Survivor Benefits For Thai-german Child

mellow1

My sister-in-law recently got divorced from a German man. He is now coming around saying that if he dies, the child will receive no support whatsoever. The reason for all this, I have no idea, but my wife wants me to ask about this, to any of you, who may have the answer. My wife knows, that if I should die, our son will receive survivor benefits until he is 18 years old. I have already done the paperwork should this happen. I would imagine Germany has similar benefits for children. The child in question (my Nephew) lives here in Thailand, he has dual Nationality, and the parents were married 14 years. I cannot read German, nor do I know someone whom I can ask for this info. Please supply the answer should you know it. My wife and her sister, will appreciate your assistance.

My sister-in-law recently got divorced from a German man. He is now coming around saying that if he dies, the child will receive no support whatsoever. The reason for all this, I have no idea, but my wife wants me to ask about this, to any of you, who may have the answer. My wife knows, that if I should die, our son will receive survivor benefits until he is 18 years old. I have already done the paperwork should this happen. I would imagine Germany has similar benefits for children. The child in question (my Nephew) lives here in Thailand, he has dual Nationality, and the parents were married 14 years. I cannot read German, nor do I know someone whom I can ask for this info. Please supply the answer should you know it. My wife and her sister, will appreciate your assistance.

Since the child has dual nationality, my guess is that your sister in law would be best going to the german embassy, to ask for clarification.

cheers

onzestan

No governemnt will pay child support if said child and Mother is living overseas.

The german bloke should take out life insurance then if he kops it your sister-in-law will receive a lump saw,assuming she is the beneficiary name of course.

HTH

Edited by JOHN2

No governemnt will pay child support if said child and Mother is living overseas.

The german bloke should take out life insurance then if he kops it your sister-in-law will receive a lump saw,assuming she is the beneficiary name of course.

HTH

Yes, but it's also true that a father cannot disinherit a child without good reason.

As i said ask for clarification of your legal status at the embassy.

onzestan

incorrect information. the german government does. mother should contact the german embassy which will relay all necessary information and step to take to her.

Onzestan is right. in case of the father's death the child is covered by some of the strictest inheritance laws that exist. that is... IF there is something to inherit.

The German government has benefits for children of German parent(s).

IT MAKES NO DIFFERENCE IF THEY LIVE OUTSIDE THE COUNTRY

Benefits are still payable.

All answers can be provided at the German embassy.

I am always amazed at the people who get on this site and spew such WRONG answers and remarks.

The German government has benefits for children of German parent(s).

IT MAKES NO DIFFERENCE IF THEY LIVE OUTSIDE THE COUNTRY

Benefits are still payable.

All answers can be provided at the German embassy.

I am always amazed at the people who get on this site and spew such WRONG answers and remarks.

Thank you for the responses. bikeriou47, your response pretty much goes along with what I believed to be correct. As I said, I already filed papers to make sure that my son is covered, and found out not only is he covered, but so is my wife, as long as she is caring for a minor child,even living here in Thailand. Why wait till I'm dead and gone, and leave these thing for them to try and deal with, plus have months of waiting, with uncertainties. I was also sent a confirmation letter, as to the amount of benefits they would receive, were it to happen, as to the date of the letter. I have also told my wife to tell her sister to go to the German Embassy, and present her divorce papers, so that she may have her child support directly deposited into her account. She would also have the benefit of receiving all the child support due, not just partial payments, without ever receiving the balance due. You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink. Thanks again for the responses.

An interesting post OP, and one I hadn't really thought of. I do have private insurance, but never really thought the government of my home country might pay anything to a child outside the country after I'm gone. It's hard enough for your decent average guy to get much at all when you're living in the country let alone when you're dead... Normally you have to be a drop out, illegal immigrant, female, gay, lesbian, religious cult, etc for rules there to work in your favour... not a normal dad with a child... :o

Would you mind posting a few more details? What country are you referring to and what forms did you fill in? :D

BTW No offence intended to any of the ethnic/sexual/religious majorities mentioned above... just a little rare for a boy like me to have rights in his own country... :D

Edited by AFKAFSinLOS

Actually the Father can be forced to pay child support through the German Courts. The German Government will go as far as help collect the payments due. The Mother does not have to travel to Germany to activate such action and can do so from within Thailand using a German Attorney. Also the child stands to gain Survivors Benefits should the German husband, ex husband etc expire until the child reaches the age of 18 years.

My sister-in-law recently got divorced from a German man. He is now coming around saying that if he dies, the child will receive no support whatsoever.

May be he says so to make sure that noone has any incentives to bring the day of his death closer?