meters. That is 1m3 its used for gas. But i cant see why you would want to use it for something that is used measuring volume. Because the whole point is transforming distance measurements into volume measurements.

OMG! Some of you guys are rather ambiguous with these measurements!

1 Litre = 1000 cubic cm

Litre is a measurement of VOLUME. Best imagine a box 10cm x 10cm x 10cm in size

There can be NO cubic litres because a Litre is already "cubic".

By the way 1 cubic meter = ??? litres .. who dares to calculate, heh? One litre is equal to 0.001 cubic metre and is denoted as 1 cubic decimetre (dm3). = Therefore 1 cubic meter = 1000 Litres so 50 cubic metres will = 50000 litres as another poster said the average swimming pool.

Imagine a slab 1 m x 1m and 10cm wide. How many Litres does it hold? 1 m is 100 cm so 10 Litres would fit along one side x 10 = 100 Litres! Than to make 1 cubic meter multipy the slabs by 10 (put 10 slabs together). Bingo! 1000 Litres

Well, i guess i must go online as disagreeing with the general consensus here as I think the move is a good one.

My mother in law is very poor and having her electric and water bill paid will be a big help to her. (and to me as i'm the one that usually ends up paying it)

She doesn't have any thing that she can drive or put fuel into so that part is moot. And there are no trains near her to ride the 3rd class ticket.

No buses either except songteaws and i don't think they are considered public buses.

But the electric bill and water bill help. The cooking (LP) gas is also moot as she is afraid of it and always builds fires from wood as most of the poor people do that i see around her neighborhood.

I'll say her thanks for her in English.

I believe governments around the world are looking for ways to help their poor to survive the economic downturn going on. Maybe there's a perfect method out there. For now, this one looks pretty good to me. Do i think my mother in law is going to abuse the amount of electricity she's using? I don't think she's ever wasted anything in her life. (except maybe an education)

fiddlehead quite true and I for one commend you for your post but the big problem is how will people collect???

Salvation for the poor

Do British use "cubic litre"? I think with litre, we don't need cubic. Am I right?

Big bath but then again once a year why not.

Salvation for the poor

:o I think they are probably refering to cubic Meters, not cubic Liters. Natural gas supply and water supply is normally measured in Cubic Meters. A cubic meter is a volume of 1 meter cubed. By the way (he-he) you misspelled the word liter. You have it "Anglified" as in Litre.

Just kidding.

Like Churchill said "the British and the Americans are two similiar cultures devided only by a common language."

Litre may be in the dictionary but cubic litres are not and the term is redundant.

I think cubic only applies for measuring distance. In Holland we got cubic meters. That is 1m3 its used for gas. But i cant see why you would want to use it for something that is used measuring volume. Because the whole point is transforming distance measurements into volume measurements.

This is what you get when Berlusconi-style government is on charge: a pack of "measures" that's good for the image of the politicians and bad for the whole country.

To subsidize the fuels is a nonsense in 2008: taxpayer money will fund the consumption of fossil fuels that are imported, expensive and polluting. But Samak and co will look like the pretty cool guys. And they need a popular support to counter the resistance to their attempt to change the laws (just like the Berlusconi guys) in order to protect themselves and "the big boss" behind the curtain.

Public transport is a right move but ridiculously shy in comparison with the fuel subsidies.

These billions should better be used by distributing them to the really needy: believe me, they won't spend it on fuel but rather on basic expenses with much better impact on the economy of the country!

Salvation for the poor

Don't you remember this one? It's a cube that measures one litre on each side. :o

Salvation for the poor

Don't you remember this one? It's a cube that measures one litre on each side. :D

a cube with one liter on ever side sounds very big

:D :D :o

Salvation for the poor

Big bath but then again once a year why not.

Big bath? Try this:

1m x 1m x 1m = 1m3 (a cube in which you might be able to sit)

2m x 1m x 0.5m = 1m3 (an extra wide coffin in which you may rest in peace)

Salvation for the poor

not sure about journos but there's definitely no such thing as a cubic litre just like no such thing as a square rai. Anyhow, Express writing has always sucked.

Wow, so that's free bus and free trains! Pretty cool. So with a bag of sticky rice and a few coconuts, you could have a touring holiday of the Southern Peninsulas with a few nights kip on a plastic mat on the beach. Total cost - practically nowt! That's kinda nice, but i don't think it will kick start the economy. probably a move to ensure the poor bastards turn up for their shifts on the grindstone. In Phnom Penh they were shipping around the workers in lorries, standing up packed like sardines - like about 200-300 on the back of a small lorry - eerie - thousands being shipped to the big factories on the outskirts -

Gives one some perpective on one's condition - oh dear, I have to go to Suan Phlu for 90 day reporting - oh, woe is me, how can they subject me to such cruel treatment and interrupt my life of ease and comfort............ :o

Now I'm rambling, better do something useful.......

not go cambodia look pattaya pour bastards in a box free transport after a hard days night

post-62639-1216223095_thumb.jpg

Wow Tough crowd :o

When my wife just told me about this I thought hmmmm

pretty nice.

I mean all her relatives in the country get free elec,water & cooking gas according to her for 6 months. There is also the free bus & train but they do not leave the country.

I thought that was pretty nice & maybe better than the 6 hundred stimulus I got from my gov :D

When I asked her about coupons she said this is a better way because less corruption. Not none but less :D

So then I notice it here on TV & see mainly it caused confusion about cubic measurement :D & all the usual Gov corruption speak........Tough Crowd indeed :D

I'll add my reply to the humor from the beginning of the post. If you cant understand what a cubic Liter is or even how to measure the volume of liquids, how in gods names did you manage to turn your computers on to even question this ?

Sorry if that's off topic or sounds blunt but the ignorance of some of these posts is just beyond comprehension.

George posts an interesting topic and 37 muppets who cant even do basic maths actually question the post based on their own stupidity.

The mind boggles !

not sure about journos but there's definitely no such thing as a cubic litre just like no such thing as a square rai. Anyhow, Express writing has always sucked.

Are you a troll or just stupid ?

There can be a cubic 'anything' and a square 'anything' if the value of 'anything' has a numeric value. Tut Tut, You need to be at school ! Not making yourself look silly on public forums.

Salvation for the poor

I think a cubic litre is 1 litre in a cuboid shaped vessel, lol :o

Salvation for the poor

Well you could take that argument further. How long (or wide) is a a Rai ? Lets say for the sake of argument that 1 Rai = 5cm !

Therefore a Square Rai would be 5cm x 5cm which is indeed a total area of 25cm.

If you then wanted a cubic Rai in this case you would take the 25cm and make it 5 times as deep, so a cubic Rai would be 25 x 5 = 125

How hard is that to measure ?

funny

I thought the post was about poor people and their misery not about unit of measurement LOL

and as always most of the "help" will end up in the pockets of the not so needy

... e.g. 1 cubic metre = 1000 litres. I am unaware of the term cubic litre.

For all you GWB disciples out there, that's 264.17 gallons (US). Or for those of the Empire, 219.97 gallons (UK)

PS: journos are journalists

With the debate and disagreemeent on cubic and square measurements, I am surprised that no one has asked for or provided the CV and background of the participants. It would not appear to require a rocket scientist to calulate or google the answers. Doubt that it will affect the poor of Thailand, more than likely they have no intrest at all.